Got the Power Supply

Anything electric, AC or DC

Got the Power Supply

Postby lee » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:55 pm

Mike : I could never get a reply from my email or an answer from the message I left them when I called the company you suggested for the converter. I found another place. A place in Louisana. Valco-Tronics, Inc. I ordered it the 2nd and I receive it today the 4th. Very quick service. The price was $69.00 plus shipping, which I think is a better price than the place you used. Its a 20 Amp.
lee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:18 pm

Hey Lee,

Did you get the same model I have? If so, you did really great on the price!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Powe Supply

Postby lee » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:28 pm

Yes, I believe its the same one. I carried it outside so I don't have it in here to check. My husband said its the same one.
lee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:32 pm

Does it look like this?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

power supply

Postby lee » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:06 pm

Yes, its the exact same one.
lee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:20 pm

Kewl!

Don't go blowing it up now... :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Don't even think that!

Postby lee » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:33 pm

My husband and I went out to work on the trailer today and notice the dog had got to the wires . Chewed them up at the ends and tore the labels off-- Like ground and hot. We will have to try to figure it out. Lee
lee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:56 am

A bit off topic: I have an x-power 400watt unit. It warns against having any 2 functions in used at the same time (this simple sentence replaced about 2 pages of warnings). ie, don't charge and use 12 v power at same time. Don't use 115v inverter and 12v and charge at same time.

Anyway, I'm not sure if these are like all the warning labels on a ladder.

At night, I have charged the xpower from 115v while using 12v to light a light in the tear.

Doea anyone have any idea why I can't charge and use the battery at the same time.? Cars do it all the time.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Woody » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:19 am

I will bet that the charger unit is a trickle style (low power output) charger and can not do both without serious overheating and or serious damage to itself, remember it only a trickle charger not a POWER SUPPLY. you are dependant on the battery to be the power supply. You are looking at a lot lower charge power rates than you would find in a car charging system Most car system run at 65 -100 amps plus and the battery is primarily used for starting the motor. Look at the output voltage number on the X-power unit for charging, I'll bet they are nominal at best on the charge side
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:45 am

That is probably correct as they told me to charge it for 1.5 days before using it... and they said that using the cig. lighter in the vehicle would charge it in 3 hours.

I don't know why it would overheat, but I can understand why the input from the 115v transformer could not keep up with the draw.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Woody » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:18 pm

It is a design function of the output side of the charging unit itself to the battery. If it were a 1.5 amp trickle charger, it might be less, and you are pulling more amps than that the charger could produce it would never charge the battery due to the deficit. It would constantly be charging the battery due it sensing the drop in power. It would in turn never shut down until it overheated and with time that would cause the charger unit to breakdown and be useless. Just remember it is designed as a charger for maintaining battery in a charged state for periodic use not for continious use as a primary or secondary power supply. The battery in this case is the primary power supplier. The cigarette lighter charging is done at alot higher amp rate than the built in charger probally is capable of, that is why it takes 3 hours. The main advantage of slow rate chargers is the increase longevity of the battery for maintaining them in a near/fully charged rate. Hope this helps without getting to technical.
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:06 pm

Woody, sounds right to me..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to Electrical Secrets