Mushroom Vents

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Mushroom Vents

Postby vttrampers » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:13 am

So after 3,500 miles of roaming about with Mr. Towed, my DIY Benroy-ish 5x8 teardrop, I am in the process of making some changes, some major (retrofitting a Dexter axle) and some minor. In the minor category I am considering installing a couple of mushroom vents to improve ventilation. Something like these: http://www.rvstuff.com/ez-catalog/X325604/17/17480AW

I have a Fantastic Fan/vent and with that cracked open and my door windows open a bit I can keep condensation to a minimum in most any conditions (the walls and ceiling are well insulated). However, the problem is that the air entering the windows blows pretty much in our faces. Not the best in chilly damp weather! So I'm thinking that some way to keep the windows closed but still let in some ventilating air would be nice. On the other hand, I'm a little leery of cutting big holes in my walls...

Has anyone had any experience with these? Or other approaches to adding ventilation?

Thanks!

Steve
vttrampers
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Mushroom Vents

Postby friz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:35 am

vttrampers wrote:So after 3,500 miles of roaming about with Mr. Towed, my DIY Benroy-ish 5x8 teardrop, I am in the process of making some changes, some major (retrofitting a Dexter axle) and some minor. In the minor category I am considering installing a couple of mushroom vents to improve ventilation. Something like these: http://www.rvstuff.com/ez-catalog/X325604/17/17480AW

I have a Fantastic Fan/vent and with that cracked open and my door windows open a bit I can keep condensation to a minimum in most any conditions (the walls and ceiling are well insulated). However, the problem is that the air entering the windows blows pretty much in our faces. Not the best in chilly damp weather! So I'm thinking that some way to keep the windows closed but still let in some ventilating air would be nice. On the other hand, I'm a little leery of cutting big holes in my walls...

Has anyone had any experience with these? Or other approaches to adding ventilation?

Thanks!

Steve
I have these vents on my CLC tear. Construction is cheap as compared to the rest of my build. They are not designed to be used on a vertical surface and do not do well in the wake of a vehicle for keeping water out. I didn't follow CLC's instructions for modifying the vents. Mine did not have enough threads to make this work. I mounted them in the stock configuration and fashioned travel plugs to keep things dry.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Homebrewer25 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:09 pm

If your galley is not air tight you could mount the air vents in the galley wall.
You could mount them down low so the air gets drawn in near your feet and flows up toward the fan, and there would be no issue with water getting in.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby vttrampers » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks for the quick replies!

Friz: Very interesting to get your feedback from the CLC world. I have spent some time on the CLC teardrop builders forum to check out people's experience with the mushrooms, but given the non-standard mounting approach it was unclear if their issues would apply to me. Your installation is more like what mine would be (as opposed to the CLC modified approach), although I would have a flat mounting surface so the issues related to mounting on a curved face wouldn't apply. Still, the fact that you experienced leakage in the vertical installation is exactly what I was worried about! I think I am going to keep looking for alternative approaches.

Homebrewer25: Sheesh... I never even thought of that - it would definitely solve the leakage issue. My galley hatch, however, is pretty much airtight (we close it up tight at night) and there are no other galley openings - all electrical stuff is sealed and no plumbing. So good idea, but I don't think it would work for me.

I'm now considering small windows installed just aft of the doors, but that is big bucks compared to the simple vent idea...
vttrampers
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion