Newbie introduction

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie introduction

Postby Awesomejim » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:29 am

IMG_0160.JPG (1).jpeg
IMG_0160.JPG (1).jpeg (37.49 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Hi Folks, I am Awesome Jim. I have been wanting a teardrop for quite a while and am ready to build.I live in West Hartford , CT, just retired, and my second career is an on demand dog walker and dog sitter so I can choose when I want to work or camp. I think camping will win don't you.

I am going with the 4x8. on Northern trailer. I need to know how to brace the trailer as its the folding type or if another 4x8 trailer is better let me know. I don't expect alot of weight . I am considering buying the plans from Big Woody but do not know if I need upper insulation and I do not know if their plans include the Luan inside the roof. I question if for 3 season camping I should insulate the sides but the top seems pretty straight forwatd and I figure the mattress will insulate the floor. If someone can answer that as well as if the plans include a basic galley that would help me. Also, if any other plans with templates are also worth a look , let me know. I am not a great carpenter but very patient.I do better with exact measurements and templates at least for this first one before I find out what I don't know. If you have used any of the 4x8 plans that are for the non professional let me know. Thanks.Awesome Jim
Awesomejim
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie introduction

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:23 am

Welcome,

Many have someone weld them one. places that do trailer repair often can make them.

If you get a folding bolt together make sure you replace the bolt where the fold is with one that will not let it bend. you also want to make sure the bolts that hold it together are not just tight but are each covered with threat lock although with any winter and salt on the road they will rust into place over time. you could have a welder weld together the folding part too.

You just want to learn to grease the hubs every so often. make sure you grease them before you start they often have none or shipping grease instead.

But it might be worth talking to some welders in the area about the cost of having them make one. You would be looking for a welding fabricator. Some of the guys on the forum will make one for you for a price or the guys on the forum who live in your state might know of someone who does that. Often places that have several trailers on the lot for repair also can make them.

http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=35

ron :D
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi Awesome Jim
Welcome to the Forum and the world of Teardrop Trailer Camping.
Do yourself a favour and pass on a HF or NT folding or non folding trailer.
Have a simple trailer frame welded together either by a friend or a welding shop if you don't weld.
Next order a Dexter Rubber Ride Axle that will bolt directly to your trailer frame.
That is the draw back to using one of those cheap pre made utility trailers as your foundation, they are
spring with light weight springs and have cheap wheels and tires that are too small.
They tow like crap..........so if you plan on travelling with your trailer and enjoying the freedom of retirement, build your trailer right!
Who knows you may come west to "Gods Country" some day, and you sure as heck don't want to be broken down on the side of the road in South Dakota! :roll:
Good Luck with your build....there is a lot of good information to be had here on the Forum.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
PS
We have towed Miss Piggy 61,000 trouble free miles in the past 5 seasons since I retired. :wine:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby dutrisac24 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:42 am

Hello Awesome Jim.
I don't know about the trailer but I insulated my floor as well as the sides. Also, I purchased plans but they were a waste of money. unfortunately I built my trailer before I found this site, and there was a lot of "figuring out" how to do things. Use resources on TNTTT they are very helpful to a new builder.
dutrisac24
Teardrop Builder

Postby bc toys » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:45 am

welcome Jim to the best trailer site hope you get all the help you need
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves