electronics. ?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: electronics. ?

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:03 pm

We have a Jensen built in, plays DVD and CD along with the radio. We have a huge DVD collection but rarely watch them camping. I found out while I was measuring my power usage that the motor spinning takes a lot of power. So for TV, use the Apple extension to the set and use our T-Mobile account - no cost to stream Netflix. We download a few movies from there also and play them when there is no cell signal. As far as background music/sounds, I have about 60 mood/nature/natural/relaxation cds. I ripped them to MP3s and put them on a flash drive. So low power again. Nice and relaxing, I don't like everyone music and I'm sure not everyone like my favorites so mood stuff seems to go over well.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Karen Clancy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:48 pm

I installed a round marine in dash unit back in my Galley area along with a set of marine cube speakers that I made a magnetic bracket so I can just plug them in & stick then up to the metal trailer under side , it is also a bluetooth so I can stream of the phone . Works out pretty good .
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MtnDon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:58 pm

I skipped the built in approach and use portable equipment. Very easy to upgrade that way ;) We mostly do music. The CTC does has an LED TV but it is seldom used. If we did want to watch a DVD we can do that with a laptop.

For music we source from either my wife's Samsung Galaxy phone or my Huawei Media Pad tablet. With a 64 GB card we can carry the entire collection of 8000+ tracks and still have space for whatever. We also have Pandora Premiuym which allows saving several streams to the device for play when wi-fi is not available or when we don't want to use data.

The sound is "bluetoothed" to a Fugoo portable waterproof and dustproof speaker. It has amazing battery life. They have several versions. We have the Style with 40 hours (@ half volume). Great sound fidelity too. I love the Fugoo; it travels around the house and workshop at home and loves to go camping!
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:49 pm

• I installed a spare Pioneer car stereo into my trailer, the same model I put in my truck in 2005. It plays CD's if I wish, or radio, if I can receive stations thru the marine antenna I have hidden inside my cabin (actually works pretty good). It also has an auxiliary input, through which I can feed in recorded MP3's from my phone, tablet, or Sansa Clip Jam MP3 player (I had a Fuze, but it died after much abuse). Since I rarely am in my cabin, until way past dark thirty, I usually just use earbuds, and keep quiet for my neighbors; or, I just listen to the night sounds of nature.
  • If the weather is bad, very bad, which seems to follow me from campsite to campsite, I keep a Baofeng UV-5X ham handset tuned to the NWS for alerts and warnings, and my Lenovo 8" tablet to the nearest local weather radar.
  • If I can't sleep, which is rare, I have hundreds of MP3 recordings on all my devices, including old-time radio comedy, mystery, and sci-fi radio programs, and I have over 300 classic, good, bad, and real bad sci-fi/horror/action-adventure/crime/eclectic movies from the 20's-10's on my tablet. Everything from Metropolis (1927) to This Island Earth (1955), and Nosferatu (1922) to Le Mans (1971). From 50's sci-fi drive-in movies, to the movies I really liked and watch over and over again. Plus 007 movies, Universal and Hammer classics, and newsreel and propaganda films from the 40's & 50's, just for variety. But, mostly, I just sleep.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:59 pm

I use a small portable "Jawbone" Bluetooth speaker. My phone has my music on it so it is very convenient. A plus is the speaker doubles as an external speaker for my CB I use on the road.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 am

Personally if you want music in your camp that is fine, don't assume others in campground want any music or your personal selection of music, yes I do enjoy my music, but I am not sure you will like my choice so I try not to force it on you... Its analogous to idiot who runs generator at 10PM when camp ground is going quiet and people are settling in for the night...

Bluetooth headphone might be best for person that absolutely has to have loud music...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Cosmo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Many choices these days to enjoy those polkas with yodeling :)
Executive Summary:
Use a wire to plug your music source output into an amplified speaker system like a small radio with an auxiliary input OR use blue tooth instead of the wire connection.

However audio used incorrectly can be like lighting on a moonless night - you miss the Milky way.

The Blather:
The old way still works - 8 Track, Walkman or cassette player can still be plugged into many amplified speaker systems.

For your pleasure and the profit margin of the makers Blue tooth does away with the simple wire to connect things together and replaces it with an owners manual which is bigger than the device (and you better not loose it) a transmitter and receiver in order to and add frustration, shorten battery life, increase expense, eliminate the possibility of battery replacement and introducing hacking security risks for you... Please upgrade the firmware weekly - see page 279 in the manual for instructions and lots of technical jargon translated by someone for whom English is a second language.

I am assuming your music source is recorded for those places that only offer 10 religious stations... I can only tolerate several hours of descriptions of the fiery lake they are telling me I will spend eternity in before I kill myself and willingly jump into the lake to just get on with it.

There are many simple variations you can use - for instance
A portable stereo radio with a wire input a for MP3 or phone.
$55
https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D19BK ... dpSrc=srch

$100
https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-HDR-16-R ... ereo+radio

You don't have blue teeth - no problem. You can plug a Bluetooth transmitter into any device with an earphone output jack and aux input socket - and use a blue tooth speaker. Your phone may have Bluetooth so you might just need to "mate it" (which will send you to the fiery lake - you better "marry them" to be safe) with any blue tooth speaker.

Another advantage of some blue tooth speakers is they function as a speaker phone when your phone is paired (I mean married) with the speaker for better sound quality.

There are many other options available too. Knowing your price range and if you are planning to use an 8 track, cassette player, wax cylinders, phone, tablet, computer etc. as a music source.

If you are using digital media and have a way to download music or convert it from CDs you can use a $20 mp3 player plugged directly into an amplified speaker or radio etc. I have heard some people steal music from youtube with downloader software like "free YouTube Downloader" which allows you to download videos and music to your local disk drive for uploading to other digital players. But this surely gives you a one way ticket directly to the fiery lake with no plea bargaining.

If you need blue teeth you can buy a Bluetooth transmitter and or receiver and go directly to a blue tooth speaker.

Blue tooth transmitter and receiver. This does the same thing as a $2 wire but costs you $60 and allows your private data and identity to be stolen.
https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluet ... iver&psc=1

Many Bluetooth speakers available to feed audio into. For instance I have heard this one and its very nice for a small speaker - also pricey - there are many other choices available. This one can be uses as a speaker phone too which is very convenient.

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundLink-M ... aker&psc=1

Get that music going and get down with your bad self. You will recognize me at the campground. I will have a frapaccino in my BIG martini glass and be sauntering around camp in my Hugh Hefner brand polyester robe, and faux ostrich skin slippers, munching on a delicious Keurig-Waffle-Weiner, singing Sinatra tunes along with my boom box. This gives Trailer Bunny time to quaff her beehive (…umm no, I was referring to her hairdo, but I will float the idea and see if she is receptive).

Or you can enjoy the sounds of nature.

=Cosmo

Last edited by Cosmo on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby friz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:36 pm

My first outings included some speakers I could plug into my phone. I never used them. After discovering how sensitive to noise I am, in a campground, on a beautiful evening, I decided to leave them at home. I take some earbuds just in case.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:33 pm

MtnDon wrote:I

The sound is "bluetoothed" to a Fugoo portable waterproof and dustproof speaker. It has amazing battery life. They have several versions. We have the Style with 40 hours (@ half volume). Great sound fidelity too. I love the Fugoo; it travels around the house and workshop at home and loves to go camping!

Thanks for the tip on the Fugoo. This is the way I'm probably going to go. I like some background music and sometime when you have noisy neighbors music can help drown out their noise.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby cajundood » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:45 pm

I'll be going a bit "high tech" on my standee build... :twisted:
This is (i believe) a unique feature that I will use. It's borderline "glamping"
"everyone knows "that guy" with the 40ft. diesel pusher that invites everyone to come over and watch the game on his 40" tv thats mounted on a motorized slide-out. :R
LOL.... not me :FNP
but I do, on occasion like a movie or some music and instead of using a power hungry dvd player, I'll be miracasting the movie from my phone.
I have all of my music stored on the phone as well so I can bluetooth my music to the system.
The frame will be able to rotate so that it can be viewed from either the inside or outside depending.
Holes for the 4x10 speakers will be on the sides of the tv for sound.
I can watch a movie or football game while sitting by the campfire....or......I just lie in
bed and watch a movie or just turn it off and stare through my "stargazer" window.... 8)

Well....thats the plan anyways......hope it all works when i finish.... :thumbsup:

cajundood
Teardrop Builder

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:47 am

In our teardrop, we built in a marine audio receiver with two speakers in the galley, and another two speakers in the cabin. It was not bluetooth, but it did have an audio input jack. So we got one of these..... https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-R ... B008AGQMQC .... which works really well. Depending on cell phone service, you can stream Pandora or Spotify, or just play your downloaded music.

I'm rebuilding a 1917 13' Serro Scotty right now, and will have it loaded with "the essentials". At the heart of the audio system will be a 6.2" touchscreen bluetooth audio receiver, driving four 6-1/2" component speakers, and that will also be tied into a 19" LED tv/dvd combo. The tv will only get used when the weather keeps us trapped inside, but we'll use the stereo all the time.

In addition to the audio/video systems, I recommend installing some USB and 12VDC charging outlets to keep the mobile electronics powered up. Something like this works great.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FJRYSK/re ... i_col_ti_3
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:35 am

I have a hacked pogo plug media server. It plugs into a cig lighter, provides WiFi and a webpage with about 200 movies. Gives my son options while we are on the road, and comes in handy on cold nights so we can watch something on our iPads before bed. Also has a bunch of music that can be streamed to phone or iPad.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion