Challenger Doors - 805 series

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Challenger Doors - 805 series

Postby Esteban » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm considering ordering two challengerdoor.com doors for my teardrop. They often build teardrop camper doors that are 26" wide by 36" high. Jason at Challenger Door said their 26"x36" 805 series doors typically cost $265 each (in Jan. 2018), plus shipping. He confirmed that 805 series doors can be made in custom sizes.

I'm 6'4" tall. I'm thinking of ordering two 32" wide by 38" high insulated doors with vertical sliding windows to make it easier and more comfortable to get in and out of the teardrop. The modest cost increase (~$35/each) to $300/door for larger doors seems worth it to me.

I'm leaning toward choosing black doors with four rounded corners, foam insulation, inside trim rings, drip caps and tinted glass windows.

Before ordering custom built doors I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has Challenger 805 series doors. What are the pro or con issues with them?

These two videos are helpful:

Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Challenger Doors - 805 series

Postby Karen Clancy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:16 pm

I have the 805 doors in size 26x32 , They are Black Ent. insulated , with the white int. . these were installed by my builder of the tear . I did have a issue with one door from day one the street side door had a separation on the hinge side & the builder would not repair & told me that Challenger door was difficult to get warranty repairs from . I had talked to several others who inform me the to contact them direct which I did , I send pictures of problems to them and with in 3 weeks I had a new door . I could not be happier with there doors or the quick response to my issue . I only wished I had gotten the doors with the Black int. I would not hesitate to use there product again .
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Esteban » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Karen, Thanks for your helpful information.

If you will (or anyone else who has experience with Challenger 805 doors), please elaborate about the windows in your doors.

What size are the windows?

Which way do the widows slide open? Up/down, or side to side.

How much can the window openings be adjusted/opened?

Are there any pre-set window openings (or stops)?

How well do the windows secure, or lock, in place when open?

Do the windows lock securely when fully closed?

Could an intruder open a partly opened window far enough to be able to reach inside to open the inner door handle/lock?

Challenger 805 series doors have some compelling positives.

1) Challenger Doors are (much) more affordable than pre-made doors sold by Frank Bear at teardroptrailerparts.com/Windows___Doors

2) Challenger Doors can be built with custom widths, heights, and door/wall thicknesses.

3) Challenger Doors can have customized features: like choosing the colors of the inside and or out side door panels; colors/finishes of the inside and outside trim rings; colors/finishes of the locks, rain caps.

4) There may be more, not (yet) widely known, customized features too. There seems to be be a variety of windows and locks/handles to choose from.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Karen Clancy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:47 am

First off I made a mistake when I said mine were 26x32 should have said they are 26x36 . Ok My windows slide up/down . there are NO set opening adjustments it's open or closed , I made several different length 1/4 " dowel pieces to use as window stops . as far as how secure are they when locked I guess if someone wanted to get in they could force it . I had mine tinted limo black to keep prying eyes from seeing inside ( this was done not from Challenger ) local shop . Most of the doors Frank Bear sells are Challenger but stock size . I believe you can get different colors from him . I'm still trying to figure out a method of secure the window open at different heights , yes the screen does slide open from the outside . Hope this helps some
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:11 am

when prices are being compared between what Frank Bear sells his doors for and what seems to be cheaper prices being quoted here for doors purchased directly from Challenger themselves, my question is how much was the 'total' cost with shipping being Frank Bear's website states a packing fee but 'free' shipping. The free shipping maybe a better deal for us who live here on the west coast being we are so much farther away from where ever they come from, the comparison needs to be made both ways. Frank Bear also does not just offer standard made doors - they can be ordered from him with different windows/colors by contacting him directly.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby LMarsh » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:06 am

I have a custom made 805 door but have not installed it yet. Its white on the inside and mill aluminum on the outside. I believe its 4' tall by 2' wide (my build is going on 2 years). I had someone else order it for me because at the time I didn't know where to get them. I can take some photos of it and the components, but otherwise its been sitting waiting for me to finish my build and I don't have much first hand experience with it yet. I do remember reading on Challenger's website if you want to color match your exterior you can send them your cut out piece and they'll make the door from that. I'll probably do that next time.
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques