The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby toypusher » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:21 am

Cool today. 38 now and supposed to be raining by noon with high about 42 today. Not to sure about work, but should get in 2 or 3 hours before the rain hits - I hope.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:36 am

We were down near freezing this morning. We are cooling down.. Friday it's not supposed to get out of the 30's... and it's supposed to be quite windy. Trail work today.. at least some.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:10 am

We didn't get out of the 30's yesterday.. they are saying into the 40's today.. We have overnight single numbers coming. I guess I should take care of the hose. :o :roll:

I forgot what actual temps they said for Friday.. but with the wind chill it will remain feeling like it's in the single digits all day. [ I am guessing Angela won't want to ride in that.]

I have a friend coming to look at that big nasty blow "down", this afternoon. I did look at it again yesterday..and at least have some ideas of how to start on it.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:08 am

We made headway on that nasty tree snarl. We used a throw rope to get a line on the top tree. It took some work, but we were finally able to pull it off the other tree. There were 8" to 10" branches they kept getting hooked on. Any time a section would be close to the ground we would cut stuff off what we could safely reach. Once the top tree came off.. the other bigger one swung down so the heavy end sat on the ground.. we limbed and cut off a 5' section... hoping it would slide down so we could make another cut.. but now it is balanced again.

I have another dual track on that end of the tree.. I will have to go over there to try and pull it to the ground again. [We ran out of day light]

In the morning.. I did some easier puttering around the house.. draining hoses.. and other picking up. I also make more specific tool storage on the RTV.

We have a HEAVY frost this morning.

I haven't heard from my riders so... I am guessing we aren't riding today.. :roll:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:11 am

Cool this morning! 18 degrees with 5mph breeze. Sunny, but only going up to about 40 today. Might go to the range sometime and shoot some pumpkins. Also, looking at taking out some very overgrown bushes in one corner of my yard and fence.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:10 am

We had temps in the teens also... but with 20-25 mph winds... although was that better than the 40-50 mph winds Friday. We made out ok, but there were power outages again.

We did some more trail clean up yesterday. We did have one of our new riders want to help with clean up.. so he came yesterday afternoon. He lives less than a mile up the road.. was a half hour late... and then was ready to quite after an hour and a half... :roll: He's in his latter 20's

We were at an ok quiting time..... but wanted to use him while we had him.. and make it worthwhile for him to take the time to come help us.

Perhaps an easy day today.. well except for our ride later.

We are supposed to warm up a little next week. Perhaps I can get some barn work done.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:42 am

It is offically late autumn.. cold.. and grey... no sun. We had our first fire today.

We do tend to get up above freezing mid day.. but it takes a long time to get there.. and it quickly cools back off. Yesterday our pond was frozen over for the first time. It went from no ice.. any morning.. to fully iced over. :o

We only had one other rider Monday night. Laurie and Angela say they are done for the season. :cry:

I have been picking away at trail work /mixed with work around the house. The discouraging part.. we are finding new trees down, on areas that we have already cleaned up.. :cry:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby crttaz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:45 pm

By trail work I assume MTB trails?
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 pm

crttaz wrote:By trail work I assume MTB trails?

Primarily mountain bikes yes. We also lead group hikes/ walks/ snowshoe.. in the fall and winter. Some trail are more open so one can xc ski.. we have also built double track for one of the land owners to use. The double track also allow us to drive out with our RTV utility vehicle so we don't have to walk so far with our tools and such... we do also bike on the double track also.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:17 am

Yesterday was a cool..raw.. rainy day. Which gave me a chance to build Laurie's new bike. {it came last week}.

We have altered trail work, with work around the house. We had a lot of building materials in the spot where I park the tractor... it was also blocking our access to the snow blower. We do have that taken care of.

We got a "load" of power poles the other day. One of our new riders works for Central Maine Power. They have a lot of broken poles from the storm. Although I think my particular poles is some this guy had at his house [from earlier] He was going to build a pole barn and changed his mind.. his wife wanted them gone.

I think I got 8 from him.

We have continued with trail work. We have 90 hours in storm clean up so far. We have done a little other trail work.. that was not clean up.. and not part of that 90 hours.

I want to do more.. lots more, but our next project is cleaning up the down trees on the lawn. Although I was some semi frozen ground for that. We also have some fire wood to gather.. stuff we have cut for trail work. It's not a lot but I would like to get out and get it.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby crttaz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:15 pm

I brought back and maintained a short MTB trail near me, found I liked doing the clearing more than riding. So I put "slicks" on the MTB to ride the paved trails around me. I didn't get any riding or trail work done this year as I was caring for Mom.

PS: I hate Honeysuckle!
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Yesterday was sunny for the most part, but very windy and a high about 50. Sunny and a bit breezy today with high about 46. Today was a long day and also my last 'offical' day for this year. :D Supposed to get rain overnight and off and on tomorrow all day. :(
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:46 pm

We had temps in the 20's this morning. That allowed up to work and clean up and firewood, without completely trashing the lawn. We picked up and hauled the majority of the brush on the lawn. We then started hauling and cutting firewood. Some of the downed trees were either wild cherry or ash. We also had some ash down and limbed from some earlier thinning on the edge of the lawn [over there] I used the wood cutting trailer hitched up behind the carry all box mounted on the back of the tractor. It's the first time I have used that set up and I liked it. I was worried if the hitch mount would be secure enough. It is just bolted into the wood carry all. It was built fairly substantially, and the trailer isn't that big.. so it does not carry a lot of wood.

We had started this morning hauling wood in the carry all. I was going to stack it near my storage area, but and then cut it later. That would have required a bit of extra handling. With the wood trailer, I could haul longer stuff. I would then pull up to the storage shelter.. cut it too size.. and toss it into the shelter. The set up worked pretty well. In addition to the other clean up work, we have 2 cords of wood, hauled, cut to size and under cover.

:twisted:

We have dinner out tonight with our group. We also have a surprise birthday party tomorrow afternoon. It is supposed to be raining in the morning.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:55 pm

crttaz wrote:I brought back and maintained a short MTB trail near me, found I liked doing the clearing more than riding. So I put "slicks" on the MTB to ride the paved trails around me. I didn't get any riding or trail work done this year as I was caring for Mom.

PS: I hate Honeysuckle!

:thumbsup:

We have and hate honeysuckle also.. although our hawthorn might be worse. :o

We also love trail building... not more than riding.. but it is a very close second.

We have a trail network on 8 different land owners properties. We have 40 acres of our own.. and hundreds total to work with. We have over 20 miles of trails so far. I don't really know how much more than that. Between the tree cover, and in some places trail density.. GPS does not at all accurately register it.

While we have some easier trails.. our specialty is more technical side. [At least more technical that anything the local clubs have built.]

We host our own group rides.. and in the fall and winter.. hikes/ snowshoes.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:08 am

WOW! Been a while. :oops:

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving week. Ours was very small, but nice. Last week of work was really stressful this year - lots of problems with customers and also with fellow worker. All that is straitened out now I think. Have bring the mowers, etc over to my house and pressure was them (after I mow with the zero-turn here one more time) :)

Working on a couple small projects to improve the shooting range that I use. Hopefully will be going over there tomorrow.
toypusher
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic