Now that’s a Battery!

Anything electric, AC or DC

Now that’s a Battery!

Postby Ned B » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:29 pm

Saw this on the Chevy Volt Owner’s Facebook page:

He got it out of a salvage yard... 16kw of juice... with controller , plans are either building a battery storage backup for off grid, or a start of one heck of a camper electric system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Now that’s a Battery!

Postby pfennigcat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:56 am

I've kinda got one of those..... still in my tow vehicle luckily, wouldn't want it to come out!!! I posted about my experiences (and plan to continue doing so) in this thread: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=70360

Having a big battery seems to just make so much sense, even though I'm not really leveraging it for the TD yet!
pfennigcat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MtnDon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:27 pm

The Chevy Volt battery packs are popular among the DIY off grid folks. Certain years are better than others as they can be broken down into 24 volt modules. 24 volt systems are popular off grid. Later year Volts have higher voltage modules which makes them harder to use. The modules from Teslas are used by some off grid folks too.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:54 pm

For a while I was investigating what it would take to put regenerative braking on my trailer - it turns out that it would not be really feasible. I did learn though that apparently many transport companies do this, and even have power assist from the batteries in the trailer to help reduce the load on the tow vehicle when going up difficult inclines.

Pretty cool stuff. Some day your tow limit might have an Asterisk to note that power trailers have additional weight allowances, assuming that the technology becomes more feasible on a small scale.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Postby AzAv8r » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:22 pm

I expect we are not far from:
- hybrid motor homes, where the generator and batteries function both for on-road and at-site use, and
- hybrid trailers, where a hybrid drive system reduces the load on the tow vehicle AND provides power at-site as above.

Not at all a significant technical stretch from where we are today. Now, in my phrase above the interpretation of "far" is left to the reader. Trivial and could be immediate, if someone cared. Likely, I'd say 3-5 years for introduction, 7-12 years for commonplace, and 12-20 years for ubiquitous. Of course, I can load that up with caveats...
AzAv8r
Teardrop Builder

Postby cg_ops » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Where is a good resource to find used EV batteries? Seems like a better option than an army of deep cycle marine batteries, no?
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Return to Electrical Secrets