Tires not made in China

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tires not made in China

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:55 am

After a couple of folks here had catastrophic tire failures on grossly under loaded ST tires I switched to Micheline Harmony passenger car tires, each with the load capacity of the entire weight of the tear. Trailer tires are not as vigorously tested and standards are not as stringent, my bet they figure it will be less fatal when they blow. On FB one couple with a new trailer has had one blow out per day (total four) and I suggested weighing the trailer and making a complaint to NHTSA.
Today some one posted that Goodyear is now making a US made ST tire.
https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/goodyear_launches_american_manufactured_trailer_tire.html
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Tires not made in China

Postby MtnDon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:41 am

:thumbsup:
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby woodywrkng » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:45 am

I have Carlisle trailer tires, bias ply, and am pretty sure they're made in the USA.
woodywrkng
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:01 pm

woodywrkng wrote:I have Carlisle trailer tires, bias ply, and am pretty sure they're made in the USA.
:thumbsup: They were , at least my 12-year-old bias plies are, but I don't know about their newer tires. If they are still made here, then I regard them as better than any of the Chinese ST tires, and as good or better than my previous favorite trailer tires, Denmans (no longer making ST tires), from 20 years ago. All my Chinese tires bought over the last 10 years have quality issues, tread separation, and just don't last. That's why I switched to LT tires for my squareback TTT (all-terrain General Grabber AT2). From what I've been reading on other forums, not just TnTTT and Expedition Portal, many people are putting LT (light truck) tires on trailers, primarily to get good tires with better quality than the Chinese ST tires. I still have my old Carlisles, one as a spare, now, and the other in reserve. They are good enough for that duty, even though they've been patched, plugged, and started to age-crack...they just don't build them that good anymore.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby gudmund » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:36 am

very easy to find out where your tires were made (as long as you are still able to get down on your knees - and yes, this is getting harder and harder for me to even do) it is written along the edge of the tire bead where it was made along with the date it was made being you are there looking, you can find that out too. The date is a oval shaped - stamped set of 4 ##'s with the first 2#'s being the week of the year it was made and second 2#'s being the year. Example: 0416 would mean it was made the 4th week of the year which would be the last week of the month of January 2016. The tires that came on my teardrop (2012) were China made Loadstar brand 205/75-14's that I just replaced this last year, they were half worn out with about 26 thou miles on them, with the same size 'made in USA' W-M Douglas brand car tires (Douglas is the cheaper brand name Goodyear uses - have used these tires for years on my last 3 or 4 Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift's getting 50/60 thou miles out of each with no problems, have had 7 of these cars so far getting 300 thou out of most of them - except #2 that I hit the wind storm downed tree with at 50mph and walked away from at 102 thou miles - since 87 driving them to and from work - retired now and #7 is my main driver - 43/44++mpg-paid for-CHEAP!!) The teardrop now rides now SO MUCH BETTER!! with the car tires instead of trailer tires - trailer tires are built with such stiff sidewalls that I "do not" feel are needed on teardrop trailers being we are not having to deal with the top heavy, over weight trailers that for the most part, like to sway in the wind and to think, there was also a weight savings gained from this change over - each car tire was a whole 5 lbs. lighter than the trailer tires being replaced for a total of 15 lbs saved being I also replaced my spare. The load capacity was equal between the two at the same air pressure and what I also like is the fact that these have a 'S' rating for speed which is a 110mph rating (NO, I will not ever be towing at that speed but I like the overkill factor of this rating) - trailer tires for the most part are speed rated for 65mph which is mainly do the thick sidewalls which hold heat do to the much higher load ratings they are rated for do to the heavier trailers that they are being used for. My tear weights out at a total 1300 lb axle weight when loaded with this car tire having a load rating of 1400 lb per tire at 30/35 lbs of air pressure - take care.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:29 am

The only reason––in my humble opinion––to run ST tires is on double-axle trailers with their subsequent heavy side-wall stress while turning.

I'll stick with my radial LTs. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:09 pm

I agree - for your off road use. I think LT's are a great chose!! I though, as I was when I used to be into bicycling years ago, am still of the "roady" mentality (no mountain bikes - road bikes only and yes my PU is 2 wheel drive "lowered" a couple inches) Regular Car tires work just fine for my use. take care
gudmund
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets