Fiberglass Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Fiberglass Teardrop

Postby Trix25 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:54 am

Hello everyone and welcome to my fibreglass teardrop trailer build.

I am hoping that this thread can share my trials and tribulations of making this teardrop trailer with this great forum and perhaps along the way get some needed help/suggestions to making this teardrop trailer better!

If you want to learn more about me and the background information about this build and why I elected to go with fibreglass, you can quickly refer to my introductory welcome post.

A bit about this build.
1. The teardrop currently is a 1 piece fibreglass shell
2. It is currently sitting on a custom made steel trailer with leaf spring suspension.
3. The intent behind this build is to stay firm behind the KISS acronym (Keep it simple, stupid) so that we can get this project completed.
4. Goals:
a) Is to keep it within a TIGHT budget, so there won't be any timbren axle-less suspension, fancy cabinetry, offroad trailer hitch, etc.
b) Create a durable long lasting, no hassle teardrop trailer...if *touchwood* anything was to happen create something easy to fix/patch (fibreglass)
c) Keep it LIGHT and under 1000lbs so that it is towable with most vehicle.
5. Wish List:
a) Solar Panel
b) Roof Rack
c) Roof top tent
d) Porti Potty
e) Roof awning
f)
6. What is currently planned (this is consistently changing)
a) We were going to do full interior fibreglass, but decided to complete the rest of the interior and galley cabinets in wood. Main reason for this choice is: a) costing b) better customization on future build c) I personally wanted to learn more about cabinetry using wood
b) Electrical will be on 12v. 1x Intake/Exhaust Fan, 2x Porch light, 2x interior light, 1x galley light, 1x voltmeter with usb and cigarette plug
c) Interior will be blasted with lizard skin and covered with marine grade liner.
7. Questions that I have
a) Would you recommend an external side air vent along with the fan that we have for better air flow for condensation?
b) Sink in the galley, do you think it is REQUIRED?
c) Anyone has any galley and interior cabinets layout ideas?
d) Am I missing anything else MAJOR?

That's all for now!
Last edited by Trix25 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trix25
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Fiberglass Teardrop

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:33 am

a) Would you recommend an external side air vent along with the fan that we have for better air flow for condensation?

Will your doors have windows that open?
If not, then I'd recommend some type of other vents to help with circulation.
The extra vents would also be helpful in keeping you alive, if you happen to get cold and close the top vent all the way..
See the following posts:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67008&p=1232213&hilit=can+kill+you#p1232213
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=40667
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:45 am

As David pointed out, it could be life threatening to close up a teardrop and go to sleep.

My first teardrop was a commercial built Hunter ––Little Guy later bought them out to adopt their Silver Streak line. It had a 4" computer fan, two 4" dryer vents, and two screen windows. It wasn't enough ventilation above 70º. I'm not talking oxygen, it's the moisture two (sleeping) bodies put out.

You and your partner will expel about two cups of water a night. If you don't have good air movement––and no insulation––it'll condense on the interior without good air flow.

With our current 'drop ––with insulated walls and ceiling–– we'll open our windows about 3" and crack the fan vent another 4" or more. And that's on a night that can easily dip down to 50º. Our windows are 24" wide.

Teardrops need lots of ventilation.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Trix25 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks Tony and David for your feedback and links. Sorry to mention yes, the teardrop will have 2 RV sliding window. I have yet to decide if it will be on the door or on the body.

Any recommendation to good side vents that are good in rainy conditions? I do quite like the vent from clcboats.
https://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/new/teardrop-camper-mushroom-vents.html
Image anyone have any other suggestions?

Regards,
Pat
Trix25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby saywhatthat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:54 pm

You will need insulation
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
The 300 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:47 pm

Looks great!
Tell us more about the fiberglass shell. Did you make molds for the parts? How thick was the lay up? Any additional structure?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Trix25 wrote:Any recommendation to good side vents that are good in rainy conditions? I do quite like the vent from clcboats.
https://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/new/teardrop-camper-mushroom-vents.html
Image anyone have any other suggestions?

Regards,
Pat

Pat, the windows will help a great deal with circulation and the condensation Tony brought up.. I did take a look at the clc vents, very nice design.. they can be used when it's raining and windows not open... Though, I specially like that they can be closed when traveling.. (Everyone just needs to remember they have to be open when camping).. I will add these to my list for our camper later. Thanks for the link, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:02 pm

And BTW, that's a sweet project you are taking on. How many molds?

:thumbsup:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:24 pm

tony.latham wrote:And BTW, that's a sweet project you are taking on. How many molds?

T

Have to agree with Tony here.. :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:57 pm

Whenever I see stuff like this I kind of feel like I should just set mine on fire. Awesome job.. wish I had that kind of skill.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Trix25 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:15 am

saywhatthat wrote:You will need insulation

Hello saywhatthat thanks for your suggestion. Infact, this has been a large part of my headache. I've searched a lot about insulation especially for fiberglass rvs and had a number of mixed reviews/thoughts. I think after all my research we will settle on the insulation from Prodex they are used on Oliver Travel trailers and with large success and positive reviews.
Trix25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Trix25 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:17 am

Pmullen503 wrote:Looks great!
Tell us more about the fiberglass shell. Did you make molds for the parts? How thick was the lay up? Any additional structure?

Hello Pmullen503 and thanks for viewing the build thread. Great question. they are 1/4 inched on the outside and the sides are 3/4 thick.
Trix25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Trix25 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:27 am

tony.latham wrote:And BTW, that's a sweet project you are taking on. How many molds?

T

thanks we did that as one piece but the molds are in 3 pieces. In fact, I have been getting a lot of inquiries about the molds and if there are enough interest we may provide the bare shell, doors and galley for other DIYers (this is if you guys are willing to pick up in Canada :thinking: ), advantage may be that you would have the exterior done with only the interior left to your own customization.

NorthEGPhoto wrote:Whenever I see stuff like this I kind of feel like I should just set mine on fire. Awesome job.. wish I had that kind of skill.

thanks NorthEGPhoto for your kind words. This too is a learning experience for me so I am still trying to learn as much as I can. The more research I am doing the more I am going above my budget. I wish our Canadian currency wasn't so low as a lot of my parts now are coming from the states. :(

***Updated my question list:
b) Sink in the galley, do you guys think it is REQUIRED or necessary? thoughts and opinions/options?
c) anyone have any suggestion for simple galley and interior layout that they like? I am leaning towards a mixed version similar to the vestibule trailer and the high camp trailer
Trix25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ottsville » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:34 am

That is a super slick project! Very nicely done! I think you could definitely sell a few of those shells. Are the fenders separate or part of the same mold of the shell?
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:35 am

b) Sink in the galley. (( This goes back and forth depending on who you talk to. ))

Personally, on ours I scrapped the sink idea. Didn't want to lose precious storage space. (Counter space the sink took up and the plumbing, water heater and water tanks) We will be using a simple fold up table and a dish pan with either bottled water or a hose hookup when available.. (heating the water on the camp stove) all of which can be carried in the TV. or laid on the bed when traveling..

Then my wife found the following online, so it may be another simple option..

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Folding-Portable/dp/B00CB57CH6
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals