What is the best camping stove?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What is the best camping stove?

Postby exminnesotaboy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:32 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:I’m going with a Partner Steel stove in my build. I’ve never used one but haven’t read one bad thing about them. Maybe the price. Partnersteel.com. Best price I have seen is from them direct. It’s build to last a lifetime.

Well, never heard of this brand and I just spent the last hour researching them. Looks like there will be no question which stove I’ll be buying next - and I don’t care it is double the cost, quality is not cheap.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rkanz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:27 am

rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ae6black » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:27 pm

Tony, could you ask your wife if the Primus cooks pancakes well? Also would a cast iron frying pan work better on a propane stove than the thin steel pan that I bought from Walmart that has a Teflon coating on it? I've honestly never cooked with a CI skillet while out camping even although that's what I use almost exclusively at home.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:24 pm

ae6black wrote:Tony, could you ask your wife if the Primus cooks pancakes well? Also would a cast iron frying pan work better on a propane stove than the thin steel pan that I bought from Walmart that has a Teflon coating on it? I've honestly never cooked with a CI skillet while out camping even although that's what I use almost exclusively at home.

Art

She has cooked them. They were delicious (as usual) and she didn't have a problem with the stove. We have a Coghlan's Two Burner Non-Stick griddle that fits and works well. $20 on Amazon.

:FNP And no... those aren't pancakes.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Special thanks to John61ct who suggested googling the model of stove that I am using and having problems with and the word simmer. I did I can't believe what came up. I was referred to an Amazon site that sells the Coleman classic propane stove that I've been having problems with. When I read the first review, I initially didn't believe what was written. There on Amazon, the first review of the stove I am having problems with said: take off the two black knobs, then remove the valve assemblies and scrape off the grease on the two rubber o rings, being careful not to get any lint or cotton from a cotton swab on the assembly. Next put some dilithium Bulb grease that I picked up from the Walmart Automotive section for a few bucks. It's just silicone grease used to keep bulbs from corroding in their sockets. I put this light grease on the two rubber o rings and reassembled the valve assemblies. I put the stove back together and couldn't believe the difference. This stove works perfectly now! A special thank you to Joh61ct on this site who told me to google the stove I was having problems with and the word simmer, which I was having so much trouble actually doing in real practice. You saved me from buying a new stove, because now the one I have works better than at anytime since I've owned it. Who would have thought that Coleman would put the wrong kind of grease on their valve assemblies? This thing now runs effortlessly on a low setting without turning up to blow torch status on it's own. While I haven't tried anything on the stove yet, I can see that pancakes from now on will no longer give me problems and I am not going to scorch what I am reheating in my pots and pans.

I am officially ready for the 2018 camping season and a happy camper!

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks for the kind words and happy to help.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby inthewoods » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:01 am

exminnesotaboy wrote:
KTM_Guy wrote:I’m going with a Partner Steel stove in my build. I’ve never used one but haven’t read one bad thing about them. Maybe the price. Partnersteel.com. Best price I have seen is from them direct. It’s build to last a lifetime.

Well, never heard of this brand and I just spent the last hour researching them. Looks like there will be no question which stove I’ll be buying next - and I don’t care it is double the cost, quality is not cheap.

I can attest to the quality of the partner steel stove. It’s a tank and all metal. I’ve had it for 4 years now I think! I bought the 22” and if I had to do it again I might have gone down one size but other than that it’s great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
inthewoods
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:00 am

ae6black wrote:Tony, could you ask your wife if the Primus cooks pancakes well? Also would a cast iron frying pan work better on a propane stove than the thin steel pan that I bought from Walmart that has a Teflon coating on it? I've honestly never cooked with a CI skillet while out camping even although that's what I use almost exclusively at home.

Art

I’m not Tony, or his wife... but I can tell you a pan with some weight will cook more evenly than those thin Coleman nestable camping sets. I use a stainless steel set we had left over. I was always burning stuff in the Colman set. The flame on my stove is still a bit high on simmer, but much easier to manage with a real pot.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 pm

inthewoods wrote:
exminnesotaboy wrote:

I can attest to the quality of the partner steel stove. It’s a tank and all metal. I’ve had it for 4 years now I think! I bought the 22” and if I had to do it again I might have gone down one size but other than that it’s great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious to why you would go down a size, to the 18" i would guess? I am racking my brain trying to fit the 22" in my build. The 18" would make things easier to fit. I was going to make some cardboard models of the 16", 18" and the 22" burner layouts and see how our pots and pans fit on each.

Thanks
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby inthewoods » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:23 am

KTM_Guy wrote:
inthewoods wrote:
exminnesotaboy wrote:
KTM_Guy wrote:

Curious to why you would go down a size, to the 18" i would guess?

Thanks

I don’t usually do a lot of two pot meals where both burners are running at same time. Only time I use the two burners together consistently is with my cast iron griddle / grill. but the burner spacing is such on the 22 that the heat distribution isn’t even across cooking surface of my griddle. Ends get hot quick and leave the middle a little lacking. So it would have been nice to have those burners a bit closer together that’s really my only beef with it. I don’t recall what size I would have liked better. It’s really a small point for me - more of an annoyance - I like your idea of doing the cardboard layouts to visualize how things would fit.
inthewoods
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:00 pm

My ol Sears was a $4.00 find at Goodwill in 2007 and is still with me. So at about 36 cents a year I think it was a great old camp cooktop.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:09 pm

The best stove is the one you already own. I worked with a Coleman propane unit I'd had 15 years. It's been in the tear 10 years now, and keeps going.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion