Reworked my design. Critiques welcome

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Reworked my design. Critiques welcome

Postby KendaldaCosta » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:28 pm

aggie79 wrote:Prior to my first post, I wanted to say that I love the clean lines of your design! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

Thanks! I take a lot of pride in the design portion so hopefully I can make it all work from theory to practice!

aggie79 wrote:The lower cabinets are on the head side at the front of the trailer.

Is is backwards thinking to have the my head near the rear of the tear for sleeping? That's the way I envisioned it.

aggie79 wrote:A mock-up is the way to go. Sounds like you have pretty good clearance and the height should work for the upper cabinets. In your mock-up you may want to add in the height of the mattress to account for its thickness.

Good advice. I did not think about that.
Kendal
KendaldaCosta
Teardrop Builder

Postby jsnbergman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Most have their pillows at the front of the tear. A lot of designs have foot room under the galley countertop, the shorter trailers any way.
jsnbergman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KendaldaCosta » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Hmm.. ok, Being that I'm making a 10 footer, I doubt that I'll have extended leg room under the galley. I guess my "extended leg" room comes under the upper cabinets near the nose.

Sleeping.png
Sleeping.png (112.34 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
Kendal
KendaldaCosta
Teardrop Builder

Postby cwegga » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:44 pm

KendaldaCosta wrote:Hmm.. ok, Being that I'm making a 10 footer, I doubt that I'll have extended leg room under the galley. I guess my "extended leg" room comes under the upper cabinets near the nose.

Sleeping.png
Another reason for the bed orientation is the ease of climbing into bed from the door at the open end of the blankets vs. having to scootch up the bed from the door to get off the blankets enough to get in them. You could move the door(s) but may not have enough flexibility there with wheel locations.
cwegga
Teardrop Builder

Postby KendaldaCosta » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:51 pm

cwegga wrote:Another reason for the bed orientation is the ease of climbing into bed from the door at the open end of the blankets vs. having to scootch up the bed from the door to get off the blankets enough to get in them. You could move the door(s) but may not have enough flexibility there with wheel locations.

I guess it doesn't really make a difference which way I sleep. You make a good point about getting under the covers though. I'll probably swap the headboard to the nose end of the trailer and switch my sleeping orientation. But then the dogs will have to climb all over our pillows to get to the foot of the bed where they'll be sleeping. Maybe that's why I arranged it that way in the first place... So many things to consider when building this thing haha!
Kendal
KendaldaCosta
Teardrop Builder

Postby working on it » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:06 pm

cwegga wrote:
KendaldaCosta wrote:Hmm.. ok, Being that I'm making a 10 footer, I doubt that I'll have extended leg room under the galley. I guess my "extended leg" room comes under the upper cabinets near the nose.
Another reason for the bed orientation is the ease of climbing into bed from the door at the open end of the blankets vs. having to scootch up the bed from the door to get off the blankets enough to get in them. You could move the door(s) but may not have enough flexibility there with wheel locations.
jsnbergman wrote:Most have their pillows at the front of the tear. A lot of designs have foot room under the galley countertop, the shorter trailers any way.
  • I built my 4x8 squareback TTT counter to the prevailing fashion, by having my bed with "headroom" at the rear. And, since my galley is completely vertical, not protruding or overhanging the cabin space, I was able to hang my rearmost shelf 24" above my head, to have room to rise up, with no conflict. Foot clearance is set at 18", underneath a folding wire rack that expands or contracts as needed. There is an overhead shelf above the doorframe, that holds lighting, stereo, and a large ventilator fan (10" diameter) hanging down above the bed. At 36" over the doorsill, it allows enough space for easy head-first entry/foot-first exit, or once did, before I got a bad back and knees (I've since added an overhead grab handle to aid exiting).
  • The decision to use a rear head position was due to having the axle a bit too far forward (55/45 as opposed to 60/40 front/rear placement), having too much front slope on the leading edge of the roof (45 degrees, because I wanted easy mitered cuts), and placing an overhead shelf just above the doors (I should've placed it 6" higher, to make headroom when entering). With either a taller or longer profile, the door could've been in a better position for a standard sitting posture upon entry/exit, but I squeezed everything in in too tight a space, to allow for that. Maybe that's why people build a second trailer, to correct their errors committed during their first build, or at least smooth out the rough edges. I wantd to build a different sort of trailer; some things worked well, others not so much.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby KendaldaCosta » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:39 am

working on it wrote: (I've since added an overhead grab handle to aid exiting).

This is a great addition. definitely putting that on the list.
Kendal
KendaldaCosta
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 am

I'll probably swap the headboard to the nose end of the trailer and switch my sleeping orientation.

I think that will aid with entry and exit––plus one thing that works for us, are hooks just aft of the door and right at the ceiling to hang our clothes from. It'd be a bit of a pain without them. Flipping around will allow you to have a couple of hooks and your hanging clothes won't be in your face.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:17 am

tony.latham wrote:
I'll probably swap the headboard to the nose end of the trailer and switch my sleeping orientation.

I think that will aid with entry and exit––plus one thing that works for us, are hooks just aft of the door and right at the ceiling to hang our clothes from. It'd be a bit of a pain without them. Flipping around will allow you to have a couple of hooks and your hanging clothes won't be in your face.

Tony

I've put a hook right over the window in my door. I use a modified coat hanger ( no hook at the top) and hang my jacket there. It cuts some of the chill from the window and makes it easy to deal with a jacket when entering or leaving ( though this would suck if the jacket were wet)
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby kramergwt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:22 am

Not to change the thread but, Tom, that Silver Beetle is outstanding. It is the exact look I am going for. I just ordered whitewalls and 15" rims so I can figure out where I want the fenders. ...then I will know the door shape and location. Did you design yours yourself?

Anyway, great job!
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques