Howdy from the northwest corner

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Howdy from the northwest corner

Postby nay nay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:41 am

Hi- I'm been lurking here a bit as a designed my tiny travel trailer all fall and winter and now I am getting pumped to start building. I'm gonna use a super duty HF trailer to make a little unit to do some serious road tripping in as the primary goal. Mostly as a solo venture but also for 2 people for on shorter journeys or for camping. One key feature needed to meet these goals is a little potty closet - a stretch for this size I know, but I am 5'6", lol. I am going to make my own SIP to save weight and maximize space. I'm terrified of the whole thing flying apart on the freeway, but weight restrictions from the goal of being able to pull it behind my Outback and the 1750# weight limit of the trailer mean that I have engineering limitations . I'm pleased with my design. I believe that it is going to meet my goals for the project and come in at under $2,000 and under 1,200# . I'll tweak it as it goes. The weight calculations were harder to make than the cost of materials, and that is also something that does have an absolute limit, so it is a concern. I'll have to do my best on that.
Anyway - thanks for being here. I'll Ya posted.
nay nay
Teardrop Builder

Re: Howdy from the northwest corner

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 am

How large is your planned trailer? Mine is a 5x10 woody, coming in at about 1350-1400#
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby nay nay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:22 am

I'm gonna keep it the 4x8 of the frame. Your rig looks pretty sweet!
nay nay
Teardrop Builder

Postby Graniterich » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:33 am

Do you have the trailer yet?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:40 pm

nay nay wrote:I'm gonna keep it the 4x8 of the frame. Your rig looks pretty sweet!

Thanks! I know some of my weight came from the wall material. It's oak veneer plywood. I could not get 1/2" in 4x10 sheets, on 1/4" or 3/4". I choose the 3/4"
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby nay nay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:14 pm

I don't have the trailer yet, but concerns about when harbor freight might sort out their tire recall got me looking around at options, and now I am probably going to get a northern tool 5x8 instead - which gives me an extra 8sq ft to play around with.
nay nay
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:26 pm

And howdy, back at ya! :thumbsup:

One key feature needed to meet these goals is a little potty closet - a stretch for this size I know, but I am 5'6"

YECH! :frightened: :?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Have you seen this discussion?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56787
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby kykate » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:27 pm

nay nay wrote:Hi- I'm been lurking here a bit as a designed my tiny travel trailer all fall and winter and now I am getting pumped to start building. I'm gonna use a super duty HF trailer to make a little unit to do some serious road tripping in as the primary goal. Mostly as a solo venture but also for 2 people for on shorter journeys or for camping. One key feature needed to meet these goals is a little potty closet - a stretch for this size I know, but I am 5'6", lol. I am going to make my own SIP to save weight and maximize space. I'm terrified of the whole thing flying apart on the freeway, but weight restrictions from the goal of being able to pull it behind my Outback and the 1750# weight limit of the trailer mean that I have engineering limitations . I'm pleased with my design. I believe that it is going to meet my goals for the project and come in at under $2,000 and under 1,200# . I'll tweak it as it goes. The weight calculations were harder to make than the cost of materials, and that is also something that does have an absolute limit, so it is a concern. I'll have to do my best on that.
Anyway - thanks for being here. I'll Ya posted.

Nay Nay, have you considered a foam build? Excellent way to save weight. We are starting on ours just now.
We have been using the Camco 41545 Premium Portable Travel Toilet (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018L ... UTF8&psc=1) for tent and yurt camping, and I am very happy with the lack of odor and ease of use. We are also building in a "closet" for this in our trailer.
Welcome! :D

Kate
kykate
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Do yourself a favour and find something better than a HF utility trailer!
Remember the old saying "A house is only as good as its foundation" .....well, that is also true for Teardrop Trailers.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby nay nay » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Thanks folks. I'm eager to get started. I'm excited to be moving up to the 5x8 NT trailer to get the extra 8 Sq feet and greater width for stability and what seems to be a better quality lighter weight trailer. It's going to add time and money to the project, but in the end it will be much more usable and comfortable.
Kate, I was planning on getting a similar toilet from the same maker ; slightly different serial number - but the one you linked is a little cheaper, so thanks.
Pete, cool chart. I'm still going to be really careful but from the numbers it doesn't seem impossible to go light enough to pull with my Outback.
I'm getting pretty excited!
nay nay
Teardrop Builder

Postby pchast » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:08 pm

I pull mine with one. Its 4 x 8 and 560 lbs more than half loaded.
I had the bedding and some tools in it when weighed.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby nay nay » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:08 am

tony.latham wrote:And howdy, back at ya! :thumbsup:

One key feature needed to meet these goals is a little potty closet - a stretch for this size I know, but I am 5'6"

YECH! :frightened: :?

Tony

I think you might want to see a doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nay nay
Teardrop Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves