Teardrop heaters

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby John61CT » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:55 pm

You will want to minimize noise most of all.

Safety issues with the combustion exhaust, and follow their min/max specs for duct lengths.

I would recirculate the warm air for efficiency - does it come with a thermostat or just on/off?

Ventilation of fresh air I would do separately.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mtbikernate » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:51 pm

I've got a Propex externally mounted heater on my want list. The way those diesel ones operate seems nice, except I'm not already carrying diesel fuel for anything, so I'd have to include fuel storage for that, too. I already have propane for cooking, so using it for heating, too simply makes sense.

I've got other higher priority items on my want list right now, so it'll be awhile before I can do anything about it.

I have a 120v electric blanket I've used in the past for warmth, but it's obviously not very useful unless I have hookups. My other strategy has simply been to bundle up.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:34 pm

mtbikernate wrote:I've got a Propex externally mounted heater on my want list. The way those diesel ones operate seems nice, except I'm not already carrying diesel fuel for anything
So you'd want a gasoline version rather than diesel.

When searching also use "petrol" and "Benzin"
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mtbikernate » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:51 pm

John61CT wrote:
mtbikernate wrote:I've got a Propex externally mounted heater on my want list. The way those diesel ones operate seems nice, except I'm not already carrying diesel fuel for anything

Would still require an additional fuel storage setup, on top of the propane I already have.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:54 pm

John61CT wrote:You will want to minimize noise most of all.

Safety issues with the combustion exhaust, and follow their min/max specs for duct lengths.

I would recirculate the warm air for efficiency - does it come with a thermostat or just on/off?

Ventilation of fresh air I would do separately.

152838 Click to enlarger
Just got it put in. I put it in the galley. Venting under the shelf above my legs. It did not come with any duct length specs. My hot air duct is about 14". Exhaust is about 30" The control that came with it changes the output.
But I have had it running only a couple hours(on Kerosene). Need to get some diesel. It is louder then I thought it would be(rushing air). I will need a little time to check it out better. So far I think it will fit the bill for me. Low enough in price, FULLY vented, Only thing that is really hot is the exhaust tube(low fire danger), Can see fuel level(propane is a guess), Light and small fuel tank. May box in the intake to draw air from the cabin as It may have a air intake temp censer that shut it down when the cabin gets to temp. I LIKE IT!
Last edited by KennethW on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:21 pm

mtbikernate wrote:Would still require an additional fuel storage setup

Nothing wrong with carrying more propane, but what fuels your propulsion engine?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mtbikernate » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:29 pm

John61CT wrote:
mtbikernate wrote:Would still require an additional fuel storage setup

Nothing wrong with carrying more propane, but what fuels your propulsion engine?
Gasoline. Are you suggesting I tap into my tv's gas tank? I will not, which means I would still need a gas tank on the trailer. In addition to the propane I already have.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:24 pm

Do what you like.

I can carry 80gal propane myself on one rig, but with a compact setup would prefer to carry just a small BBQ bottle, which would not last long boondocking in the snow.

Doubling gasoline carrying capacity has other benefits.

Just pointing out alternatives, perhaps some are not aware of.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:25 pm

John61CT wrote:

This Chinese diesel parking heater cost $210. Googling (gasoline parking heater) The Chinese parking heater run around $450. A Propex propane cost around $700 All have there place. Making the diesel fully vented heater the low costing one for the frugal builder. I like to be able to look in the tank and know how much fuel is left. As far as I know the diesel heater can burn Kerosene if you don't like the smell of diesel. I will be using a 2 gallon gas can with the intake tube screwed on.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:21 pm

The diesel park heater worked really good. It was -6 f last night and on low it was about the right temp inside the teardrop. Used about a quart of fuel in 8 hours and took the battery down to half charge But the battery was not at full charge when I started And the battery was at -6 so the preformants so the battery was down. So the battery lasted, used little fuel, and lots of heat on demand(just turn the control sweet) The battery(biggest deep from Walmart) will be charged back up with solar so that is not a problem. like is so far.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Heavy_Fuel » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:43 pm

KennethW wrote:The diesel park heater worked really good. It was -6 f last night and on low it was about the right temp inside the teardrop. Used about a quart of fuel in 8 hours and took the battery down to half charge But the battery was not at full charge when I started And the battery was at -6 so the preformants so the battery was down. So the battery lasted, used little fuel, and lots of heat on demand(just turn the control sweet) The battery(biggest deep from Walmart) will be charged back up with solar so that is not a problem. like is so far.

How loud is it on low? I'm a really light sleeper, and the typical forced air furnaces in most RV's wake me up every time they cycle.

I love the idea of a fuel efficient and low 12V power drain heater.
Heavy_Fuel
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:38 pm

They're just as loud as the RV furnaces.

But you can mount them outside your living space, even in a well insulated box.

But someone standing near the burn exhaust will definitely notice it, bit like a vacuum cleaner.

Inside the living space near where you sleep would be like a jetliner taking off.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:46 pm

Heavy_Fuel wrote:How loud is it on low? I'm a really light sleeper, and the typical forced air furnaces in most RV's wake me up every time they cycle.
I love the idea of a fuel efficient and low 12V power drain heater.

If you are a light sleeper this is not for you. But if you can sleep with louder white noise. It would work for you. I would say it is equal to a forced air home furnace. BUT in that it has controlled output. It can run full time so no startup noise after you fall a sleep just a constant whoosh of air and the slow rhythmic thumping of the fuel pump.(white noise?) Plus with controlled output you don't have the hot cold cycles. But then I have not camped in is yet. ;)
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:24 pm

How many wires are needed for the t-stat? I want to rough in wires now that it would be easy and install the heater down the road when we need it. It will go in the tongue box.

Thanks
Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby KennethW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:04 am

KTM_Guy wrote:How many wires are needed for the t-stat? I want to rough in wires now that it would be easy and install the heater down the road when we need it. It will go in the tongue box.
Thanks
Todd

I would have to go out and look as it all came in the kit with plugs in the ends(plug and play) All I had to do was connect to power and even those wires had eyelets on. I when out and looked 5 thin wires. The control is a sealed box with the wire and a plug at the end. The control that came with my kit is more of a volume control as it turn the heat up and down. Not, on and off. Some kit may be different.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion