COCONUT OIL

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

COCONUT OIL

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:02 pm

COCONUT OIL

I have had my first cooking experience with coconut oil as the cooking media instead of butter or veggie oil. I was most impressed. My old square wagner skillet is the almost daily breakfast skillet of choice. I did French toast and was literally able to brush out the crumbs. No sticking no prying the egg batter loose from the skillet. We were doing some investigating on holistic alzheimers aids and coconut oil came up. It lowers the bad colestoral and raises the good. It has proven to be an aid in alzheimers, Parkinsons and Lou Gericks disease. We intend to use this as a cooking aid and utilize the benefits. I will report further later for as I said this was a just 10 minutes ago breakfast cooking experience. I went ahead and melted enough to coat the skillet before storage. It coats a bit like bee 's wax but a thinner coating. More later.........

NEXT DAY.....

Browned some sausage link slices and covered with beaten eggs for a scrambled egg casserole and covered with cheese. I had once again melted about a teaspoon full of coconut oil when

i started to cook , and again was able to wipe out the pan when I finished with a paper towel. I like this stuff to cook with !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: COCONUT OIL

Postby friz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks, I might have to give it a try.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:37 pm

works great as hand lotion also - I like it. I found the paste version a bit hard to work with when it is cold and sometimes a bit too watery when over 75 degrees but I also found that is I mix the cooking oil version with the paste it makes it a 'softer' paste to work with for using as a hand lotion when colder than it's liquidizing temperature of 75 degrees. :)
gudmund
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:24 pm

I did a carrot cake last night in my old 1940 ish Lodge chicken frier. Set the oven at 325 instead of the 350 recommended and used the cooking time for a bundt cake. I had warmed the skillet and melted in about a tablespoon of coconut oil paste. I coated the skillet well and to complete , tossed in some flour to coat with. This proved to be a dumb move as the lumpy flour probably should have been sifted on lightly to dust the pan instead I had a lumpy mess. So I grabbed a couple sheets of paper toweling and mopped the mess around. It left a nice oily flour enriched paste on the surface. Poured in the cake and popped it into the oven. It was done to perfection. Now that dreaded moment I took a pizza pan and placed it on the skillet and inverted the collection. I took a moment for a little prayer and then peeked. It came out as perfect as perfect could be. A little cream cheese icing after it cooled a bit and I settled in with a big glass of milk and a still warm slice of cake. I lightly rinsed out the skillet and couldn't help but notice it was blacker shinier and smoother than it was when I started. I really love this stuff.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ae6black » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks Bob, but I can't remember ever seeing this stuff in the store.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:38 am

Me either Art but it's there right with the Crisco and other cooking shortenings and oils.

Here is an aisle in Wal-Mart Image

I circled the one I recognized I think the one to the left is another brand of coconut oil as well. I couldn't make out the liquid but I am sure it is there also.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby IndyTom » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:20 am

Be careful if you are deep frying with it. I am old school southern and I have a grease can on my stove, and just about any leftover fat that I have goes into it. I ended up with with a fair amount of coconut oil mixed into what was mainly bacon grease. I had a real problem with foaming when I was frying some potatoes, and the coconut oil is the only thing I can think of that could have caused it. I nearly had a boil over had I not caught it in time and that would have been disastrous. Other than that, I agree with everything Bobhenry is saying. I love coconut oil, both to cook with, and on my hands in the winter time.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:00 pm

The can warns against temps above 375!!! deep frying occurs at 400 - 425 so it is not recommended right on the label. I have fried eggs baked a cake and slow fried some pork chops and even fried some French toast all with amazing results. I love this stuff. AND NO there is absolutely no taste to it.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby IndyTom » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Guess I need to learn to read labels........ :oops:
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:13 pm

OOPS Dr Gourmets web site says 350 degrees.....

The smoke point of coconut oil is actually quite low by comparison to other oils. Unrefined coconut oil smokes in the range of 350°F. That's about the same as butter.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:55 pm

I've been using coconut oil for several years and like it. (I can't digest any type of dairy...not even butter.) Coconut oil does splatter more than other oils; but, that's okay. I use coconut oil a lot; but, sometimes olive oil is better. It just depends on what I'm doing.

The company, SO Delicious makes a whipped cream alternative, called CocoWhip, that is really yummy. It is usually housed in the health food freezer section. However, if you want to buy it for Thanksgiving, get it at least two weeks before. Any later than that and they will be sold out! (I make a yummy sweet potato pie, using canned coconut milk...lower calories and less cholesterol than sweetened condensed or canned milk.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby CaptD » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:45 am

I have been using refined coconut oil for the last 2 years now. I first tried it to season some skillets and ended up liking Crisco better (stick style with no butter added). Then I tried it as a cooking oil and liked bacon grease better. Coconut oil is much healthier to use for cooking no doubt. Where I have settled on using refined coconut oil only is for wiping cast iron with after cooking. Stored some pieces months between uses and never had any rancid smell. Keep in mind that there are different types of coconut oil. Virgin/unrefined coconut oil smells like coconuts. Refined coconut oil is almost non smelling and tasting. The type I use states "This creamy, expeller-pressed coconut oil is refined for a neutral flavor and a higher smoke point of 400 degrees F. A perfect choice for recipes where a coconut flavor is not desired. Ideal for baking, frying and body care." Above/at 78 degrees F coconut oil is a liquid and below that a white-ish solid that needs melting for use. Capt D.
Last edited by CaptD on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Pro Line 7x7x24
2001 Ford E 250
2011 WR 250R
2007 KLR 650
2007 TW 200
CaptD
Teardrop Builder

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:18 pm

I too am a coconut oil lover. I use it in my cast iron to season it and in my hair, on my face, arms, legs. It is a great moisturizer! Haven't had any problems with rancid smells in the CI's since I started using it.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron