Micro Outdoorsman

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Micro Outdoorsman

Postby OCBINVA » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Well I am going to begin my build of what I am calling the Micro Outdoorsman after the holiday. I own three vintage campers a 66 beeline, a 65 COX, & a 65 Apache. I have however been intrigued with teardrops and have been lurking around this site for a while. Well a month ago I seen a CL trailer two hours away that I thought would be a good way to transport my bike to Sturgis. The guy advertised it as rust free frame, good tires, 5 x 8 x 6, but ad had bad pictures. Well it was none of those things. I drove all the way there to find out it was 4 x 7 x 5. Tires dry rotted, frame rusty. After sharing my displeasure with his honesty I began my drive home since this trailer served me no purpose. He flagged me down as I was leaving and said what would you give me, I said it was worth no more than $100 to me. Well he accepted so I took back roads all the way home and went slow. Figured I just use for storage.

The more I sit on this I began to think I could use it as a proof of concept project and build a teardrop-ish one man camping, fishing, hunting, kayaking, biking micro trailer. My plan is to tear down to the frame, media blast or wire wheel, make repairs and repaint, rebuild axle, and replace springs and hardware. I might flip axle? The metal skin is shot so I will replace or try PMF. The trailer walls have many bolts through it with the way it’s built and I want to keep existing framework since it’s strong and not a drop has leaked inside since I got it. So a clean skin is a no go. Or I put the bolts through it and paint to match siding and seal so they do not leak. All corners are a brackets that bolts and sandwiches the walls together and an L-Channel on the bottom fastening it to the trailer. All very strong! I want to try my hand at solar, insulating, interior finishes, wall mounted cot or folding bed, etc… I figure I could try some building concepts without building a teardrop yet. When done I will have the room of a 2 man tent with a bit more headroom. Bike will easily fit in transit, fishing rods inside or underneath, Kayak on top or keep on tow vehicle. This will be my winter project this year. The only challenge will be painting anything since I do not have a garage at this house. I am 6’1”, 205 so it will be a tight fit but should be a fun project! I will be asking for advice along the way I am sure. Rick
ImageImageImage
The Perpetual Tinkerer... The Goal: To keep Idle hands Busy, the Mind active, and the Muscles stretched...

Current Build: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69709

Owner of a 66 Beeline, a 65 COX, and a 66 Apache and soon to be Micro Outdoorsman
OCBINVA
Teardrop Builder

Re: Micro Outdoorsman

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:09 pm

That's pretty rough. Better keep the pics coming... :pictures:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby OCBINVA » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:00 am

mikeschn wrote:That's pretty rough. Better keep the pics coming... :pictures:

Mike...
Yep I will after the holiday. My son is Home from college so he can help me with the disassembly. I don't have a media blaster here so whether I use wire wheel or media blasting will depending on the price of the local guy who does it. I'm looking at buying things ahead of time and my debate is the value of getting a fantastic fan or not for something that small and the current roof does not leak a drop! I'm just wondering if a side window that slides and a small fan would be good enough? I no experience with tiny trailers.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
The Perpetual Tinkerer... The Goal: To keep Idle hands Busy, the Mind active, and the Muscles stretched...

Owner of a 66 Beeline, a 65 COX, and a 66 Apache and soon to be Micro Outdoorsman
OCBINVA
Teardrop Builder

Postby DaddyJeep » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:10 pm

The sky is the limit my friend. You are only limited by your imagination..... and maybe your wallet... and maybe your skill level..... but other that that, no limits. :D

Really though, if it doesn't leak and dimensionally will fit your needs maybe you just need to dress it up a little.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby OCBINVA » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:49 pm

DaddyJeep wrote:The sky is the limit my friend. You are only limited by your imagination..... and maybe your wallet... and maybe your skill level..... but other that that, no limits. :D

Really though, if it doesn't leak and dimensionally will fit your needs maybe you just need to dress it up a little.
I'm trying to keep it simple but I tend to over do just about anything. I work in an office all day so I maintain my sanity by working on projects. As soon as the holiday is over I'm going to get started on it. Keep your eyes open I will post pictures.

OCBINVA
Teardrop Builder

Postby DaddyJeep » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:04 am

OCBINVA wrote:I'm trying to keep it simple but I tend to over do just about anything. I work in an office all day so I maintain my sanity by working on projects. As soon as the holiday is over I'm going to get started on it. Keep your eyes open I will post pictures.

I do the exact same thing(s). I sit in front of a computer all day so I just have to get out into the shop at night and get my hands dirty. I also complicate every project I touch. Maybe it is because my shop time is my therapy. The more complicated it is the less I can think about everything else when I am working on it.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby OCBINVA » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:49 pm

Well the process begins. I wanted to be farther along today with demo but daughter decided to see if her mirror was tougher than a mailbox and sons high pressure hose on power steering went bad. I finally got to it but it's now dark and cold. I dont have a garage yet at this house I bought. The bolts holding the walls to the base each had to have the cutting wheel taken to them. There was 13 of them. I also pulled the corner braces and the front just fell off so I will screw in some cross member to hold the box together until I can get the roof pulled.

I plan on tongue and groove walls or ply but I am not sure yet how I will run them along the ceiling. The braces are 1/2" c-channel with no place to screw. I was thinking maybe wood screwed into the side of it? It will come to me. There is along brackets with holes on ceiling with stickers saying that's where you put hangers for clothes. I will cut out or figure out a use for them.

The coolest part was I found a service sticker showing the bearing were serviced in 1971. The trailer is registered as a home built so unless I find an old vin I have no idea how old it actually is. The zip code on the record is in Iowa and I am in coastal Virginia.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

OCBINVA
Teardrop Builder

Postby OCBINVA » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:59 pm

May be done before I started. Well after demo there is significant rust through frame. It's not salvageable. The roof, corners and fenders are good however. So the dilemma is to walk away, buy a 4 x 7 HF trailer and built it with these parts, or pay to have new frame built. The axle I have is good however. All in all I only have $100 into it...I was looking forward to this build....Image

OCBINVA
Teardrop Builder

Postby OCBINVA » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:47 pm

OCBINVA wrote:May be done before I started. Well after demo there is significant rust through frame. It's not salvageable. The roof, corners and fenders are good however. So the dilemma is to walk away, buy a 4 x 7 HF trailer and built it with these parts, or pay to have new frame built. The axle I have is good however. All in all I only have $100 into it...I was looking forward to this build....Image

Well I think I am going to have a 4 x 7 trailer frame made or buy a Northern Tool trailer. Although this is not my dream trailer it is a small enough project I can bring parts in the house since I don't have garage. Do some proof of concepts, etc. The frame can stay in the driveway in a parking tent and heater to paint it. I am in the east coast snow storm today so next week I will get a couple quotes. I would do this weekend but gotta take boy back to college from the Xmas break. I can weld but I got rid of my gear years ago so I will just have it manufactured. If too expensive I will get a trailer kit but use my axle and sell off the one that comes with it.

Just kills me that people think trailer frames are made.of gold. I spoke with one guy who wanted 500 for rusty and no title. And others have complete HF trailers for more than the kit itself...the CL search continues...

OCBINVA
Teardrop Builder

Return to Build Journals