Go Tenna when cell towers are &%$#

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Go Tenna when cell towers are &%$#

Postby NotJammer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 am

Go Tenna was a Kickstarter I joined some time ago. I think it's a great idea as it allows use of cell phone text without cell signal. Mesh network.

But, it needs density. I have 2 and nobody else has them in my area. Colorado seems to have good Mesh Network.

However, if you only have 2 Go Tenna and 2 people with cellphones they can use them like walkie texties. Made that word up...

I have nothing to do with the product or company. https://gotenna.com/pages/mesh
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Re: Go Tenna when cell towers are &%$#

Postby WeBeGoneDude » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:28 pm

What is the point-to-point range on these things?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
WeBeGoneDude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NotJammer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Best to ask actual users. Go to their site. As I wrote, I have them but right now have on one to use them with.

I am sure like any radio, it depends. I read maybe a few miles in the right places, but they are supposed to be used as a Mesh relay network where even strangers will invisibly, automatically and securely relay your text on down the line.

WeBeGoneDude wrote:What is the point-to-point range on these things?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby Loren » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 pm

Since the issue is lack of density, have you considered ham radio?
Loren (K7RLJ)
Loren
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jondbar628 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Doesn't ham require an antenna of some sort? I know there are portable hand-held ham sets, but don't know their range, plus according to post, signal forwarding is automatic with this system. Ham requires manual forwarding doesn't it? Know very little about ham, and nothing about Go Tenna, just stirring the pot...........jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby NotJammer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:17 pm

KD0IDJ I don't use it. I prefer to DX listen long wire late at night. I always pack my Sangean ATX 909. I carry a BAOFANG UV-5RE to throw at perps.

I ran a pirate AM station when I was 15, 1966. I quit before the FCC...

My current hobby is Large Format Photography. Shooting a 50's 8X10 Linhof Kardan Color today. https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/l ... day.96541/

Loren wrote:Since the issue is lack of density, have you considered ham radio?
Loren (K7RLJ)
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby Loren » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:52 am

Using repeaters- which need not be on the normal grid- all message forwarding is automatic. Needs antennas but length is frequency dependent and can be made from a simple chunk of wire, from a coat hanger to bedsprings to a bridge.
Loren
Loren
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NotJammer » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:14 am

I understand wavelength and antenna design. I use long wire for midnight listening at the campfire. Unknown language, better. One reason I seldom use my Ham Radio and FCC License is I rarely chat up other hams.

Ham Radio is very important for actual emergencies. Which changes the usage rules, priorities and value of communication. I will be getting a mobile transceiver and a couple antennae for my TV and CVC. EMP and we are just waiting for Godot.

Loren wrote:Using repeaters- which need not be on the normal grid- all message forwarding is automatic. Needs antennas but length is frequency dependent and can be made from a simple chunk of wire, from a coat hanger to bedsprings to a bridge.
Loren
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion