Instant Pot?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Instant Pot?

Postby tearhead » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:56 pm

Just curious if anyone has made an instant pot part of their galley. I don't have one but am thinking of getting a 3-quart.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Instant Pot?

Postby KennethW » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:10 pm

I would also like to know. My question would be if 6 quart would work good with 450 watts of solar and a 1000 watt inverter. Would it drain the battery ? I need the battery for Cpap at night.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jen123 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:56 pm

Instead of an instant pot, consider a presto stainless steel pressure cooker paired with an induction burner. The burner has a timer function, so while it is not entirely set it and forget it, it mostly is.

A pressure cooker plus an induction acts like an instant pot, but the pressure cooker will never break and can be used as just a pot. The induction burner can be used for boiling, broiling, burning, etc.

The induction can be run off of solar. I have not yet, but I will be. We bring our pressure cooker, induction burner, and butane burner on every camping trip.

Ribs were awesome started in the pressure cooker and then finished on the grill.
Jen123
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KennethW » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:11 am

Yes, Your induction burner and pressure cooker would last longer. I was thinking Instant pot because of the set it and forget it. When traveling. I could gas up and start the cooker drive for a time and have a good hot meal ready for me when I stop for the night. High power use when the sun is shining so I don't depleted the battery that I need for Cpap's at night.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby crttaz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:46 am

Instant Pot wouldn't be used while driving because it cooks faster thanks to the pressure. That said I'll never own one. Even with all the pressure released it is still dangerous due to super heated liquid. The same thing that can happen when you microwave water in a cup for coffee.

The easy fix, jiggle/shake the Instant Pot before removing the lid. I've seen a test where the super heated liquid instantly re-pressurized the Instant Pot, popping the indicator back up on the lid. Danger averted.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby tearhead » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Oh, yes, cooking while driving seems like a very bad idea to me. I did go ahead and get the Instant Pot. I think it will be great in the teardrop. It has a saute function, so could be a hot pot or cooking pot, is a slow cooker, and a pressure cooker. It makes amazing hard boiled eggs. There's a bit of a learning curve, but I think it will be great. :applause:
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm just beginning to use an Instant Pot at home.

A thermal vacuum cooker may be more useful for use in a teardrop galley. Before buying an Instant Pot I bought a Saratoga Jacks 5.5 liter Stainless Steel Thermal Cooker which is more affordable than a true vacuum cooker. With it you let food come to an initial boil, then close up the cooker and let your food slow cook without any additional heat source for up to 8 hours. It works well with a propane camp stove. With it you can safely transport food in your vehicle while it slow cooks.

Here's a previous Thermal Vacuum Cooker? discussion at tnttt.

Videos showing how to use a thermal cooker:

Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Gidget » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:01 pm

I have been using an insta pot for years. I plan on adding one to my galley. I do think people need to remember that it is a pressure cooker, just a lot more safety features then my moms old one, but still dangerous. Just like the oven or a gas grill, really anything that creates heat to cook.

More to the original question, I hooked one up to my goal zero yeti and cooked no problem with it. Didn't even use 10 percent of my battery to make a meal that came to pressure and cooked 20 minutes. Used far less power then any of my other electrical devices I have tired. I am so excited to take it on my maiden voyage of my foamie that is half built. (Dang being pregnant and raising a baby in the middle of the bulid).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Gidget
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Lady Teardroppers