questions about finding base trailer to build on

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

questions about finding base trailer to build on

Postby crazycuda » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:41 am

I have been lurking around for some time and I think I want to start looking for a trailer to base my build on (looking at building a more square style tear with roughly a queen mattress). The Harbor Freight trailer seems great as a base to build on but the small wheels/tires is something I would like different. I would like a minimum of 15" wheels on the trailer. I am no stranger to working with tubing and welding but I am wondering if the used trailer market is the best place to look. any suggestions on what to look at and what to avoid in terms of trailers on the used market.

Thanks
crazycuda
Teardrop Builder

Re: questions about finding base trailer to build on

Postby Ottsville » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:28 am

Most small utility trailers(small teardrop size) that come up used don't have brakes so you would (possibly) be adding them. The axle may or may not have the break mounting plates.

If you are comfortable with your skills, I would consider building your own. You'll get exactly what you want. Axles aren't that expensive and your suspension can be designed to your trailer weight.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby crazycuda » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:39 am

in terms of suspension do a lot of builders use leaf spring setups or are there more using torsion style axles?
crazycuda
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:05 am

crazycuda wrote:in terms of suspension do a lot of builders use leaf spring setups or are there more using torsion style axles?

Both are quite common, especially if you roll your own.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:55 am

My view: If your build your own, registering may or may not be a difficult challenge depending on where you live. Probably least expensive but most time consuming. Buying a HF or NT trailer and changing axles, suspension, wheels, tires, and fenders and adding brakes is likely the quickest path. The other choice is to find a trailer manufacturer - lots of small businesses - and have then build exactly what you want. Very thrifty of your time, but probably most expensive.

FWIW I am on the NT 5X8 steel trailer route, using stock axel et al to begin with, and allowing that I might upgrade to 14" (or 15"?) wheels with all new axle and suspension etc. after some trips.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:51 am

I am the king of cheap and have found Craigslist and local yard sale sites littered with unloved and unwanted trailer for oh so cheap.
My last 3 tiny trailer finds totaled $250.00 That's about 80 something apiece.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Billinthedesert » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Bob, you are inflaming the citizenry with this reckless talk. I've actually been watching my local CL and have seen very little. Leaning toward the Northern Tool 5X8 just to "get her started," but living on SS makes your post very, very interesting ...

:lol:
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:55 am

I asked around the neighborhood and work, I've been given three old pop up trailers for free so far
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby dmdc411 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:01 pm

After purchasing a Northern Tool no floor landscape trailer, hiring a welder to add the diagonals for the tongue. He told me he would build me a complete frame for about half what I had into the first. So, that leaves the registration issue. I have a unused reg for a homebuilt pickup trailer I scrapped. Without it, it would be a pain in Minn. So I think the $250 trailer from craigslist is the way to go. With a title of course! Building it the way you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets