Hamdrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Hamdrop

Postby jbell.louisburg » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:51 am

ok, so I add this because it solves a problem that many may have... how to effectively turn leds into familiar wall switch type of lighting.

From china you can get PWM 12v dimmers that are incredibly efficient way to dim LED's. (I got these for less than $2 each, and will dim 8 amps)
I also have some single pole double throw switch's in decora plate style (made for projector screen up/down low voltage control)
80ohms, 500 ohms and 500 ohms are the key values (that took some trial and error)

when switch is in position 1, it shorts out the center leg and the leg with the 80 ohm resistor, effectively making it zero ohms from the center wire to the low wire.
that shuts off the light.
when switch is in position 2 (center all off) you effectively have 80 ohms and 1k on either side of the center wire, which is about 10% bright or so.
When switch is in position 3, it shorts out one of the 500 ohm resistors making it 80 ohm and 500 ohm on either side of center wire, which is about 30-40% range.

My offgrid dimmable 12v edison style bulbs don't dim linearly like a led string does with these dimmers. By the time you hit 30%, they look full bright, but are pulling less than rated power. (EDIT: I just rechecked, my edison bulbs say non-dimmable.... which is why they don't dim linearly like my led strings do.....)

SO, I have dim that is pulling 0.2 amps, (that appears 50% of rated brightness) and full bright that is pulling 0.6amps... Considering I am putting in 80ah of lifepo4 battery (that I could pull 80%, or 64ah) That means I have over 300hours of continuous lighting avail on a charge. Now obviously I will be pulling other stuff off of battery, but it's kinda a cool stat on how much lighting I could get from my little battery pack.

IMG_6075.JPG
IMG_6075.JPG (108.93 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jbell.louisburg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Finally, some warm weather.... I've been impatiently waiting to get it outside and start the thinned poly treatment.

Had to dismantle it almost completely, so I can treat all of the spruce... man it looks good.....

IMG_6085.jpg
IMG_6085.jpg (118.12 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jbell.louisburg » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:54 pm

I don't think this is gonna tow trailer very well....

I think the trailer deserves an upgrade !

IMG_6128a.jpg
IMG_6128a.jpg (233.6 KiB) Viewed 3955 times
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby coostv » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:09 pm

jbell.louisburg wrote:I don't think this is gonna tow trailer very well....

IMG_6128a.jpg
Toyota? I've had to repair that on a 4Runner for a friend of mine.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
coostv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jbell.louisburg » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:32 pm

coostv wrote:
jbell.louisburg wrote:I don't think this is gonna tow trailer very well....

IMG_6128a.jpg
Toyota? I've had to repair that on a 4Runner for a friend of mine.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yep, '98 4runner, perfect in every way except this one.... anyone in the mid west looking for a super cheap hunting / offroad 4runner -- it'll be on ebay in a week or two....

Found me an '02 third gen 4runner that is just as nice, AND doesn't have this issue. Thinking an exhaust heat shield for the frame in this area will help the '02 live longer.
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

weather

Postby jbell.louisburg » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Go home kansas, you're drunk. Snow flakes on easter? 20 degree morning of prom weekend? seriously....
How's a guy supposed to go outside and do the smelly stuff, like waterproofing and putting on the roof?

Well, I made the most of the morning running wires...

IMG_6223.JPG
IMG_6223.JPG (94.38 KiB) Viewed 3846 times
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Re: weather

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:41 pm

jbell.louisburg wrote:Go home kansas, you're drunk. Snow flakes on easter? 20 degree morning of prom weekend? seriously....
How's a guy supposed to go outside and do the smelly stuff, like waterproofing and putting on the roof?

Well, I made the most of the morning running wires...

IMG_6223.JPG

Ut oh on the weather there,, :( though, you got some of the needed wiring done.. :)
Weather here has been touch and go also lately.. storms rolling through..
So, like you, doing things (wiring) in the shop on the tear, when it's nasty outside..
Is the wiring ever done? :NC :roll:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby willrothfuss » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:20 am

Hi,

It's looking like a really unique and interesting build! I will be following your progress.

A couple of questions on materials. You refer to a "spruce blank". Is this something that comes already glued up into a sheet? If so, where did you get it? The second is the Shasta windows. I love those, especially the jalousie window. You said they were recent reissues. I did a search but can't find them. Do you have a link for those?

Thanks! Will
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson
willrothfuss
Teardrop Builder

Postby ELM » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:35 pm

willrothfuss wrote:Hi,

It's looking like a really unique and interesting build! I will be following your progress.

A couple of questions on materials. You refer to a "spruce blank". Is this something that comes already glued up into a sheet? If so, where did you get it? The second is the Shasta windows. I love those, especially the jalousie window. You said they were recent reissues. I did a search but can't find them. Do you have a link for those?

Thanks! Will

Home Depot has some. https://www.homedepot.com/s/jalousie%2520window?NCNI-5
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby jbell.louisburg » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:29 pm

willrothfuss wrote:Hi,
Thanks! Will

The 2015 shasta re-issue had some left over parts, and an RV parts reseller on ebay was selling them. (search alum frame window) He still has 2 other sizes of the shasta windows left, but the size I bought are all gone. Once they are gone, they are gone. You can't just go buy shasta windows at an RV dealer that I know.

On the spruce finger jointed panels, I bought from menards. You can get 5/8" and 5/4" thick, in either pine or spruce. Unfortunately they sell pine or spruce under the same sku, and you have to just go pick out the panels you want. I personally used 24"/30"/36" wide panels all in 72" length 5/4" thick. It's really amazing how much heavier pine is than spruce.

At the end of the day though I have roughly an R2 wall, that is solid thick, with no delam or other potential issues.
No it's not an R4 laminated wall (which with framing losses is probably about R3) But I can say I'm very happy with it.
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Hidden AC

Postby jbell.louisburg » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:46 pm

OK, so I finally found a "hidden" place for the AC that I like.
I built a "notch" in the tongue box that goes around the outside part.
The vents peek just above the cooler.
Just open the center doors (they open 180 degree to fold up tight against the cabinet)

Don't judge my tongue box/kitchen just yet, it's a work in progress...

IMG_6262.jpg
IMG_6262.jpg (104.89 KiB) Viewed 3778 times

IMG_6260.JPG
IMG_6260.JPG (104.51 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jbell.louisburg » Mon May 07, 2018 7:26 pm

ohhh, curved glass skylight....

IMG_6341.jpg
IMG_6341.jpg (113.42 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jbell.louisburg » Wed May 09, 2018 6:37 pm

ok, so the tongue box / galley is looking better.

My son just had to have something from his grandpa's farm on the trailer.
The corner boards are real shiplap that look a bit red -- are from an old turn of the century grainery.
The red is from years of grain wear.

IMG_6344.jpg
IMG_6344.jpg (110.69 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jbell.louisburg » Sun May 13, 2018 8:37 am

its time for all the safety stuff....
Combo CO/gas/smoke detector.
O2 sensor, yea, I'm excited about that... alarms at 18% O2.
and a delorme Inreach explorer.

My son was worried that in his pack, that the SOS might accidentally go off, and he'd get a search/rescue bill.
So, we fixed that. All that's needed is a T6 to open it up, and a pair of clippers to remove the nub that activates the SOS switch.

You can always use the menu to send an SOS, so this is just a safety thing.

IMG_6354.JPG
IMG_6354.JPG (152.96 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jbell.louisburg » Tue May 15, 2018 6:21 pm

IMG_6372.JPG
IMG_6372.JPG (312.01 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals