Dutch OVen Table

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Dutch OVen Table

Postby ae6black » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:09 pm

How many use a Dutch Oven Table? I've been looking around and I really liked that Chuckwagon table with the 12 inch windscreen and carry bag. I did not like the price and the extra shipping so settled on a Camp Chef table that I paid about a 1/3 of what I would have spent on the Chuckwagon table that was constructed really well and then spent a couple days converting some aluminum scrap I had into a windscreen to replace that skimpy one Camp Chef includes with their table. I also sowed up a make shift carry bag since they don't come with one. Question is how often do you all use one of these critters when you are camping. Around the house I just place a big cake pan in my gas grill to hold the bottom coals. Works good around the house but out camping this summer, I discovered that I really didn't like trying to cook on the ground particularly when I was using more than one do at the same time. The rainy weather sort of put a damper on the whole project. Camping with a td, I suspect having a table set up would also be a good place to place my coleman gas stove instead of having it taking up space in my galley. What does everybody else do?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Dutch OVen Table

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:17 pm

I like my fold up one ! $ 6.00 Goodwill walker and about 4 bucks in hardware.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Nice idea. I've got a walker and a old satellite dish that just found a new use.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:43 am

for a wind break try cutting an old(as in rusted out bottomed) galvanized wash tub cut in 1/2 w/ the handles centered on the back of each piece

they will stack in the same space as your DO's when nested with them

these wind breaks provide some reflectivity so the DO's will/may need rotating during the cook

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:44 am

I have a Camp Chef table which I use occasionally. I have switched to a "Tye works" fire pan. Mine is steel and quite heavy.
There are aluminum versions I would use if I was starting over.
The fire pan is closer to the ground, nice if you use big pots and no worry about things tipping over.
The storage lid makes a great wind screen.
Most of us would not need the large version

Used by a lot of river rafters along with a fireproof mat to catch wandering embers.

https://www.amazon.com/Large-Fire-Pan-Package-Firepan/dp/B00APOLGXG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1510930779&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=fire+pan&psc=1

For single pot cooking (#10) I use the Dandi stand from Chuchwagon supply.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:26 am

The Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner stove it self can work double duty as the stove, which we use for the group camping breakfasts and a Dutch Oven table top with the griddles as a work surface. Camp Chef's ''dutch oven' work table is the same size as this stove and can be bought a lot cheaper seasonally being they are always putting them on sale for less than $100. BUT YES, I do also love my 'portable folding walker table' like seen in the pictures here along with my trailer side tables supported by the crotches and my folding wheel chair/walker that has been made into the "Dutch Oven Transport Walker" (removed the seat which was replaced with plywood than drilled 3 holes for the DO legs) with the DO weighing 20/25 lbs.++ with food when !!HOT!!, it works great for transporting it to the diner table at campouts. (along with now having a extra place to sit when not in use) Yes - it is nice to have a PU truck as a tow vehicle with all of the extra cargo space. Medically, the way I have been going this last couple years, I maybe needing this stuff eventually. :)
gudmund
500 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 pm

bobhenry wrote:I like my fold up one ! $ 6.00 Goodwill walker and about 4 bucks in hardware.

Every time I see a used satellite dish on side of the road, I think of what you built Bob. One of these days I'm gonna build one just for the heck of it. I use a DO table I bought years ago but I like the home-made idea you did. :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Bob how important is a windscreen? Where I live in the laural highlands, we get wind and I would think that would be an issue.
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:36 am

I try and place the table down wind from the teardrop when I can. I also have a free standing wind screen made of old license plates and split ring key rings when needed. A wind screen does help to retain the heat near the pot. Without it you will experience longer cooking times and use a bit more coals but so what slow is good too and after all we are camping so what is the hurry.

I stole this one off of someones album It's not mine but thank you for loaning it.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby greygoos » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:28 pm

I have used a chafing dish with a flat cover as a windscreen. Something similar to this model . 20 bucks. Remove the smaller pan and fill the larger with coals. Expanded sheet for a grill if needed. When you are done put the lid on for safety. https://www.forthechef.com/folding-fram ... p8EALw_wcB
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dan242 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:Nice idea. I've got a walker and a old satellite dish that just found a new use.

hah, me too, Cool idea
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Slow...I think you mean Dean Hubbard and Joanie...they do the cooking blog. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby jondbar628 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Love the walker/cook table idea Bobhenry. You just gave me the answer for one of the "auxiliaries" I've been pondering for my build. Thank you :thumbsup: ...jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby Esteban » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 pm

campmaid.com sells tool kits that raise a dutch oven off the ground or above a table. deaver is a (20% off) discount code I discovered while watching a video on their website. The discount code was successfully accepted on a trial shopping basket.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:06 am

High wind ....... You can always drop the dutch oven in your Weber smokey joe Jr. grill.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to Cast Iron