Very interesting little generator

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Very interesting little generator

Postby John61CT » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 pm

NorthEGPhoto wrote:
John61CT wrote:You could probably rig something like that and just blow the heat from your genny inside your trailer and keep things cozy if you do it right. of course, night time may be an issue (noise)
I personally try to keep my need to use a genny to as short and infrequent as possible, usually average a dozen hours per month, so its waste heat is not a useful resource in my case.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:06 pm

NorthEGPhoto wrote:
John61CT wrote:FYI a gasoline-fueled parking heater would put out 100x the comfort per quart than running an electric heater off a gennie.

Interestingly enough, I use a little 900w 2 cycle generator which sits in the outhouse outside when i'm at the hunting camp visiting my parents. it keeps the outhouse nice and warm just with the heat generated by the engine. the exhaust gets piped outside.

You could probably rig something like that and just blow the heat from your genny inside your trailer and keep things cozy if you do it right. of course, night time may be an issue (noise)

My Uncle in Alaska does the same thing, the outhouse and the Generator shack are essentially the same building with exhaust pipped outside. ( they still store the seat inside the cabin though :frightened:
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Pinstriper » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:11 pm

John61CT wrote:
Pinstriper wrote:I then took it over to the TD to recharge the battery, which had been sitting since August. Topped off in about 10 minutes
Hope that's not an expensive deep-cycle, if so needs a little trickle solar panel, or much more frequent overnights on shore power.

That is, if you care about longevity.

$60 deep cycle 35Ah

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Reminiscent of A Christmas Story, it has arrived !!!

Got the email from HD his afternoon, picked up this evening.

Will probably be Saturday before I can unbox and start her up.

But on the basis of having a box in the back seat of my truck, I can say THESE EXIST !

Performance report and possible photos to follow.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby Pinstriper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Unboxed, oiled, and started her up. Took 6 pulls, then started fine.

She is louder than the Sportsman 4 stroke. I mic’d her at 81db, although the box says it should be 61db.

The Sportsman wins. More power, lighter, quieter, and will work better in cold weather. And about $75 cheaper in the first place.

I’ll still bring the Ryobi when I can, for the simple convenience of single fuel for camp stoves and generator. Plus, no worry about shelf stable fuel.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby jondbar628 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:18 pm

My Uncle in Alaska does the same thing, the outhouse and the Generator shack are essentially the same building with exhaust pipped outside. ( they still store the seat inside the cabin though :frightened:
Tom
Tom......My in-laws lived in Bloomington, Minn.....Had a "summer cabin" up in the "lakes" area near the Canadian border..........I assure you that when your bare butt hits a 20deg. f. outhouse seat :shock: , you;ll appreciate storing it indoors - sanitation be damned ..jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:09 am

jondbar628 wrote:My Uncle in Alaska does the same thing, the outhouse and the Generator shack are essentially the same building with exhaust pipped outside. ( they still store the seat inside the cabin though :frightened:
Tom
Tom......My in-laws lived in Bloomington, Minn.....Had a "summer cabin" up in the "lakes" area near the Canadian border..........I assure you that when your bare butt hits a 20deg. f. outhouse seat :shock: , you;ll appreciate storing it indoors - sanitation be damned ..jd

My cringe has more to do with exposing my tail end to an environment that cold than where the seat is stored. I’ll admit I had a great time playing on their snow machines when I was up,there last.

Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Kaz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:14 am

I know it would be perfect for charging my battery, but I get along just fine with my 100watt solar panel. I only run 12volt lights and fan very sparingly and usually only go for long weekends. If I go to one place for more than 3/4 days I usually pick a place with electric hookup.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby NotJammer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:49 am

Found the parts list model # RYi911LP on Ryobi website. Very good Ryobi!

It's a 4 stroke engine, which I wanted to know. Good and bad. Good, it will use less fuel and bad it has more parts. I prefer 4 strokes.

A big plus to a small propane generator is duh, propane, as it doesn't have a carburetor or a fuel injector. It has a simple vaporizer. That means it won't gum up and not run when you need it after years of improper storage. This thing may store very well and we know propane stays good longer than gasoline.

Ryobi says 1/4 power for 60 hours on 20 lb tank. Not bad for 25 lbs.

As for outhouses, as a boy in the 50's in northern Minnesota at the winter cabin, my father insisted on NO outhouse heat. He said it made things quicker. He built the cabin with a really crappy but pretty fireplace, the only heat, and let it die out at night while we all slept at the other end. Cold as can be.

I have used a Honda EU1000 for 25 years. The high cost was forgotten long ago. It is so quiet I had it running on a table in a tavern and nobody noticed. I had loaned it to them and wanted to make sure it still ran. It's 29 lbs.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks for the report.

NotJammer wrote: propane stays good longer than gasoline.
Hundreds of years no problem, bulk storage is huge caves underground.
NotJammer wrote: I had it running on a table in a tavern and nobody noticed. I had loaned it to them and wanted to make sure it still ran.
Don't try this at home folks, even with windows open, outdoors only.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NotJammer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:46 pm

Propane tanks don't last forever. They rust or corrode. By Law need inspection periodically. Caves make do as they always have.

20 seconds of test time was not a danger.

Don't eat the yellow snow.

John61CT wrote:Thanks for the report.

NotJammer wrote: propane stays good longer than gasoline.
Hundreds of years no problem, bulk storage is huge caves underground.
NotJammer wrote: I had it running on a table in a tavern and nobody noticed. I had loaned it to them and wanted to make sure it still ran.
Don't try this at home folks, even with windows open, outdoors only.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:52 pm

The Viking fiberglass / plastic ones probably better for doomsday prepping.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pinstriper » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:27 pm

What's the doomsday lifespan of coleman cylinders ? If it's more than 15-20 years, I won't care because my lifespan runs out.

The ability to ignore the thing for a season, check the oil and turn it over a few times and have it start up is a MAJOR advantage of the propane over gasoline, which is why I got the propane even after being really thrilled with the gas unit.

I figure if I feed it non-ethanol, factory stabilized fuel (ie. no possibility of me making an error in the Stabil calculation going from a 5 gallon instructions to a 1 gallon jug) should keep that to a minimum, but this is where propane wins out. If it weren't for the very cold weather experience I had last winter with the Champion running the house and conking out at 17degF, and of course my own impatience with Ryobi not being available to order, I would probably be completely happy with the Ryobi. And I will use it for everything but extreme cold weather camping.

Bottom line, they are both awesome little generators.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby CanuckShooter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 pm

cajundood wrote:I, as well have been watching the ryobi. I remember seeing somewhere it was listed for $599. :shock:
Althogh clean........it's too expensive for my budget.
I researched the sportsman inverter generator and after 2 weeks of watching reviews on yootoob i found a good price on one and ordered it.
Target of all places had it cheaper than everyone. :thumbsup:

I wish we had access to a price like that......
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby Bill n Robi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:00 am

John61CT wrote:The Viking fiberglass / plastic ones probably better for doomsday prepping.

For doomsday, I agree. For regular use... I still see issues finding places that will fill them. I took a brochure with us on a trip last year and asked at several refill stations in the back country of Calif, Nevada, and Arizona. Almost no one had either heard of them and did not think they would fill them or flat said no. A couple places said yes but finding them when you are getting low would cause the wife to get really stressed.

I know there is nothing wrong with them and would like that lower weight if only for my back.

Edit - most places that were ok with them were close to water so I think they are targeting boat owners and they are driving the acceptance.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion