How fast can a NT 5x8 trailer go?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

How fast can a NT 5x8 trailer go?

Postby Joe4Camping » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:07 am

Hello,

Brand new member here, planning on building and crafting a TD. I've read countless posts here on TNTTT, and feel ready to take the plunge. First question: The NT 5x8 trailer seems to be a popular base to start with. I'm curious, how fast have other TD'ers been able to travel with these trailers? And, is there noticeable shimmy that needs to be overcome?

Many thanks!
Joe4Camping
Teardrop Advisor

Re: How fast can a NT 5x8 trailer go?

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:18 am

Mine has over 20K miles on it. Same axle hubs and bearings it came with. I did upgrade to larger tires. If there is a concern, it would be with the tires. But I know several people that have gone many miles with the stock tires. As for speed, I try and never go faster then 65-70 MPH. Not because it's a NT trailer, but just because I'm towing a trailer, any trailer.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Joe4Camping » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Perfect, thanks. I may upgrade to 14" tires, with appropriate wheel spacers (haven't decided on the width of the spacers yet, I'll figure that out once I get the trailer).
Joe4Camping
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:02 pm

I used 1" spacers with 15 X6 rims with zero backspacing. But I would build out and check the rims you use before ordering spacers to be sure. Good luck!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rkanz » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 pm

I built my TD on an aluminum NT trailer. I bought new 12" wheels with Kenda radial tires from E trailer. This summer I towed the trailer 2000 miles across Nevada and Utah at speeds of 65 to 70 mph. Tongue weight is about 10% depending on how I load the trailer. It towed perfect, the trailer is realatively light at around 600 pounds. I would not tow at those speeds with the stock tires.
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby swoody126 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:39 am

the REAL QUESTION is

¿CAN YOU STOP?

bearings and tires can be upgraded to components that will do the speed BUTT

¿CAN YOU STOP?

A major component to the answer to the OP's Q is

¿CAN YOU STOP?

AND

¿CAN YOU STOP SAFELY?

my F-350 CAN SAFELY STOP virtually any TD or TT

my Jeep ¿maybe ±?

it aint the trailer that necessarily governs how fast you can go

it is the ability of the TV to STOP THE COMBINATION SAFELY

just this old man's 2¢ worth

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:48 am

I bought a northern tool 5x8 landscape trailer. After she was complete, I didn't like the 12" wheels. Borrowed a 13" tire & wheel from my buddies shop. No fit!! I figured at least a 1" spacer would be needed. I witnessed a buddy totalling his Roadrunner back in 1980 due to wheel spacers, and lousy wheels!. So they're not for me, even on a 1000lb trailer. I would weigh the thought of a wider axel to allow the use of bigger wheels. Or, like l decided. Buy good grade tires, use Timken bearings, good quality grease. I pull my TD at 75mph on freeways. Keep it loaded with no more than what is needed. Everything else in the truck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Forgot to say, I stayed with the 12" wheels, just getting ready to from 4.80 -12 to 5.30-12s. Higher load range. Tows like dream though. Nice and level.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Joe4Camping wrote:Perfect, thanks. I may upgrade to 14" tires, with appropriate wheel spacers (haven't decided on the width of the spacers yet, I'll figure that out once I get the trailer).

• My original axle was very small, with 8" wheels. I absolutely refused to consider using that size wheel, and momentarily considered getting 12" wheels (which were on sale at Northern Tool, at the time), but decided to go bigger, into familiar territory, by using automotive-sized wheels with bigger, cooler-running bearings. I've had many cars with tires in the 14"-16" size range, and never had any wheel bearing problems with any, so that was proof of the bigger wheel/bearing theory to me.
  • I was on a very limited build budget at the time, making me stay with the small axle, but I sourced big bearings/hubs (with five lugs, for automotive/trailer wheels) pretty cheaply thru a friend, and my eventual choice of using 14" wheels was for build economy, too. I did spend a large amount (comparatively) on a set of quality adapter/spacers to make the 14" wheels/tires fit, but I've used many spacers over the years, and these were better than any, so I had no qualms about using them.
  • I always planned on a braked axle upgrade, later, for when I could justify the expense vs just getting by, so I agree that braking is very important, and should be added to any trailer as soon as possible, though my TV truck didn't require that the trailer had any. Here's my comments concerning these subjects from an earlier thread, Trailer Selection Help http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=68873&hilit=adapters+wheel#p1209647:
    Tigris99 wrote:The trailer speed issue is a liability for the bearings because of the small tires. Repacking with good grease helps a lot. Better bearings with bigger tires goes a long way with that too...
    • If there's any question in your mind of having future problems using the stock HF axle/bearings/wheels/tires, especially trailering at high speeds (I tow at 75 mph), or going off-road, or building a trailer near or over the axle's rated capacity, then just go ahead and upgrade now, if your budget affords it. Retro-fitting later, as in my case, limits choices and is harder to do than at the early build stages. I knew I would need better running gear, eventually, but I piece-mealed the improvements over time, due to having a low-or-no budget situation, at the start. You have the opportunity to upgrade now, before problems arise later.
    • The "junk" trailer I started with had 8" wheels on a 1.25" square-tubed axle, of unknown weight capacity, so I put larger bearings and 5 on 4.5 hubs (replacing the 4 lug originals) so I could use 14" tires on it. I chose 14" tires because they are the same size that my wife's business trailer has (so I could get a free spare, to share), and a friend had two extra 14" tires on hand. There was no way I would've trusted my trailer build to using the smaller tires and bearings on highways, especially since I had burnt up one of the original bearings, just bringing the "junk" trailer back from a swap-meet 20 years before. I also had to use 1.25" wheel spacer/adapters to make the larger tires clear the frame.
    • I always intended to make my trailer a "heavy-duty" off-road type, just in case I or my wife would ever need it to go to out-of-the-way campsites, so larger tires were a better choice, though I wanted to eventually replace the light-duty axle before any excursion on rougher roads, in the future. As it turned out, I had the opportunity to upgrade my axle after a spring hanger tore loose, so I bought a 3500 lb Dexter (wider than the original, thus eliminating the spacers), adding brakes and better springs, and reinforced the frame at that time. Still on a limited budget, though I had improved the axle situation, I still used my aged and patched ST tires for two more years (they were at least 12 years old by then), before replacing them with good LT tires.
    • Now, after upgrading all the suspension and rolling stock, I have no worries travelling at high speeds, or over rough terrain. But, to do it again, I would've built it from the ground up, rather than correcting mistakes or bad choices, later on.
    • 86927 starting point; needs a lot of work, obviously
    • 86933 enlarged frame, same axle (with larger bearings/wheels)
    • 118140 original spindly axle (unknown capacity)
    • 119025 Dexter 3500 lb axle & better springs
Last edited by working on it on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Joe4Camping » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:18 pm

All of this is fantastic advice, and MUCH appreciated. This is exactly why I joined TNTTT (and of course access to all the great Smilies).

My TV is a '08 Chevy Trailblazer 4.2L 4WD (towing capacity 5500#), so I think I will be able to tow & brake a foamie. :thumbsup:

Now, time to order that trailer and get crackin' ! :woohoo:
Joe4Camping
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bikeneggs » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:33 am

We bought a 9 year old TD on a Chinese made HF chassis. Former owner had upgraded from stock 4 ply B rating to 6 ply C rating 4 lug tires and wheels so she could "tow at higher speeds". Tire sizes have remained at 4.80-12. Fully loaded for the road the trailer weighs 800 lbs. This summer we plan to tow the trailer behind our 2000 Sienna (seats 4 but sleeps 2) from CA to TN and back taking the hot southern route. How fast can the C tires (990 lbs, 90 psi) be run for covering 400 miles at a time, especially through Texas? The Sienna's V6 AT runs best above 60 MPH. Towing at 55 mph with OD off revs the engine too high and fuel economy drops tremendously (16 mpg). What towing speeds are reasonable through those states without attracting attention?

Internet results for speed ratings shows B at 31 mph and C at 37 mph, well below highway speeds I envision.
Bikeneggs
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets