What is the best camping stove?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby ae6black » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:25 pm

I am on a search for a good camping stove. I have a Coleman classic propane that I can't quite regulate the way I want. I keep burning my pancakes, which to me is a carnal sin. I got a spiderweb inside one of the orifices and by the time I got the little bugger out I'd enlarged the hole and made the stove cook too hot. Now I have a two burner blow torch. I have an old gasoline unit that works well enough, these units just take too long to get regulated to cook the way I want to cook. Does anybody have a propane stove that they love and why? I am the most familiar with Coleman but would like to hear what others think about their equipment, regardless of the brand.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: What is the best camping stove?

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:41 pm

I started with this propane stove, and I really like it. It is a Coleman, but I don't know the model number. My experience was that is was a good stove and the burners worked well with easy adjustment. The reason I stopped using it was that it takes the small 1 LB propane bottles and they did not seem to last that long. I went back to the old Coleman fuel green vintage stove. I can travel and cook on a 2 week trip without filling the tank.

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Karen Clancy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:35 pm

Steve is that another teardrop or a previous one ??
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Any propane appliance designed for 1# bottles can easily be adapted to use another size tank including the standard 20# BBQ tank.

There are also 1# bottles designed for refilling that you can do so yourself from a big bottle to a smaller one.

Do not refill the disposable ones.

Also same with stoves designed for butane, including the big Iwatani catering style and the tiny backpacker ones, but adapters are pricey.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:27 pm

We really like our Primus.

It works great since the hose comes out the bottom and it's always connected to a one-pound bottle in the drawer below it.

However, I'm in the planning stages of build #4. I'll probably use a Partner and have it slide out 90º to give us more access to the counter. They're spendy but great stoves.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:29 pm

Karen Clancy wrote:Steve is that another teardrop or a previous one ??

That was my first one...It's been sold.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:45 pm

My 1961 Coleman and my 1972 single burner Coleman are my favorites. Just tuned both of them up. If you can find an older Coleman you can’t go wrong. White has lasts longer than propane. You get about 4x the burn time.

When I was 8 I bought the 72 single burner at an estate auction. It was a closed box sale. I won with a $5 dollar bid. Inside was the stove, the metal pot carrying case that the stove fits in. Lid is a pan and the body of the case is a pot. Also in the box was the heater top. It all still lives in that box.

The 1961I bought for $20 a while back. Wasn’t holding pressure in the tank and was dumping too much fuel out of the generator. Fixed the tank lid. Cleaned the generator and it’s been running perfect ever since. The old ones are really easy to work on. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one off CL or some other online site as long as the unit looks like the two in the picture. Most sell due to minor issues that are easy fixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:10 am

Refilling the disposables is stupid for use or even just to carry in an enclosed living space.

Even more so in a mobile context.

Some anectodal "I've been doing it for years NP" does not change that, even professionals do stupid things.

Especially when 1# bottles **designed and approved by DOT for refilling** have been available for years now.

Illegal to cross state lines with them also.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rkanz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:47 am

I have a Camp Chef Everest. It is the best stove I have used. Very high BTU and can simmer well. Push button igniter. Works well near freezing. I would replace to stove on my kitchen with one of these. A 1 pound tank lasts several days depending on the amount of cooking. I gave away my Coleman white gas stove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Cosmo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:01 pm

I use a 2 burner Dometic glass top

But If you want small and cheap as an emergency or an extra burner or backup stove -
large burner facilitates cooking real food! Light enough for backpacking. Handy if I need a third burner in the trailer. Puts out plenty of heat
$8 and FREE SHIPPING
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6 ... UTF8&psc=1

Or

$4 and FREE SHPPING
I have used this one backpacking. It can fit in your shirt pocket without the fuel can. Weighs nothing.
Small burner is fine for boiling water but creates a bit of a hotspot for cooking real food.
I can cook with it, but have to be very careful not to scorch the food with the blow torch nozzle. Puts out plenty of heat
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C3 ... UTF8&psc=1

You have to consider these stoves for what they are - $8 and $4 - AMAZING at that price - but not a $70 MSR backpacking stove. Reviews show people are plenty happy with them (if this is your need).

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby ae6black » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:53 am

I am specifically interested in hearing about a stove that I can use at low heat. My classic Coleman propane works fine at high heat applications. I am looking for a stove that I can simmer soups and what not at lower heat settings and cook pancakes without burning them on the outside while the inside is still gooey because my heat setting was too high. Both of my gas pump style Coleman's work great at high heat but are not as convenient as a propane stove for a quick heat up of canned stew or eggs and pancakes when you only want to have the stove on for a few minutes. Face it when I want to have a quick meal so that I can get out in the woods or out on the water in a hurry, I really don't want to fuss around with a camp stove that takes twenty minutes to begin heating the way I want them to. If I want a slow cooked decent meal, I have three different sized dutch ovens for that. Right now i am looking at that primus 100 that has a small footprint that I like for easy storage in the TD galley. One of the reviews I read however said that the stove worked fine except at low heat settings which is exactly the complaint that I have with my coleman propane stove. Does anybody have any experience with a propane stove that can actually simmer at low heat that you are pleased with?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby rkanz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Camp Chef simmers well.

rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:10 pm

When you find a model interests you otherwise, google it with

simmer

and you'll get reviews and blog/discussion posts wrt that aspect
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:34 pm

Right now i am looking at that primus 100 that has a small footprint that I like for easy storage in the TD galley. One of the reviews I read however said that the stove worked fine except at low heat settings which is exactly the complaint that I have with my coleman propane stove. Does anybody have any experience with a propane stove that can actually simmer at low heat that you are pleased with?

I just asked my wife on her thoughts on our Primus Firehole and how it simmers. Which I think is the 100.

She says she doesn't have a problem with it but you need to keep an eye on it when it's at the lowest setting to make sure it doesn't go out. But she threw in this caveat: We don't do much cooking that needs a low flame.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:28 pm

I’m going with a Partner Steel stove in my build. I’ve never used one but haven’t read one bad thing about them. Maybe the price. Partnersteel.com. Best price I have seen is from them direct. It’s build to last a lifetime.

If I only camped with electric I would go with an induction countertop cooktop with two burners. I have been thinking of one for outdoor cooking next to the grill at home. You do need induction ready cookware.

KTM_Guy
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion