The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby toypusher » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:52 pm

Went back to my neurosurgeon today and I need an MRI again (yet to be scheduled). He says it might just be from favoring my left leg for about a year due to wearing a knee brace. Also, could have to do with scar tissue from my back operation. Guess I will find out sometime between now and the middle of January.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:53 am

Good luck Kerry! :worship:

I did a little more christmas shopping yesterday.... then headed to the shop .. switching over to snow tires on one of my Fat bikes. I ended up at the shop a good part of the day. We had our group BKool "race" last night. I was pretty tired from lack of sleep the last few nights... and my legs were pretty heavy.

I did a warm up ride.. and felt pretty dead.. I sat on the couch a moment waiting for start time.. and fell asleep. :o I rode ok.. my watts and pulse were way down from the night before.. but fortunately no faster people showed up. I had one guy push me a little.

I have a dentist appointment later today... :( Between today, and the weekend I hope to try some more trail grooming...otherwise I am not sure if we have anything specific.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:27 am

I did some more trail grooming yesterday. Lee has been out more with the 4 wheeler.. leaving frozen ruts that were a challenge in some places. The machine was working well. I was out about an hour and a half... it felt much longer. In our terrain.. it's still fairly physical work. It is hard keeping track of what I have groomed and what I haven't. It will be best if I choose.. specifically what I will try to keep groomed for riding... and work out a system of doing it. Of course right now.. it is all exploratory. At this point..one can't help, but push it's limits.. to see what it is capable of.

I also need to figure out what to wear. I ended up a sweat mess, and then got cold. The throttle lever is cold on the finger.

I did take it on a new trail.. that was tougher than I was remembering. I did tip it over in there a few times. Fitting a 20" track between stumps and ledge and logs is different than a 3" tire. It might be improved with more snow... or it might actually be worse. There was an easier parallel trail.. that I used on the way back.

We did do some BKool rides later... and a quick sauna..

I am not sure what's up for today. We have nothing specific.. except an appointment with the cable guy coming later this afternoon. [I am shocked it's on a Sunday] Our cable hasn't changed since their last fix.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:09 am

I need to vent.. :x Nothing here.. from FB and people I know.. Matt and Chris.. have been trying to build a track sled.. similar to my Snowdog. They did get something built last year. Matt recently posted that he was seeking a kid's sled [snowmobile] He didn't care if it ran or or even if it had an engine. He was after the track and associated parts. David.. a cyclist and a very experienced snowmobiler.. asked what he was going to use it for. Then Matt said. He was looking at building a different track sled.. what they have doesn't turn well. David said the track for like an Artic cat kitty cat.. was way too small.. and won't work. Matt argued.. along the way he said he knows more than most on this subject.

David said in his opinion.. to do what they wanted with their machine, the minimum track size they should look at was a 121x15. Chris says that is what they used and it doesn't turn. He also said look at the {commercial track sleds.. they use really short tracks}

No they don't... my track.. is around 120 something inches" and 20" wide [vs 15]. Snowdog does make a compact sled that is shorter.. the track being maybe 100 or so inches. Snowdog states this compact machine doesn't work in deep snow. Matt wanted to use a track.. that is 1/3 the size of the compact Snowdog.

I mention the size of my track.. and that it turns quite well... suggesting they look elsewhere for their issue. There were [to me] some obvious differences.. and I offered up some suggestions.

They really didn't want any suggestions.. [they do know more than most on this :? ] they got defensive said they didn't say such and such. [which they did say.. it was right there ^ in @#$%&%$ black and white.

They say it doesn't turn well and is tippy [don't hold me to the word tippy] They say it works that no one has seen it.. and I shouldn't judge. "What?? " I didn't say it didn't work well.. they did.. I mentioned seeing a video they had posted... and they say there was a video of it on gravel.. I dug out and posted the video I saw ON SNOW.. going up over a big Snowbank.. :?

They are F#%&@#^ morons.. they keep contradicting themselves and each other.. they can't even follow along logically.

They say I am assuming too much.. saying I think they should have a machine like mine.. I could care less what they have.. They don't want to spend the money... and say they can build one. I can fully appreciate that. {Matt's dad does the actual fabrication from their ideas] I don't have the tools.. the space.. and didn't want to wait. That was my preferred choice.. there's is different... that's ok.
They say it does not steer or handle well.. but it works well... :thinking: :roll:

They lastly said they haven't really tested it.. really? Why all this BS.. we have had snow for a little bit now.. get out there and freaking use it.

Thank you...

now back to our regularly scheduled program.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby lrrowe » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:38 pm

I am not sure I followed and understood everything you were saying here Glenn, but I,do know it can help to “vent”. :x
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:22 am

Hey Glenn, sounds like those guys need to get their heads out or just shut up!

I'm off to a doctor appointment in about half an hour or so. Then going with Mark to Bass Pro Shop and exchange some stuff from a couple weeks ago. Then hopefully when we get back we are going to the range. Still trying to get my MRI scheduled.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks guys. :D Matts a @#$%@#$ peckerhead. He knows it all.. and will always go oppose what I say..

Recently on a post of mine sort of praising .. "selling" people on the BKool trainer.. I had mentioned we didn't have a lot of time that day.. projects during the day.. and just a little time between that and going out to dinner.. I was saying how time efficient the BKool was.. with it we could fit in an awesome workout. Matt comes on and says it's not the same as riding outside.. :? but then a couple of days later.. people are asking about fat bike riding and what tires are the best etc. There are a wide variety of them available.. and what's best depends on the conditions. Some were talking about the BIG knobbier... and how well they work for the soft snow..
Matt comes on and basically says.. He only rides in "perfect" conditions.. or wise he is inside riding his trainer. :? :x I did refrain from repeating his words.. it's not the same as riding outside..

I was tagged into the grooming thread by a mutual friend. I was going to stay out of it... but I did later decided to offer up some of my knowledge and experience.. which was against what my gut was saying... :NC

Oh well.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:51 am

Cold and grey today.. with some light snow on the way. They are saying a dusting to maybe 2"

2" might make our ride tonight a little more interesting.. although help us tomorrow.. it is supposed to get above freezing... which would make for great grooming conditions.

Laurie is talking tomorrow off.. and I suspect we will go out and do some trail work.. I have some downed trees to clear... and plan to do some pruning back on the dual track.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:43 am

Went to the doctor and found out that my blood work was all wrong and not what she wanted at all. So, I do have to have new blood work, but not until June next year. We will see how that goes I guess. I have my MRI scheduled for Jan 2 at 6PM. Something to look forward too - NOT!!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:12 pm

toypusher wrote:Went to the doctor and found out that my blood work was all wrong and not what she wanted at all. So, I do have to have new blood work, but not until June next year. We will see how that goes I guess. I have my MRI scheduled for Jan 2 at 6PM. Something to look forward too - NOT!!

6 pm.. yuck... Good luck with it. :worship:

We have finally warmed up to 10 degrees... I am having a "hard time" with my hands today.. Reynaldo's. Of course I am also doing work where I need minimal gloves.. or bare handed.

Working on a bike.. getting it ready for tonight... doing more work on the Snowdog .. I had concerns about melting a water bottle .. I made a head shield for it.. but I am not liking it. I have taken it back off.. and I will try a metal bottle, placed upside down it the bottle cage [the cap is still plastic]. I placed some used bicycle handle bar tape, on the throttle and brake levers on the Snowdog... my finger got really cold operating the throttle.. The synthetic cork.. should work at a good thermal break.. and keep me a little warmer. I topped off the woodshed again.. from the further storage area.. while I can still easily get to that one.

We do have a ride tonight.. I am not expecting anyone but John.. I don't think Trip.. and Dan [nearby semi regulars] have Fat bikes.

Our trail network is starting to receive more attention. John is a huge fan... and has shared some about us. He also posted a photo that Laurie took of him on a great section of Gandalf's Revenge. He posted it on another group.. Fat Bike New England [if I remember correctly] that got us some semi local people who had never heard of us.. as well as others from further away. The President of New England Mountain Bike Association.. [the parent organization of all the local clubs] has asked to join.. and we have talked about the Snowdog.. their local club got one about the time we did.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:10 am

We had a fun ride last night. We seemed to have received a little over 2".. not a lot, but it made the ride more interesting. In some places the riding conditions were so-so.. The snow also made it harder to tell what was groomed. Of course riding while it was snowing didn't help. At more speed.. with just a helmet light... all that snow in your face gets brightly lit.. and that is all you see. :o :D

The grooming was better in some places than others. Some I can answer.. others I can't. We haven't had what I would call good grooming weather.. so I was pleased that we could ride at all.

Yesterday I early posted a photo Laurie had taken me of grooming the other day.. and I posted it on Fat Bike New England's page. Last night I got a little overwhelmed with questions and comments. Separately I have that President of Nemba asking me questions.. as was.. a friend of his. I had someone else from the town of Carrabassett Valley who had just purchased a machine.. also contact me with questions... as well as many one that other page.

I re-wrote Snowdog.. I had previously written them.. right before I had problems with my server. They did write back. The rail suspension is available now.. the groomer another month.. :( I might build something simple [and temporary] to strap under my current sled.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:40 am

More grooming yesterday.. and more this morning. It snowed a good part of the day yesterday.. So between Mondays and Tuesdays we got more like 6:8" vs the 2:3" we were supposed to get.

I groomed a couple hours yesterday, but quit because I was tired. It's fairly physical work.. and worse at the moment for we have a few people on 4 wheeler.. leaving frozen ruts. { I will be glad when they switch over to snowmobiles} I think a little more snow will help.. and make it easier.

The machine started feeling a little tippy again. I knew I had not completely adjusted it last time. I need to be able to hoist it off the ground to do the job better. I will probably look at setting up a spot for that today. I am not sure if I will try it where I store it. or move my mowing equipment around and try it in there. ?

I just now got a call my saw is fixed. :D

We are going to try riding again tonight..
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:40 pm

I did set up the chain hoist.. in the dog house.. [the place were I store the Snowdog] I used a chain spanning from the front of the machine to the rear.. and hooked the hoist to that. I think I want a strap or ropes.. that fasten to the machine for that... but always.. it worked nicely to pick the machine up off the ground.. and that made adjusting the track much easier.

We did ride tonight [while Laurie Hiked] We had a cold front coming through.. so it was quite windy and brisk.. although it had been above freezing this afternoon.. and the trails were not quite frozen up enough. We headed toward the fields.. and then out on the "road" to the pond.. some of that had had more traffic.. so more packed.. and much of it was more open to the sky.. which would allow the snow cool off faster. Conditions were still semi tough.. but our best yet this season.

Part way back John had a tire go flat.. we stopped to pump it.. but he was still leaking.. his beads weren't seated well yet.

After our ride tonight.. Matt... remember Matt... he @#$%@^$ asked if I could send him some photos of my Snowdog.. apparently.. he found some of what I suggested the other day.. of use... :?
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:02 am

Rainy today and might get close to 60 degrees. But, by next Tuesday the highs will be in upper 20s. Nice weather. Not doing much today. I have started using my recumbent exercise bike for a few minutes at a time and multiple times a day. That seems to be helping with my knee and back problems. Just have to keep going and hope it helps even more.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:14 am

Good luck with the biking Kerry.

I am just getting back to weight training. I had been doing good.. once I felt ready.. and was released to do so.. we get back into trail work.. and other physical work.. and I was often too tired after that to do the weight training...but I have felt I really needed to get back at that... so.

They had predicted some serious ice last night.. Thankfully we did not get all that much. At least here.. not a lot of ice.. a little bit on the trees... and a nice layer of crust.. not a lot of rain or snow either... We are to have a clearer calm day today.. with 5" to 10" of snow tomorrow.. then Cold after.

Today.. snow clean up. I have not touched the last few storms.. now that the threat of ice is gone.. we have a bit of accumilation on the ground.. and this next big one on the way.. time to get at it.

Yesterday was mostly an easy day here.. I did work on our temporary snow groomer.. I did also do more exploration on that. Looking at other groomers.. looking at what I want and what I don't. I have one on order from Snowdog but it isn't available for a while. I have had two people say they will help me build one... I just have to design what I want.

Merry Christmas everyone!
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic