Toilets

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Toilets

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:09 pm

I figure almost no teardrops have any kind of plumbing and part of their appeal is boondocking where there are no campsite facilities anyway.

What are people doing ? I have a popup hunting blind that could serve (the illusion of) privacy needs. Does anyone care to share their experiences on those toilet-seat/bucket lid contraptions ? How about the toilet seat that mounts to the trailer hitch ?

My thinking is the bucket/seat/bag in the hunting blind is cheap and light and would be reasonably effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Re: Toilets

Postby Camp4Life » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Easiest is a big old plastic bucket with a bag and an old toilet seat. Easy to use and clean up. Bring some black water treatment chem like Bio-Clean, or something else environmentally safe so that you can use the same bag several times without too much of a nasty outhouse smell.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby cheri832 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:21 pm

I use a hunting blind. The black lining means no embarrassing shadows at night... but a bucket was too low for me. I picked up a thrift store bedside commode (legs are adjustable and removable). Double bagged with a baby diaper in the bag (a tip I learned at a tearjerker gather). The diaper will soak up any liquid....tie it up and toss it away. :twisted:
Cheri
cheri832
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:18 pm

We use this bucket lid and these bags. Works fine.

But if we are really in the deep woods, the soil is soft and the bushes are tall, we dig pits. :shock:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks, all. I have a hunting blind what I bought from SG years ago and never used. Time to put her to work.

Then off Amazon I got the camo version of the Luggable Loo. Turns out the vendor is also SG, who I generally have been disappointed in, but Amazon.

Plus, of course, the bags.

I think this weekend at home I will do some field experiments and build confidence in the system before taking it out in the field.

I'm sure the neighbors won't mind, or even notice.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:18 pm

I think this weekend at home I will do some field experiments and build confidence in the system before taking it out in the field.

I'm sure the neighbors won't mind, or even notice.

:thumbsup: :pictures: :beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:11 pm

Luggable Loo, cheap plastic trash bags, sawdust, or leaf mold, or just plain old dirt in a bucket to pour on top and absorb everything. Lasts about a day and then I dispose of it. Sawdust works best, especially cedar. You'll be amazed at how it masks the smell. But, try not to pee in it too much. Pee seems to cancel out the smell reducing capabilities if you over do it...
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:01 am

Kitty litter and no pee if you can help it.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:46 am

I have the Luggable Loo and line it with 8 gallon size trash bags (perfect fit). I use light weight kitty litter so the bag doesn't get too heavy.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:55 am

mustangcats wrote:I have the Luggable Loo and line it with 8 gallon size trash bags (perfect fit). I use light weight kitty litter so the bag doesn't get too heavy.

Good tip. The regular litter does get heavy at times.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:24 pm

TimC wrote:Luggable Loo, cheap plastic trash bags, sawdust, or leaf mold, or just plain old dirt in a bucket to pour on top and absorb everything. Lasts about a day and then I dispose of it. Sawdust works best, especially cedar. You'll be amazed at how it masks the smell. But, try not to pee in it too much. Pee seems to cancel out the smell reducing capabilities if you over do it...
lrrowe wrote:Kitty litter and no pee if you can help it.
mustangcats wrote:I have the Luggable Loo and line it with 8 gallon size trash bags (perfect fit). I use light weight kitty litter so the bag doesn't get too heavy.
lrrowe wrote:Good tip. The regular litter does get heavy at times.
  • I agree with much of the above, but I'm adding a further feature to my set-up, mostly because I'm old, and have frequent "urges" at night. And, because most of my camping trips are often besieged by violent thunderstorms at night, making me reluctant to venture out, unless necessary.
  • So far, I've been able to manage my solid waste disposal during normal hours and weather, though I do have a "loo" ready to go inside a side tent, accessible without leaving the cover of my canopy(s), but since I use kitty litter (I fill my loo with the standard kind, and have a second bucket with the same, standing by), I don't wish to saturate it with only liquid waste. So, I made a self-contained Nighttime Urinal System (N.U.S.) for those times (2 or 3) at night when I really don't want to leave the cabin (rain, rain, rain). Now, I can open a door on the sidewall, uncap the 1 3/8" diameter tube inside, insert the funnel w/hose (or not), and let go. The proceeds go dirctly into a 5-gallon ex-fuel jug, hidden under the trailer, and then re-plug the upper tube, and shut the N.U.S. door. No leaving the trailer in the rain, no smell (the jug underneath is partially filled with Pine-sol, or other disinfectant; the upper tube is tightly plugged), no bother.
  • my complete toilet set-up for bad weather usage.png
    my complete toilet set-up for bad weather usage.png (832.87 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
    not the best facilities, but the best I could do
  • If my trailer was larger than a 4x8, I could've squeezed-in a port-potty (which, when I was building, was never considered a real need), and that would've been a real boon to me, now, as I've aged. It was suggested that I could use a jar or two-liter bottle inside, but leaks or misses are possible. I tried a Travel John emergency urinal, but over-filling is a problem, and you still have to store it inside, after the deed is done.
  • Travel John.PNG
    Travel John.PNG (129.07 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
    good for emergencies, but still just a temporary solution
  • Then, of course, comes the problem for me to actually get outside to use any type of restroom facility. Bad back and two bad knees, and getting in and out even in good weather...has been harder each year. It's become so difficult, for me to get out of the trailer now, that I had to retrofit a pull-rope and grab-handles to get upright inside, much less dress and leave for a distant restroom.
  • trapeze-lift adaptation.png
    trapeze-lift adaptation.png (223.56 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
    no actual pics, but this is my solution
  • I'm determined to make my 4x8 trailer work for me, under all conditions, that I'll retrofit/modify just about anything to do so. My "solutions" are unique to my situation, and needs, so may not be for everyone. I just wish I had done this twenty years before, and using a larger trailer to build upon, but it is what it is.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:48 am

tony.latham wrote:Double Doodie bags

It turns out that Wally World's Ozark Trail doo-doo bags are same-same as DD, and quite a bit cheaper. 8)
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:55 pm

capnTelescope wrote:
tony.latham wrote:Double Doodie bags

It turns out that Wally World's Ozark Trail doo-doo bags are same-same as DD, and quite a bit cheaper. 8)

:thumbsup: Thanks, Bro.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:56 am

I got the Reliance “hassock” style system. Basically a bucket in a bucket. I use the DD bags, but I include a small garden trowel and toss a scoop of sand on the solids when I’m boon docking. There was one time, when it was below 20F, I resorted to refilling water bottles rather than redress for a cold walk, but that was a rare occasion. Next time I’ll plan ahead better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:10 am

We use the porta-potty type and the wife loves it. Small, sealed. You can dump it in any toilet. No smell. No spill. It fits under our bed and just plain works. Been using one for years.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets