HF Trailers

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: HF Trailers

Postby Dale M. » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:21 am

MrBo wrote:
Kim Armstrong wrote:Northern Tools has a 5x8. They are a little more money. Nice trailer. Unless you have a store near you watch for them when they offer free freight.
Thanks Kim . No Northern tool in CO. Can't imagine they will stop selling them. I am s couple months away from my building so will wait patiently

Sent from my NS-P10A6100 using Tapatalk

Believe Northern Tool will ship...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kim Armstrong » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:54 am

Yes they will ship. But it is almost 200.00 to ship. They tend to run them on sale for like 489.00 and free freight. Most of the time it will be on amazon.com
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby friz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:29 am

Shipping on the aluminum 5X8 is usually free.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby tnsurveyor » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:22 pm

I would strongly suggest staying away from the Harbor Freight trailers.

I purchased Hap's camper earlier this year. We like the camper, and on the second trip this weekend, we suffered what could have been a catastrophic trailer failure. The front crossmember of the trailer has a small bracket that attaches to the tongue frame. You can use a pin for the trailer to tilt, or a bolt to make it rigid. A weld broke between the crossmember and the bracket that the bolt goes through to connect the two pieces together.

Thankfully the failure occurred in the campground after going over a speedbump very slowly. We had just traveled about 70 miles on a combination of interstates and rural state highways. I had noticed it was pulling a little different, but thought I had the sway bar adjusted incorrectly.

Had the cross member failed on the highway, it would have caused major damage, and probably hurt someone. The failure highlights the cheap steel used in these trailers. The crossmember actually tore. I have been around steel and welding my whole life, and never seen steel tear like this.

I was able to use rope and a rachet strap to temporarily secure the trailer to make the 20 mile trip to my Dad's shop. The trailer is there, and we'll tackle the repair when we have a few spare hours.

The trailer is the base on which we build these campers. With the time, effort, and money we invest in our campers, I would s uggest not skimping on the trailer. I will take pictures when we repair the trailer and post.
tnsurveyor
Teardrop Builder

Postby DavidMcC » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:56 pm

Lowes, harbor freight, home depot all those kinds of places have stopped carrying them in California. Due to local prohibitions, this item is not currently sold in your area.
DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kramergwt » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:25 pm

When I got my Northern Tool trailer the shipping was free. There are no Northern Tools in CT. When I moved to Texas I pulled a good sized load of stuff on that trailer and it worked out great. Very happy with it so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Re: HF Trailer Tire Recall

Postby pchast » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:18 am

I received a letter today from Harbor Freight. A tire Recall. :shock:

https://images.harborfreight.com/hftweb ... tomers.pdf
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jondbar628 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Thanks for sharing, Pete...........I haven"t received that letter yet..............jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby Graniterich » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:58 pm

Yes thanks, but what a pain in the rear, I have purchased more than ten, most sold....

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby Dan242 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:58 pm

My tires are affected by the recall. Pro>>> My 3 year old tires get replaced with a better tire. Con>>> Do we have to remove the tire from the rim and take it in? I do have a spare set of wheels/tires.

re- reading and i see
You will need to remove the affected tires from your trailer. Bring the tire/wheel assembly to an HFT store for
replacement. You will then need to install the replacement tire/wheel assembly on your trailer
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 pm

Just like changing a flat.......... remember? :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby WizardOfOdds » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:55 pm

hummmmm.....
Dan242: are different people getting different instructions??
my letter reads:
"You will need to remove the affected tires from your trailer. Bring only the tires to an HFT store for replacement. You will then need to install the replacement tires on your trailer. It is anticipated that removing the tires from your trailer and installing the new repalcement tires should take approximately 1 hour."

I colored the red part for emphasis here, the letter is monochrome. My letter is dated Nov 24 with code "099 *AUTO** ALL AADC 201" above my name & address.

That sounds like they are not replacing the rims and you must unmount the tires, exchange them and then mount the new tires on your old rims. Lacking the equipment to unmount/mount the tires, that is two trips to a service station. Where I live finding a station willing to fool with small tires was a real problem for my garden tractor, and I won't be surprised if they want separate fees for the two trips which could be lots of $$$ in big buck metro outskirts.
WizardOfOdds: Chalet shaped rag roof clam shell TIER drop for 4 cylinder tow
Tip Top Tier Drop thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56232
Unusual Designs thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64495
Tale of 2 Trailers thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61451
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Postby Dan242 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 pm

WizardOfOdds wrote:hummmmm.....
Dan242: are different people getting different instructions??
my letter reads:
"You will need to remove the affected tires from your trailer. Bring only the tires to an HFT store for replacement. You will then need to install the replacement tires on your trailer. It is anticipated that removing the tires from your trailer and installing the new repalcement tires should take approximately 1 hour."

I colored the red part for emphasis here, the letter is monochrome. My letter is dated Nov 24 with code "099 *AUTO** ALL AADC 201" above my name & address.

That sounds like they are not replacing the rims and you must unmount the tires, exchange them and then mount the new tires on your old rims. Lacking the equipment to unmount/mount the tires, that is two trips to a service station. Where I live finding a station willing to fool with small tires was a real problem for my garden tractor, and I won't be surprised if they want separate fees for the two trips which could be lots of $$$ in big buck metro outskirts.

I went to the HF website and got that info on bringing in the wheel and tire assembly

https://images.harborfreight.com/hftweb ... tomers.pdf
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby Graniterich » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:58 am

So they have changed rims over the years, mine are nicer than the new ones,I have two red/blue pin strips on the rim, not sure if I want the plain ones

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby Dan242 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Went in and they exchanged my old rims and tires for 2 new rims with Carlisle tires. New rims have blue and red pinstripes
They had a copy of the recall letter from the website on the wall and it also said tire wheel assembly. *-----
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets