FoamStream , the restoration … a lesson learned .

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

FoamStream , the restoration … a lesson learned .

Postby GPW » Thu May 31, 2018 9:16 am

Finally got around to putting the canvas tape over the drip edges and ant holes … Not difficult to do and it “should “ keep the water running off the trailer to the ground …
However while feeling around underneath , we noticed water had already gotten in the ant holes and naturally that made my OSB floor soft … :o :shock: :frightened: So now we’re going to have to go in and remove the old floor and put in a completely new one … :NC Or at least do some serious repairs …

And you might ask , how did this happen … Well I was in such a rush to build the trailer in the first place , I didn’t apply "the Mix" as I’ve suggested so many times to others … Duh !!! What a Dummy !!! I blame myself !!! :DOH2:

This could get Interesting :oops: … and other than the flooring , the trailer ( cabin ) is still in fine shape …
Attachments
DSCN1186.jpg
DSCN1186.jpg (123.91 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
DSCN1185.jpg
DSCN1185.jpg (154.59 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: FoamStream , the restoration … a lesson learned .

Postby GPW » Thu May 31, 2018 9:18 am

Or we could just build a NEW trailer … :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 31, 2018 1:11 pm

Further thought on the subject is to just unbolt the whole thing from the trailer … slide the cabin off the side and filp it over sideways onto some moving blankets I could place in the yard … Probably the easiest way to work on it …And since we’re forced to change out most or all the floor …there will be some changes …including real wheel wells and a dropped (raised ) axle for a lower profile , bigger tires … and likely a “Board Floor” … I’m done with plywood and all the rest , it just doesn’t work down here in our most HUMID climate … :o Our Very old All Steel cargo trailer has an unpainted wood board floor with some cheap linoleum over it and it’s just fine , no problems … and It’s Real Old now … One thing , the metal sides end below the floor line so water never comes near the floor unless splashed there on the road …( drip edges do work , when there’s no Ant holes … :duh: )
Being a Foamie , the whole cabin is pretty Light and a few guys could lift it …The Homemade trailer is the heavy part here… :o ( but it was FREE!!! . and that’s a Priority importance :lol: )

Or , with the trailer all fine and rigged … we could just make that new build we’ve been thinking about …pop it right on . Probably with less effort than restoring this one … Tough call eh ? … What would youse guys do ???

Ps. It is a chance to build one that doesn’t look like all the other Horse trailers in the neighborhood … :R :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:56 pm

Use marine plywood for the new floor and soak it with the mix.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu May 31, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks PM !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:12 pm

I don't know how the wall to floor joint was made but on mine I could just use a sawzall and cut off the floor flush with the wall. You'd have to figure out how to lift the top off the now cut free floor and on to the new floor.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu May 31, 2018 6:43 pm

Ant holes? Were there ants eating into the OSB?

(I wish we could put OSB to bed for trailer builds.)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu May 31, 2018 7:45 pm

I would replace it with a sandwich floor sealed with the mix and lower the weight even more and with foam core your water problems dissolve.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:53 am

Thanks Guys !! Here’s some pics on how the frame is mounted to the floor .. We may be able to do some prying of the lower plate … but like PM says , a sawzall would be the ticket …

Tony , they ate little holes in the canvas ( through two layers of 18 oz. canvas , paint and all) right above the floor so they could nest inside ( escape the flooding , grrr !!!) , the water leaked in and spread all along the sides … Confirming the old RV observation , “ one leak can ruin a whole traier” … Had I done what I told everybody else what to do ( the Mix) I don’t think we’d be having this problem … :oops:

Steve, aside from not using the mix on the floor ( my bad ) the idea of OSB was a foolish one ( hindsight) … First Plywood , then OSB ...Two strikes … :duh: A sandwich floor sounds interesting , but I’m going to try a Board floor this time , like on my Old Cargo trailer … the boards are still fine .. some 25+ years old according to the previous owner...) Old timers used boards too …
But maybe a Board sandwich ??? :thinking: Whatever we use we’ll SURELY use the Mix on it … :thumbsup:
Attachments
DSCF0050x.JPG
DSCF0050x.JPG (247.52 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0009.JPG (164.24 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:58 pm

I'd be worried about expansion and contraction of solid wood boards. I still think that marine ply (sandwiched or not) is the way to go. Expensive yes, but you should never have to replace it.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Are your sills just screwed into the floor or are they glued too?

I had to separate my body from the floor and I used this tool https://www.harborfreight.com/oscillati ... 62279.html . I used this blade https://www.harborfreight.com/3-12-in-H ... 61817.html . Worked great!
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:49 pm

I take 1x4 around the outer perimeter and 1x2 cross members filled with 3/4" foam. Use tightbond wood to wood and use Luan on top and bottom. Get caulk gun tube of E6000 from Amazon and glue foam to Luan with it and tightbond to glue 1xs to Luan. Little over inch thick light and strong. Mix it and never worry about it again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:41 am

Well for one thing , I’d need 3 sheets of marine ply and that would be too expensive for a four year old Foamie that’s never been used …

Sorry , I just don’t trust any plywood anymore , or most sheet goods … Too many failures over the years … I do think if we had used the Mix like I was SUPPOSED to , there wouldn’t be a problem … :duh: It’s ALL my fault !!!

The bottom plate /sill is screwed and glued to the floor , but given the softened state of the edges :o , I don’t think it would take much to separate it from the cabin .. Just that little bit of leakage took out pretty much most of the floor edges , the center area is still fine …
I just got one of those oscillating tools from HF , and a plunge blade, but I can get a Moon blade too…

At my age , it may be easier just to make a new cabin … We’ve learned So much over the years from everybody , maybe we can build it Right this time … And now that we no longer have any Pets , we don’t need a lot of extra room …and with the wife’s bad back, she could use a lower entry door … The FoamStream has worked well these past years , and it really wasn’t expensive to build that cabin , so maybe it’s time to move on to another design … We have all the other internal goodies already so that’s a start . Starting over should be pretty easy … with something like the lower trailers we’ve thought about for a long time … It’s a tough call … Fix or replace … ??? I don’t know !!! Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:00 am

Here’s a cross section drawing of what we have … the orange indicates the glued area...
Attachments
FS X section.png
FS X section.png (54.04 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 am

Looks like all we have to do is remove the drip edges , cut the canvas at the outside foam /floor join , and remove the rest with a spoon and saw … Just feeling around underneath , it’s pretty soggy :R Doesn’t look “that" difficult (?) :NC Famous last words … :lol:
Fortunately the cross members should support the cabin while the floor is taken away … we think ?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies