Dutch OVen Table

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: Dutch OVen Table

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:35 pm

:thumbsup:

Improvise, adapt overcome.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:45 pm

bobhenry wrote:High wind ....... You can always drop the dutch oven in your Weber smokey joe Jr. grill.

Okay. Give it up, Bob.

Do you camp to camp or do you camp to cook? :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:35 am

I go about 320 Tony you can figure it out :rofl2:

My album has 100 + pics of wonderful cast iron creations and somewhere on u tube is "dutch oven seminar" videographed at the 2013 cross roads of America gathering.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:59 am

bobhenry wrote:I go about 320 Tony you can figure it out :rofl2:

My album has 100 + pics of wonderful cast iron creations and somewhere on u tube is "dutch oven seminar" videographed at the 2013 cross roads of America gathering.

There is nothing like camp cooking!

Soothing and carefree.

When's spring gonna sprung??? :x

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tomhawk » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:56 pm

I saw someone advocating using an old electric fry pan picked up from a yard sale for a dutch oven table. I realized I had one of those items handed down to me that had been in family since before the Cuban missile crisis. I have not used mine for many years. You can buy them on eBay where they are referred to as "vintage". :shock:

Here is mine with 10" do. I think this might work very nicely. My pan also fits a 12" do. They come in various sizes. Some are smaller.

It is compact, has a nice handle, light in weight and could be used safely on a picnic table.

Tom
Evolution is driven by mistakes, not plans.

My build: https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=75248
tomhawk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tomhawk » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:19 pm

We just returned from a camping trip out west and I can confirm that an old electric skillet makes a terrific DO table. We used it for at least eight meals.
It was very easy to clean up afterwords. I can detect no damage to the aluminum surface from the bottom coals. I like the handle.
The plastic legs on the skillet raised the bottom off the supporting surface so it was possible to cook on a picnic table with no damage to the table.

We used an 8 inch DO and started coals in a compact Weber chimney. This chimney takes up less space and provides plenty of space for the needed coals. I have seen that there are collapsible chimneys for sale. I would be interested in those for even more space saving. Does anyone have an opinion about these devices?

Thanks,

Tom

tomhawk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:05 pm

I have a large spider skillet that will hold my dutch oven. ( or my rat tail skillet shown)
I can set it right on a wood surface without fear of scorching anything.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby gudmund » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:33 pm

I did get one of the Camp Maid 'collapsible' chimney's -have yet to use it but it does take up a "LOT" less storage room when travelling and looks very well made. Will be interesting to see how it holds up once the 'heat' is put to it?? May get to use this next week when I leave to meet up with the group for the last few days of our Idaho Crawl..... :thinking:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:19 pm

BobHenry's 'disabled' walker idea for the dutch oven work table is one 'Great' Idea!!!! and has worked just fine for me these last few years, but I was never able to find the used satellite dish seen here, BUT what has worked well for me instead is a Coleman 12in x 21in steel griddle in it's place (Amazon for about $20 - store close to $30) removed the side handles from it and than connected it the same way to the top of the walker handles shown here in the pictures - works great!!! Also have plywood boards cut to fit that I slide in from the side using the walker cross-braces for support (same as seen in photo here) = a nice portable end table for whatever you need it for. :thumbsup: PS update on Camp Maid fire starter = worked good for getting the fire/brackets going, just not quit as big as the old one thus not holding as many brackets - but it is much more 'compact' for storing away for travel = I like it so far...……...think I will be keeping it...…
Last edited by gudmund on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby tomhawk » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:01 pm

The web site for the folding campmaid charcoal starter states it can hold 45 briquettes. That seems to be plenty to give 450°F for a 14 inch DO.
Do you need more than that? If you are doing a large party I guess you might.

In this era of social isolation maybe we can make do with that many.

Thanks for replying.

Tom

tomhawk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:15 pm

I wonder if they have made it a bit bigger now days - 45 seems like a lot for the size mine is. If I remember right I had around 30 in it = it was close to being full, but worked just fine - I use a 10 inch DO'deep' now (used to use a 12 which I don't have any longer.) I do own a 14 also but never used it yet. Guess, I will find out if it works (14) if and when I ever use it...…..
gudmund
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:47 pm

FYI : just did a 'total' briquet capacity test with my CampMaid collapsible fire-starter. The 45 briquet total given by CampMaid for a capacity is good = and possible!! A total of 40 'briquets' puts it right at the 'level' edge, + 5 more puts it just slightly mounded above the edge (with 'maybe' room for 2/3 more "carefully" placed ones) What was the real 'shock' :shock: for me was what I paid 'less' than 2 years ago for it and what I see the $$ now on Amazon - paid $25 for mine - now I see $45...……………. money = here today, gone yesterday...……….. :? BUT the best thing about this item = it collapsed is so 'compact' and easy to store for travel with the DO...……….. :thumbsup:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:02 pm

I've been poking around here a few years now (lurked in the shadows for some time) and once in a while I still stumble upon an awesome old thread like this one. Thanks for the bump, slowcowboy.

Really, is there no end to the brilliance that oozes out of Bob Henry's cranium? A walker and a satellite dish? Are you kidding me? :shock:

Stunning. Just stunning... :applause:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Previous

Return to Cast Iron