what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby pralfred » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:57 pm

I am planning on pulling my tear, once it's built, with my 2005 Yamaha V Star 1100 Silverado. It has a Velorex 563 touring sidecar attached, which weighs 170lbs (stock). I've stripped the sidecar of nearly everything except the frame and body, however, as it is primarily a way to transport my service dog. I've also stripped a lot off of the bike, reducing its weight as well. I'm actually planning on getting the entire hack weighed later this week to see how heavy it is now that I've modified it. I have also upgraded the air intake, exhaust, and rebuilt/re-jetted the carburetors. Before adding the towing hitch and hauling away, I'm also going to be adding a small oil cooler to reduce engine wear, and a stiffer clutch spring-plate and heavy-duty clutch plates to handle the stresses of towing my tear.
"While there is tea, there is hope." --Sir Arthur Pinero
pralfred
Teardrop Builder

Postby spacer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Right now I have two tow-equipped vehicles, each with their charms... and disadvantages.
A 2006 HHR, with an almost absurdly low tow/tongue rating, but it's paid off and has been a good little car for me over the last few years.
A 2004 Suburban, which would tow almost anything of interest on this forum without even noticing... but the fuel economy is far from stellar.

The previously mentioned Soul has gained some interest with me, though. I'm a tall fella, and can't really be comfortable in many small cars, but the Kia, with it's teardrop friendly tow rating, cabin space, and fuel economy (plus the nice, long warranty) could be a real nice replacement for both my current cars.
spacer
Teardrop Builder

Postby EZDog » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:00 am

2001 Tundra V8 4wd is my main tug.
Lousy mileage but no surprises either.

2005 Sprinter 2.5l Mercedes TD
I get around 30mpg not towing and 25mpg or less depending on what I tow.
This thing is a beast and completely reliable to boot!

I love them both!

I just bought a 2007 Tundra 2wd with the 5.7l motor but not sure I am keeping it just yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby Homebrewer25 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:13 pm

Still in my planning for building a 5x5x10 foamie, but I plan on using my 2016 Subaru Impreza as a TV. If it becomes necessary I also have a 2006 Honda Odyssey V6.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby Ned B » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:13 am

EZDog wrote:2001 Tundra V8 4wd is my main tug.

I love them both!

I just bought a 2007 Tundra 2wd with the 5.7l motor but not sure I am keeping it just yet?

Ooh ultra rare 114" sprinter? I had a high roof version as a work truck, great van!!

Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby EZDog » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Ned B wrote:
EZDog wrote:2001 Tundra V8 4wd is my main tug.

I love them both!

Ooh ultra rare 114" sprinter? I had a high roof version as a work truck, great van!!

Also even more rare Window version!
It is a 118" too.

Maybe the most reliable truck I have owned too.
The trick seems to be finding a mechanic that knows them well and I have a Russian Shop and they have all worked on these Sprinters since they were released over there this seems to make all the difference in the end.
Never any B.S. just reliable repair and maintenance!

It also tows shockingly well for what it is.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby oodejavoodoo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:57 pm

bountybuddy wrote:I tow with a 2004 Pontiac Vibe. I own three of them. I tow about 900 pounds and get 24 MPG.
Did you have to get a tranny cooler? I own a 2006 1.8liter automatic and I'm planning on making a square drop but kinda worried about weight.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
oodejavoodoo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ned B » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Well my wife’s escape wound up totaled

So after dealing with insurance and som major medical issues (unrelated to the accident, there were no injuries in that thankfully)

I searched long and hard and after weighing all of the budget issues I wound up with:

It is a 2010 Prius, just optioned enough to be comfortable , Gets 50 miles to the gallon and should last me for quite some time.

Lori Now drives my 2013 CMAX Energi

And my son has my 2007 Prius.

I am planning on putting a hitch on the back of my red Prius and the spring my trailer will ride behind it.

Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:29 pm

Camp4Life wrote:Looks like Northern California. But I could be completely wrong considering I'm Canadian and have never been there lol :lol:
I'm just going by the scenery and the trees. My second guess would be AZ, hence the username.

I would have guess Grand Canyon, since I'm assuming AZ in his name is for Arizona, home of the GC, and that looks like a pretty big hole behind the rig.
T
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby jondbar628 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Ned B......Love those Toyota hybrids, (have one) but generally not rated for towing. I think it has more to do with the CVT than the hybrid drive. You may want to check it out before counting on it as a TV......jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Ned B » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:50 pm

Jd I’m well aware of the limits of the cvt, however I’m building a Foamie, and primarily a sleeper only... ultra lightweight. Thanks though!

Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby elcam84 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:13 am

jondbar628 wrote:Ned B......Love those Toyota hybrids, (have one) but generally not rated for towing. I think it has more to do with the CVT than the hybrid drive. You may want to check it out before counting on it as a TV......jd
Yeah CVTs are not good for towing. They just don't have the strength to hold up to the extra load. That's also why they are always mated to low hp engines in lightweight cars. They were tried many decades ago but it hasn't been until recently that a CVT has been able to hold up in a daily driver.

I use a 2017 Sorento 6 cyl (around 250hp)for pulling my 5x10 trailer. I get 30 mpg on the freeway with the ramp down cruising at 80mph. With the ramp up is another story. It will get down to 17mpg just cruising at 65 (well under the speed limit). Course that ramp is like pulling a parachute behind you.

I'm hoping that when I build my teardrop module for the trailer that it won't be too bad as it will be much more aero dynamic than a big sheet of expanded steel catching the air that's coming over the car.
Would like to find some real data on optimal placement of the height of trailer and how far from the rear of the car would be best. I can make assumptions but it's always nice to have real data.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Ned B wrote:Jd I’m well aware of the limits of the cvt, however I’m building a Foamie, and primarily a sleeper only... ultra lightweight. Thanks though!

Has more to do with the load from wind resistance rather than just weight i think.

elcam84 wrote:
jondbar628 wrote:Ned B......Love those Toyota hybrids, (have one) but generally not rated for towing. I think it has more to do with the CVT than the hybrid drive. You may want to check it out before counting on it as a TV......jd
Yeah CVTs are not good for towing. They just don't have the strength to hold up to the extra load. That's also why they are always mated to low hp engines in lightweight cars. They were tried many decades ago but it hasn't been until recently that a CVT has been able to hold up in a daily driver.

I use a 2017 Sorento 6 cyl (around 250hp)for pulling my 5x10 trailer. I get 30 mpg on the freeway with the ramp down cruising at 80mph. With the ramp up is another story. It will get down to 17mpg just cruising at 65 (well under the speed limit). Course that ramp is like pulling a parachute behind you.

I'm hoping that when I build my teardrop module for the trailer that it won't be too bad as it will be much more aero dynamic than a big sheet of expanded steel catching the air that's coming over the car.
Would like to find some real data on optimal placement of the height of trailer and how far from the rear of the car would be best. I can make assumptions but it's always nice to have real data.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

On trailer shape and placement there is a ton of info here: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/trailer-shape-better-20662-16.html

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:42 am

Something else to consider besides weight, is wind resistance. The Prius may handle the weight, but can it over come the resistance to dragging anything through the air at speed? My guess is no. I learned years back when the cars owners manual said they could tow up to 1000lbs. Yah, they did it! Could it safely stop? No. Did those cars last? No. Both cars trashed their trans by 90k. I tow with a pickup now. No more frustration, except when gas was close to $5 gallon!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:45 pm

dmdc- I agree .. :thumbsup: I think you are better off with 'more towing' capacity than what is needed to begin with, than to be coming up short after the trailer is loaded and ready to go only find you are over-weight - example is all of the people buying 1/2 ton PU's, than buying a trailer that should be towed by a 3/4-1ton++ HD PU especially after loading them with "all the stuff" to be carried. Most people don't seem to realize how much their "stuff" adds up in addition weight. My trailer axle weight is 800 lbs empty for my teardrop, but always rings-up about 1200/1300 lbs (it was at 1400 lbs once) -loaded- when I do the roll across the state weight scales which is way under my 4000 lb PU tow rating capacity BUT with all of the other stuff being carried in the PU bed, the rear axle weight is always real close it's axle max rating - (never been over-yet, but close) Had to laugh the last time I crossed the Canadian Border back into the States this last July by the border officer "why do you carry so much stuff?" my answer "I've been camping." :)
gudmund
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles