7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby Rainier70 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:50 pm

That is higher than I was thinking. But would still use an aluminum ladder... cheapest you can find. It just will cost more than I was thinking.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lawdog49 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:36 am

What's the weight on your trailer?
lawdog49
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:26 am

Hazardous Weather Conditions
•Wind Chill Advisory until December 31, 10:00 AM MST
Current conditions at
Miles City, Frank Wiley Field Airport (KMLS)
Lat: 46.42806°NLon: 105.88639°WElev: 2628ft.
Lt Snow
-15°F
-26°C
Humidity 76%
Wind Speed NNE 12 MPH
Barometer 30.57 in
Dewpoint -20°F (-29°C)
Visibility 8.00 mi
Wind Chill -36°F (-38°C)
Last update 30 Dec 11:05 pm MST
Extended Forecast for
Miles City MT
Wind Chill Advisory
NOW until
10:00am Sun
Wind Chill Advisory
Tonight
Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -27. Wind chill values as low as -40. North wind around 6 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Mostly Cloudy
Low: -27 °F
Sunday
Sunday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near -11. Wind chill values as low as -35. Calm wind becoming south southeast around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Cold
High: -11 °F
Sunday
Night
Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around -26. Wind chill values as low as -45. East wind around 7 mph.
Mostly Clear
Low: -26 °F
New
Year's
Day
New Year's Day: Sunny and cold, with a high near 0. Wind chill values as low as -40. East wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the afternoon.
Cold
High: 0 °F
Monday
Night
Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a temperature rising to around -8 by 5am. Calm wind becoming south southwest around 6 mph after midnight.
Mostly Clear
Low: -13 °F⇑
Tonight
Mostly cloudy, with a low around -27. Wind chill values as low as -40. North wind around 6 mph becoming calm after midnight.

Well, looks like winter is just about here. 4-5 more months and we'll have her licked. Piece of cake.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:27 am

lawdog49 wrote:What's the weight on your trailer?

It supposedly weighted 1,900 lbs. when delivered. I never weighed it so I cannot confirm that, but find it hard to believe just because my previous 14*7 ft trailer said the same thing.

I weighed my F150 and trailer (fully loaded for a trip) together on a truck scale and they weighed 12,440 lbs combined. The truck accounts for ~6,500 lbs, so I am thinking it is 6,000 lbs fully loaded.

Dry it is probably around 4,500 lbs given I had 66 gallons (528 lbs) of fresh water, a motorcycle, and lots of other stuff inside. One of these days I am going to have to weigh it alone to be more accurate.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Hader » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:43 am

Don,

I don't know if you already know this:
Truck stop scales are divided into 3 sections. If you find a CAT scale, that is not to busy, you might be able to place your trailer axle and tongue on the 1st & 2nd sections, drop the trailer and move vehicle over the 3rd. That way you can get all 3 weights in one ticket. Remember! Truck stop scales are only 'approximate weight'.

Happy New Year!
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:35 am

Hader, Howdy;

Most Truck Stop scales are accurate, they have to be, please read the following;
https://catscale.com/our-guarantee/
Kinda like the weights & measures division stickers you see on a gas or diesel pump
or the scale you (should), see at a Deli counter. Anytime that something is sold either
by weight or volume there is generally a Government agency there with it's hand out
grabbing a fee of some sort and the inspectors come around on a regular basis.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Hader » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:58 am

Hello Hank, Happy New Year!

Although the scales are certified by a Government Agency, the scales are only checked for accuracy by the company just prior to the next certification.
A typical scale would be inaccurate within very short time after certification, or after the 1st driver slides his rusty axles while on the scale.

Cat scales are nothing but a scam.

Cat Scales operates on these principals:
There are over 1,750 CAT brand scales across the United States and Canada
There are over 2,000,000 over the road trucks (Semi) in the U.S.
Cat Scales generates more revenue on $ spent (invested) than Microsoft or Apple.
Only a small percentage of the over the road trucks are over-weight.
A smaller percentage of ‘all’ trucks will weighed.
Government Agencies are lazy and will only catch minute percentage of violations.

Cat Scales will gladly pay 10’s or even 100’s of thousands of dollars a day on millions of daily revenue.
A driver or company receives a 'get out of jail card’ by having a $11.00 scale ticket.
A driver or company will gladly pay for such card.

Truck scales are only one of many illegal aspects of the Trucking Industry. Hours of service would be the other and major Scam.

I would use a truck scale, but I'd only take it as a proximate weight..

...Edited
Last edited by Hader on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby flboy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:14 pm

I weighed my truck and trailer on a scale at the local commercial landfill. I know the person who weighs the incoming trucks. All the trucks have an established tare weight so they can be invoiced for the load only. I am going to have to run my truck across by itself sometime to see what it weighs. According to the specs, it should be close to 6,000 lbs itself, but then I have a full tank of Gas, myself, and the bed has a lot of stuff in it when I go camping.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby NotJammer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:26 am

Please let us know when and how you anchor to the slab. I live in a tornado area. The weird thing here is I need a permit to tie anything down but don't if it just sits there. Even my 'portable' building which is 16 X 40 only needs permits if tied down. Odd

I park on my patio. The trailer has messed the bed...

ImageTrailer crap by moe.randy, on Flickr
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:30 pm

NotJammer wrote:Please let us know when and how you anchor to the slab. I live in a tornado area. The weird thing here is I need a permit to tie anything down but don't if it just sits there. Even my 'portable' building which is 16 X 40 only needs permits if tied down. Odd

Will do. I have not decided on a method yet, but it will likely involve eye bolts being screwed in anchors flush with the pad and then some cables to the frame or axles to tighten with turnbuckles. :thinking:
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby NotJammer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:22 pm

I'm not sure about axels. The leverage could be bad. Too long. I am considering 3 point. Sink a pipe with a removable ball to lock onto the trailer ball mount. Maybe add the tow chains. Must allow me to drive out over it. My yard works best if I drive forward onto the slab not too close to the house roof drainage and then drive off forward.

Then mount some tow hooks in the trailer 'bumper' area. No bumper involved.... I might then use adjustable tie downs.

Nothing will hold it in every storm, but it may keep it home in most. If it goes, so does the house and shed. And me. House is 100 years old. No basement.

With this plan, I can use 2 concrete anchors and a big pipe full of concrete at the front.

I have friends that put in a fiberglass tornado shelter. Small cave. $5K. They are made locally. It was right outside their back door. Last tornado hit so fast they only made it out the door and almost touching the shelter. They are OK and now promise to not wait so long. Not a Nuke shelter by any means.

flboy wrote:
NotJammer wrote:Please let us know when and how you anchor to the slab. I live in a tornado area. The weird thing here is I need a permit to tie anything down but don't if it just sits there. Even my 'portable' building which is 16 X 40 only needs permits if tied down. Odd

Will do. I have not decided on a method yet, but it will likely involve eye bolts being screwed in anchors flush with the pad and then some cables to the frame or axles to tighten with turnbuckles. :thinking:
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 pm

flboy, Howdy;

To bad you already have the slab built. Have you ever seen the padeyes that are used for aircraft tie-downs?
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... kQ9QEILTAA
A few sections of 3/8" or thicker re-bar crossed or just 1 bent section placed in a recess in the cement slab
and located under where the corners would end up then criss-cross your tie-down straps that's how I'd have
gone about it.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:36 pm

hankaye wrote:flboy, Howdy;

To bad you already have the slab built. Have you ever seen the padeyes that are used for aircraft tie-downs?
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... kQ9QEILTAA
A few sections of 3/8" or thicker re-bar crossed or just 1 bent section placed in a recess in the cement slab
and located under where the corners would end up then criss-cross your tie-down straps that's how I'd have
gone about it.

hank

Yes.. the whole thing happened kinda quick (long story) and I was not prepared. I'll figure something out. It won't be ideal as when the cement was being poured, but it should be adequate.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:35 pm

Don did you ride any two way trails or did you stick to the jeep trails and forest roads? That looked like the Centennial trail and that would be two way.

Make sure your KTM is insured for liability. Luckily We did. That guy tried to say it was my fault but he had no insurance. My company Allstate did investigate and thankfully sent me a letter stating that I was not at fault after investigating his claim. Can you believe that! Had I not been alert and cautious he may well have been a paraplegic breathing through a tube in his throat and my hand would most certainly have been severed completely. But he thought he could blame me rather than be great full at how things actually went down. Don't trust anybody when it comes to accidents it seems. Don't even reach out to them. It may come back to bite you.

See you soon. :beer:
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby McDave » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Tommy B wrote:Make sure your KTM is insured for liability. Luckily We did. That guy tried to say it was my fault but he had no insurance. My company Allstate did investigate and thankfully sent me a letter stating that I was not at fault after investigating his claim. Can you believe that! Had I not been alert and cautious he may well have been a paraplegic breathing through a tube in his throat and my hand would most certainly have been severed completely. But he thought he could blame me rather than be great full at how things actually went down. Don't trust anybody when it comes to accidents it seems. Don't even reach out to them. It may come back to bite you.

Truly words of wisdom. Life is full of risk. You must protect yourself and those you love by limiting your exposure. Insurance is an essential tool for protecting your family and financial well being. Often times fault is not determined by facts and actions but by the depth of your pockets. This is just the reality in a litigious society, so you must CYA at all times.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions