The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby Fenlason » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:24 pm

We got the phone poles picked up and brought home. It was a bit of work, those things are HEAVY! We clamp a pulley to the front of the trailer.. hooked a logging chain to a pole.. ran a cable from the chain, up to the pulley, and then back to my Uncle's garden tractor. It took some finagling.. but we got them. I was worried about making it up out of his field back to the road but that went ok. Back at the house I was worried about getting up that last steep part of the driveway. We chose to unhook the trailer, and use my kubota [tractor] to pull it up. It just wasn't heavy enough. In 4 wheel drive, and the rear end locked.. it just spun.. digging holes in the driveway. I have a side lawn between our pond and the hill, I drove the trailer in there, and then used the tractor to drag the 3 biggest poles separately up over the hill.

I was then able to haul the trailer up. I have 3 of the poles hauled to where we will use them. I did haul the other 2 out to the woods [just to get them off the lawn].. The other stuff is unloaded, and the trailer is taken care of.

This ended up taking a good part of the day.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby caseydog » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Hello threads! Yes, incase you were wondering, I am still alive.

Lots going on. My next season of auction shoots is upon me. I am going to Seattle on Monday. My health issues are working out. I'v lost weight, mostly in my belly. I just had to buy new pants because the old ones were way too big.

I've had some time to do a lot of work on my house. It looks great. So does my now ten-year-old MINI CooperS. People are surprised that it is ten years old.

Hey sheepman, I am looking at eBikes. I'm more interested in the ones that provide pedal support than ones that do it all for you. We get stiff winds here, and sometimes I need a little help to overcome the wind -- especially since I live in somewhat urban conditions where I need to keep a pretty steady pace to co-exist with cars. Any suggestions?

I hope everyone is doing well.

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:26 am

A drizzley morning, with heavy rain and wind on it's way. We have hmm 2 or 3 rides happening today. I am not sure if the weather will impact the other rides, but our first ride is still a go for 11:00.

We did get out for a little trail work this morning.

We went to an incredible halloween party last night... cycling friends.. although none of the other cycling friends showed up.. it was mostly their family.. or classmate friends from years ago.

The house was VERY decorated.. it was amazing.. every room everywhere.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:31 am

Aaaaand it looks like I conjured up a Cd. :o .. I was just talking about you.. :lol:

I am glad to hear you are doing better.

E bikes.. I don't know a lot about them. We sell Specialized bikes.. and have a demo.. although have yet to sell one. Another I have always liked the looks of are... hmmm lets see if I can remember. https://vintageelectricbikes.com
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby crttaz » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:17 pm

I buddy of mine does demos for Specialized, he's based out of Austin. TX area now.

I've been looking at a e-cycle for just basic transportation. Able to do 35 mph to stay up with traffic on side roads.

crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:44 am

Finally getting a bit cooler in general around here. Looking like work should be wrapping up for the most part this week or maybe next week. Might get some light rain today, but otherwise should be cool and cloudy.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:58 am

Hi guys... We have been without power and and internet since Monday Morning. We had a pretty bad storm come through.. and about 1/2 a million places lost their power. A lot of trees came down.. roads have been closed.. schools of course closed...
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:00 pm

Fenlason wrote:Hi guys... We have been without power and and internet since Monday Morning. We had a pretty bad storm come through.. and about 1/2 a million places lost their power. A lot of trees came down.. roads have been closed.. schools of course closed...

Glad to hear you have power again. Did you have any damage? We had a rainy day on Wednesday, but nothing serious. It put us behind a day at work so I have to work tomorrow for 4 or 5 hours.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:18 pm

I had 5 or 6 trees down or damaged in the back yard.. other than the work to clean up.. they aren't an issues.. some poplar.. and some not so healthy wild cherry.

Out on the trails.. it's a bit worse. I have cleaned up about 60 trees so far, and we are just starting. Some big stuff just up rooted, other big stuff just snapped. I have someone coming to help tomorrow.. and others on Sunday. It will be a bit of work.. but there are worse problems to have.

A neighbor had a BIG maple come down on their house.. a huge old tree.. and it just uprooted. They said they had no water coming through the roof, but the door from the garage to the kitchen doesn't work.

I didn't have access to the news so I haven't heard a lot. I have since seen up at Carrabassett valley.. they had some bad flooding.. washing out roads and taking out a lot of bridges. Perhaps some structure damage, but I don't think that was real bad.

Right by the house at first.. the road to town.. or heading the other way toward Laurie's work.. thing looked pretty good.. and I was wondering what the problem was with the power.. then I drove over to a few other nearby roads.. and Wow! :o It hit a lot of the state, but the damage varied greatly.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:57 am

Sounds pretty nasty. Hope all your cleanup goes well.

I have to work today, but it is so wet out that we won't start till 11 or even noon. Luckily it should only be 3 hours or so.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:16 pm

The state will be some time on clean up.. and the linemen have a lot of work to do. Our clean up is going ok... I have been focusing on the trails vs the lawn so far... We had someone come help us on trails today, and have more coming tomorrow. Many of the places we hit today, weren't that bad at all... surprisingly.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby crttaz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:11 pm

BMW commercial during NFL game just now, looks to be towing a Little Guy tear drop.

crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:34 am

crttaz wrote:I buddy of mine does demos for Specialized, he's based out of Austin. TX area now.

I've been looking at a e-cycle for just basic transportation. Able to do 35 mph to stay up with traffic on side roads.

unless things have recently change.. e-bikes are limited by law to a top speed of 20mph. [on the roads] The Vintage E-bike has a switch.. allowing for a limited range at faster.. but stating it is for off road only... :roll: ;)
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:52 am

We are seasonably warm today.. but showery.

hmm I don't recall if I mentioned.. but Dave planned a trail work day for us yesterday.

He has scheduled it for 11:00.. I went out early to leaf blow a few trails that we have otherwise cleared Saturday. [We did have someone come help us Saturday, that couldn't make it Sunday] Dave and Angela couldn't remember what time they scheduled us to start.. so ended up here a couple hours early... so we headed out to do some nearby by work.. Laurie headed back to the house for 11:00 to see if other's showed up.. We had one more. Then for a late lunch.. Laurie brought back Angela [to pick up her daughter.. and pick up food] and Laurie came back with another [that I knew was coming late].

We got a lot of work done. The back left corner of our property received a lot of damage. There are a lot of fir over there.. and the adjoining neighbors property was nearly clear cut.. leaving my trees exposed to wind that they haven't been used to. While we had people.. we got messes like that we knew about. But we also did some other places.. where we could get some descent trails cleared. We did hit some areas that did not have much damage. There were some branches down.. a few trees but nothing serious. There we split in 2 groups... and got some milage cleared. :D

I am sore and tired today.. and have an appointment at mid day.. so perhaps just house work and such.. until my appointment.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:49 am

Yeah, warmer than average here and wet today. But, the prediction is for overnight freezing temps and highs in the 40s by end of week.

Just doing some fix it things around the house and maybe run some errands today. Back to work tomorrow.
toypusher
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic