things u love or hate

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: things u love or hate

Postby Shep505 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:26 pm

Funny you say that because I'm thinking of using the Wyoming Woody plans as my starting point 5x9x4
Shep505
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jondbar628 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:36 pm

We went with a "squaredrop foamie" ( kind of a weekender-TD hybrid), to maximize interior space while maintaining a semblance of aerodynamics. Function over form, to a point..... The classic TD is elegant in it's shape and aerodynamics, but inefficient in interior usable space. 5 wide exterior - 56" interior- enough for a full sized mattress with an inch clearance on each side. Full 48" interior height (minus mattress thickness). No slide-out drawers in galley or bunk area. Bunk area cabinet doors are 5mm ply pullaways (no hinges, just magnetic catches). Open shelves. Netting where needed. Cheap & light. Cheap & light are the primary basis for my build. Of course, there are always trade-offs. Everyone has to make them. Pick your poison, but pick with the long-term view.........jd..................Forgot to add - mine is 9' 6" length on an HF 4 x 8, with extended reinforced tongue.
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:48 pm

Shep505 wrote:Honestly, if I was riding solo I would consider the 4 footer but my wife is my best friend in life and she will be with me on every trip so those extra inches in bed width are golden real estate. I figure a queen at 60 inches would be so tight on the sides it would be hard to make the bed taking into account wall thickness if insulated. I think the full size will fit perfectly but that's as small as I want to go.

We are going with a Full XL, 54X80 Queen is 60x80. I wouldn't fit on a standard full. 54X74.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:01 am

True memory foam in a teardrop doesn't work in cold climates. It'll turn hard as a rock. High-density (2.8lb or better) polyurethane foam works better and can be custom-cut for your needs at online retailers like the Foam Factory.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby Shep505 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:35 am

True memory foam in a teardrop doesn't work in cold climates. It'll turn hard as a rock.

Define cold. That make actually work in my favor cause I like very firm. I don't plan on camping beyond Thanksgiving in the NJ area with overnight temps maybe dropping into the low 40s. And doesn't the body heat warm it up anyway?
Shep505
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:07 am

Shep505 wrote:True memory foam in a teardrop doesn't work in cold climates. It'll turn hard as a rock.

Define cold. That make actually work in my favor cause I like very firm. I don't plan on camping beyond Thanksgiving in the NJ area with overnight temps maybe dropping into the low 40s. And doesn't the body heat warm it up anyway?

I can tell you that below 30F, it’s a rock. Body heat makes a rigid spot where you sink it, but it takes a while. It’s fine above 60, I’m not sure exactly when the cutoff is. My solution was to “ Pre heat” the interior with a propane heater for about 30 minutes until everything inside was above 70. Then the bed was soft, I still woke up in a form fitting space, but I fell asleep much easier. I recommend a base of non- memory foam, with a layer of memory foam on top. 4 inches of MF let me sink to the hard floor on warmer nights.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby rivernstream » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:29 am

Same a 60 inch foam Matress will fit a smaller space. Mine is also 57.5. I ordered my foam 5" from https://www.foamorder.com. Call them and they will walk you through to the best solution. I had mine cut to 58 wide and in 4 pieces because I have a platform that becomes a couch (with cargo space under the floor) and sewed covers. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rivernstream
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shep505 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:33 pm

[quote="rivernstream"]Same a 60 inch foam Matress will fit a smaller space. Mine is also 57.5. I ordered my foam 5" from https://www.foamorder.com.

Thanks,,, i just checked out this website and it looks like they are be my go to.
Shep505
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bc toys » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:51 am

Can't think of anything I hate about my trailer :thinking: and I love the space in it :D . It is 6Wx10LX6H and hope when I finish it this time it will stay as it is :twisted:
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shep505 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:31 pm

That an interesting project bc toys. Looks like you're going to have some really comfortable living space.
Shep505
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:44 pm

Shep, here's another idea..https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Portable-Mattress/dp/B01INZBCZ0/ref=pd_sbs_196_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01INZBCJG&pd_rd_r=GTPB1ZG1323GFZD494NE&pd_rd_w=lVpUt&pd_rd_wg=jwb1h&refRID=GTPB1ZG1323GFZD494NE&th=1
It's queen size and folds up into a couch, to be able to sit.. :)
My wife and I have ordered two of these in a full size. Feel that sleeping on 8" will better then 4" and we'll have the added benefit of folding them up at either end of the tear drop. With the 10" drop box in the middle. Will make a table to set on a pedestal for the middle and have the seats on both sides.. :thumbsup:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby sodatrain » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Just curious... Have you thought about a cargo trailer conversion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
My 7x7x14 Tandem Axel build thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69731
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jsnbergman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:38 pm

We worked around the form to create the function. Our form was dictated by the original trailer we were going to refinish and we really like the shape. That turned into a complete build but using the ideas we had originally and updated.

Our headboard solution. We had the same concerns about hinged doors, so I put in sliding doors. There is still a shelf above with a lip and usb ports to charge our phones. Wife wanted to be able to keep stuff in transit and not worry about a mess. 151794 151793 We also have a large shelf above the windows and another slider behind them in the rear.

I hear you about the constant thinking of the build. There are some nights I couldn't stop until the task was finished. Like the Galley hatch, I had to dry fit with the latches installed or I would have been building in my mind all night. Cant wait to see what you come up with.
jsnbergman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby les45 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Several thoughts:

1. I agree that memory foam is not for cold camping (even in the 40's). I have a 4" topper that is 1.5" memory foam and 2.5" regular firm foam. We tried the memory foam side but it was very uncomfortable (hard) at 41 degrees. We simply flipped it and use the regular foam for a sleeping surface.

2. If you don't camp in the heat of summer, then don't worry about AC. A good DC fan will do. Fantastic Fan is a good one. It is three speeds and reversible.

3. If you will only be camping where there is park power, then don't worry about batteries and converter/chargers. This is a big cost item. On my second build I used an old computer power supply for my DC and a simple circuit breaker box for my AC distribution.

4. I agree with previous comments about lots of AC circuits.

5. Use 15 amp inlet and accessories so you can use common extension cords for AC power. Also, buy some adapters that will allow you to use any of the campground power outlets (50, 30, 20, 15 amps).

6. Repack the wheel bearings with good grease if you are using a new NT trailer. The stuff that comes with it is only a preservative and not a good high temp grease.

The journal for my first build (a weekender) is kind of old so I'll give you a link here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49333
It contains a lot of info with helpful hints and pics that you might be able to use.
Good luck on your new build.
les45
500 Club

Postby Shep505 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm pretty excited because I just found out a friend of mine is going to sell me his 5x8 utility trailer with a 3500 lbs axle with 15" tires for 300.00. it's in great shape. So now I have a very solid starting point for my build for less money than I was going to spend on a lighter trailer. I'm
Shep505
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion