Kenskill style build in Delavan, WI (Now Cub Modern)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Kenskill style build in Delavan, WI (Now Cub Modern)

Postby breb » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:43 pm

Seems like it took a week to recover from my lumber jack weekend and this week's project on the TD was small. I made a small box out of hickory and birch ply to house the 12v port panel and AC outlet. Not a tremendous amount progress but it all
add's up and must be done. Just ordered 12v panels and could take up to a couple of week to get here. So this week looks
like some warmer temps . I actually might get some work done .
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 pm

I sure miss working on the tear daily. Have had no time to work on it since I'm back to work.

I did take a day and pick up the camper I bought. It was a one hour tow on ten year old tires. I stopped often and felt the wheels for warm bearings too. No problem. Made it home shinny side up! Backed it along side the garage at home. There it will sit till the tear is done.

I have an unexpected Friday off from work this week. Plan to spend the day working on the tear. It's time to start the rear cabinets and galley cabinets. I have certain stuff I want to pack in the tear, and will be making the required shelves/spaces to fit these things.

DSCF3708a.jpg
DSCF3708a.jpg (184.74 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:04 pm

I did get to work on the tear most of today. Ended up working on fitting the inner galley walls. So I fit the wall to the weatherstrip channel on both sides. Finished off the lower hatch seal surface too. Had to do these inner galley walls first so I can get the rear bulkhead back in place. Then I can start to work on cabinets.

From here on out I'll get a few hours here and there to work on it. Until the cold weather puts and end to it for me.

DSCF3731a.jpg
Hatch weatherstrip channel
DSCF3731a.jpg (91.65 KiB) Viewed 3661 times

DSCF3730a.jpg
Sample weatherstrip fit to channel/wall
DSCF3730a.jpg (84.66 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:55 am

A shot from the backside

DSCF3736a.jpg
DSCF3736a.jpg (103.04 KiB) Viewed 3598 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:46 pm

Finally pulled the cork. Last weekend I transferred all tooling from garage to basement. So it's official all work on TD has come to a halt. There will be some cabinet work done over winter but anything that requires the TD will have to wait for next spring. I see you made some last minute progress on galley walls . I did just get #2 12v power panels for interior so I'm laying them out for drilling . Have to bring snow thrower out and put lawn tractor away than I can put a cover over the TD. Hope you can get those extra hours in on your project . Good luck.
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:01 pm

I got a couple hours in on the tear today. Dressed warm and went for it.
Not too bad from 11am to 2pm or so. Not so cold.

Did some more fussy work. I finished the bottom portion of the hatch weather strip channel on both sides. Got it glued up. Ready to be trimmed and sanded.

Also spent time with cabinet doors. I thought that making cabinet doors from the face cut outs would make things quicker. Since the cabinet face is 5mm thick material, I've had to glue blocks to the backside of the doors.
Had to make some material depth for hinge and latch screws to hold on too. I don't know how much time or effort this method of cabinet building is saving me.

Got the last of the shelves cut for the front headboard cabinet. Now to just install them.

No snowblower out for me. I did mow the lawn today. Been a long time since I had too. Very dry summer.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby willrothfuss » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:44 am

Enjoying your build! Are you back at it? The FLW silhouette lamp shades are genius. Can't wait to see them finished and lit up.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson
willrothfuss
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sun May 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Wiilroth-Thanks!-Just now getting back at it, and happy to have the chance again.

Finally back at it!! It felt like winter would never leave. The weather has gotten nice enough to get back out in the garage. As and extra nice bonus I have also just semi retired. Only work 3 days a week now. So hope to get some more hours in the shop.

The past couple days I've got the floor to the rear upper cabinets built and installed. I made the mount brackets for the slide out A/C and they work well. Also cut out some partitions for the upper cabinets. I've also been working out where all the galley gear and shelving will go. Just finished gluing and installing the left inside galley wall.

As part of going part time at work I had to use the last of my vacation days. So I've got several more days off ahead. Looking forward to more work and progress over the coming week.

[img]
DSCF3767a.jpg
[/img]

[img]
DSCF3767a.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
DSCF3765a.jpg
DSCF3765a.jpg (113.67 KiB) Viewed 3369 times
DSCF3767a.jpg
DSCF3767a.jpg (126.04 KiB) Viewed 3369 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue May 08, 2018 2:54 pm

Working on the galley counter today. Located the largest two items and built to suit them. Cooler will be on a slide out. Also wanted easy access and secure storage for the spare tire. Next up is to layout and cut out bulkhead cabinet doors.

Lot's more shelving and dividers to build for more gear. The galley counter under cabinets will be removable. The bottom 9" of bulkhead will have a removable panel to slide a regular coil spring mattress into the cabin.

Just really enjoying a sunny breezy day with all the garage doors and windows wide open while I work.

[img]
DSCF3768a.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
DSCF3768a.jpg
DSCF3768a.jpg (84.92 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby willrothfuss » Tue May 08, 2018 8:10 pm

May I ask where you got your jalousie window for the door? Is it safety glass? What is the wall thickness it is designed for? Thanks! (You certainly are a patient builder!)
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson
willrothfuss
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mr. Lahey » Wed May 09, 2018 8:05 am

Will
I got the door windows online. They are made for a garden shed. So no safety glass. However I am going to tint them with vinyl window film. That will help in case of a break. Just not real worried about it as there are no passengers in a mobile teardrop. None of the windows in my vintage campers were safety glass either. They are made for about 13/4" wall thickness I think. I'll measure next time I'm near them. Don't have the web address handy but it something easy like shed windows .com or similar. A google search should find it easy.

Do you have a build going? Or planning to do one?

I'm out to the garage now. Going to build the cooler slide out tray. Then off to both the area dollar stores. I may use various sized plastic mesh baskets on shelves to hold all the small gear I'll be packing. Just not feeling like building drawers and so forth.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Wed May 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Glad to here you are back at it and semi congratulation on your semi retirement. I to am semi retired but my part time is frittering away and it looks more like i am going to swing this into full retirement. like what your doing and the progress your making . I to have just picked up some more birch ply for my galley bulkhead and cabinets. Your stepping ahead of me , i have to get with the program here or I'm going to fall behind. I did some winter work which was connected to the water supply. My cabinets for galley and interior coming up here are still flying by the seat of my pants , just a little bit of pencil scratching on paper. Are you finishing your counter top with anything or leaving it natural wood look?
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Wed May 09, 2018 9:05 pm

Hey breb

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the congrats on me reducing my income. Decided the time off work was more valuable than the money.

As you stated before this design as you go stuff really slows down the build. However I'm finding it does work. Spent lots of time sketching and thinking about the build. Reality is in fact different from theory. A lot of what I thought would work does not. So I've had some success just placing the things I want to store, and building to suit.

Got my cooler slide tray built today. It holds the cooler in the front and my Coleman camp stove right behind it. So the left side of galley is set and uses every inch of space pretty well.

Now I'm rethinking my water jug location today. I had hoped to have it up high and a dishpan under it. It's not working out good. So the water jug may end up under the counter top. Still not through moving stuff around and it's slowing me down.

Also realized I had forgotten my galley electrical placement and had to rethink some of the one cabinet to accommodate it. Galley will have a 110v shore power outlet, a 110 from battery/inverter outlet, and a 12v plug/USB outlet in there too. Going to cut out for and mount that stuff tomorrow.

The galley and counter top will all be natural fir plywood as you see it now. I have a leftover 3 gallon pail of floor polyurethane from a household project. That's what I used in the cabin. Just going to multi coat the galley and call it good.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Thu May 10, 2018 4:09 pm

Seems like i need a refresher on uploading photo's . Third time I've loaded this . Interesting on how we are very much doing the same parts of our build . My winter project was a carriage for my water supply AKA cooler water jug. I could not stand it vertically under counter top so the carriage is appor. 45 degress and it allows for easy exchange and clearness under counter. I had to come up with a way to seal and connect the water jug. So i cut a Derlin (nylon) plug and a pvc cap to go over spout. Still need to drill out for vent and pickup line. I did fill with water and it held nicely. Proof of concept will be in the camping mode. I know what your talking about with the electrical. As I see it in my mind I have 3 total outlets 2 interior (forward and aft) and 1 in galley , that for me would be the simple route. I have to put in bulkhead for galley next and I am thinking on a false wall for the converter panel and also act as a conduit for leads running to and from.[album][/album]154316154317154321154320154318154319
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Fri May 11, 2018 7:38 am

Nice work on the water trolley! You should start a build thread here for your camper. You do nice work and I for one would like to see it.

Speaking of galley bulkheads that's today's project for me. Original plan was to have the lower 9" of bulkhead to be a removable panel. After looking at it while doing other things I decided to build the galley as a removable cabinet. So everything from the counter top down can be unscrewed and removed rather easily. I'll be able to slide a regular mattress in the cabin that would not go in the doors.

Time to go hit it and make some sawdust.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals