Best way to air condition a TD?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Best way to air condition a TD?

Postby ae6black » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:09 am

Now that it's winter and I have a little bit more time on my hands, I've got to thinking about air conditioning as an afterthought. I only have one door so I can't block the door window with some kind jury rig. What I was thinking was perhaps to use some kind of Small Air conditioner sitting under the TD with hoses coming off some kind of homemade manifold right out of the back of the Air Conditioner and with some kind of 6 inch or so flexible hose come up to my side window and attach to some kind of window attachment that would attach to my window. Some questions that I have about the process for anybody else who's ever thought about this. 1. How would you attach this thing to the window? How would you keep it from banging against the side of the window every time it turns on? 2. How do you adjust the temp when you are inside and the Air Conditioner is sitting on the ground under the TD? 3. What would material would be durable and easy to work with that you could fashion into the manifold and the part that butts up against the window? 4. What kind of flexible hose is out there that would work that would stand up to rain and wind and my clumsy feet in the dark?

I am sure someone has already done this with great success. I would love to see pictures of what they did and read about how they pulled it off.

Merry Christmas!

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Best way to air condition a TD?

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:58 pm

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44561

This probably has more info than you want. I use 5 inch hoses, others have done it with 4 inch, but some have trouble with icing and 4 inch hoses. I believe that if you use air flow parallel to the cooling coils the icing issue can be controlled. At the very least, a 5 inch return and a 4 inch supply to the trailer should work fine.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Re: Best way to air condition a TD?

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:06 pm

ae6,
Check out what Paul did about his air conditioner on his Wanderlust build page.. and shows exactly how he did it.. :thumbsup:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35787&start=180
Be sure to scroll down about half the page..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion