Is this a leaking bearing?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Is this a leaking bearing?

Postby DavidMcC » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:40 pm

my trailer has less than 100 miles on it and I noticed this today. I have had it out a few times and I tighten the lug bolts prior to every trip.
Attachments
untitled-2-2.jpg
untitled-2-2.jpg (62.01 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Is this a leaking bearing?

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:57 pm

Bearings don’t leak, seals do. It could be coming from the inner bearing seal at the far side of the hub. Or something could have splashed on the hub. Or the hubs might have gotten too hot. Have you tried feeling the hub after driving 30 miles or so. It should be warm to the touch, but not hot ( unless the fender is also hot from the sun). Here’s a link to a schematic so you can see what’s inside.
http://www.easternmarine.com/tech-info/ ... heel-hubs/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:57 am

My guess would be a improperly installed seal or damaged when unit was being assembled...

Really looks like something was spilled on it and collected some dirt (dust) to make it visible..., I would open it up inspect everything and clean it and test again...

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:08 am

Dont think it could have been overfilled and a little heat caused it? Presumably leaked while stabding since its all one way. Just to much and/or some in cap.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:24 pm

QueticoBill wrote:Dont think it could have been overfilled and a little heat caused it? Presumably leaked while stabding since its all one way. Just to much and/or some in cap.

That’s a good point. A leak like that could also come from a cracked hub. It would be tough for a leak from the rear seal to cause that, and it’s in the wrong place for a front cap leak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby les45 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:10 pm

My new Dexter axle had the same stuff slung on the outside of both wheels after my first trip of about 300 miles. I checked everything after I got home and the seals and dust caps were all good and clean and tight. No sign of any grease leaking anywhere. My theory is that it was a thin layer of grease (or gunk) that was coating the outside of the hub when it was originally manufactured and shipped. It slung off and got onto the wheels when they got up to speed. There wasn't a lot on any surface but there was a little more on the outside of the wheels than on the inside. I cleaned the hubs and the wheels and decided to wait and see if it happens again. I had totally repacked the bearings and installed new seals before I used it the first time just to be on the safe side.
les45
500 Club

Postby elcam84 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:06 am

The grease they used may have separated more than usual and that is what leaked out. Very common to have grease on trailer rims especially ones with bearing buddies and are used allot. That's why I always paint my wheels black cause white is a horrible color choice for something that will get nasty.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby dmdc411 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:52 am

Clean it up, keep an eye on it. My old boat trailer with bearing buddies would kill a seal every few years. Pull it apart, check it over, install a new seal, put it back together. Cleaned and repacked every 5 or so years. Teardrop wheels have been cleaned and high quality grease used. Every trip I have to wipe the rims down. White shows it all. In spring, they'll be painted a dark color to hide the dirt!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets