HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION

Postby Tommy B » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:01 am

Hey , I may have to install a real step at the door now. No doubt about it. Its already tuff stepping up now. Maybe Ferggies has something they can weld on that's not to expensive. Don ant suggestions? I will call them and ask. What did you do Don. I cant remember. About the step.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:09 am

I need to add a permanent RV fold up step now that I also have clearance for it. Right now I am still using the same old portable aluminum step. It works fine... just need to be careful coming out.

I will drill into the frame and bolt on. I'd rather not weld it on in case it ever needs to be replaced.

That is one of my next projects in the never ending build. :-)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:39 am

flboy wrote:I need to add a permanent RV fold up step now that I also have clearance for it. Right now I am still using the same old portable aluminum step. It works fine... just need to be careful coming out.

I will drill into the frame and bolt on. I'd rather not weld it on in case it ever needs to be replaced.

That is one of my next projects in the never ending build. :-)

Yes, well I have done one good face plant already when that portable step flipped on me!. I will do this step/axle flip at the same time. Amazon had a single step for 57 bucks or so. It was a bolt on. Good advice on that verses the weld. If the brackets on the step line up with the trailer frame rails that would be easy...but I bet they don't! :lol: Anyway let you know what I decide. Thanks for the reply.

If Collin ever brings my bike back I will return your front tire. He was on vacation.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:16 am

If you need me to go get your bike for you, let me know. I can throw on my small trailer and go get it. You can also use my trailer if you like. The trailer just makes it so much easier to load and unload... and since I have it, may as well use it.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:25 am

flboy wrote:If you need me to go get your bike for you, let me know. I can throw on my small trailer and go get it. You can also use my trailer if you like. The trailer just makes it so much easier to load and unload... and since I have it, may as well use it.

OK! Thank you. It may come to that. Hopefully I could pick up the CT at ferggies Wednesday after work and scoot on over to ACS right around the corner and pick up the KTM. Kinda reunite them both again. :D Load the bike up in the new lift, see how the ramp does.

Hey on that door step. Ferrgies did not want to get involved. Said go to a welding shop. That STEP JOB is more complex than I thought for several reasons. I will have to wait a bit and see just how high this will be. A two step or one step, fold out, slide out, steel, aluminum...on it gooooesssssssss
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:29 am

Tommy B wrote:
Good advice on that verses the weld. If the brackets on the step line up with the trailer frame rails that would be easy...but I bet they don't! Anyway let you know what I decide. Thanks for the reply.

The step may not line up. If mine does not, I will weld or bolt on a bracket of some sort to adapt so that I can bolt it up. I just do not want to weld on the step. I can see myself leaving it down and driving off only to have it ripped off or mangled by a tree stump or something. :-)

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:40 am

TommyB & flboy, Howdy;

Just a "this is what I do", for ya to consider for when you do finally get your steps.

I use one of those black 12" rubber bungis to keep the steps of my RV in the 'up'
position when I travel. had one bounce out into deployed position once, and that
was on paved highways.
Accomplishes 2 things, one you remember to fold them up and two they stay where
ya puts'em. ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:05 am

If y'all can't find the "right step" for your trailer and need one you can modify and chop up to meet your needs, this may work for you.
Its not a trailer step, but I can see some potential here. And the price is right...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerbuilt-Fol ... 1438.l2649

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:41 am

Hank , Mcdave, yes those suggestions give me and idea or two :thinking:

Thanks this will be fun to fab/ :D
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:25 am

Don, anybody really.

Ferrggies called about the axle flip. I have a drop down axle they said and they don't USUALLY flip those for various reasons. Camphor issues maybe on tires. To just place the leaf springs on top the axle will do nothing really. SOOOO, we decided to flip the axle up and that will give around 10 INCHES maybe a little more! He did not think it would cause stability problems. Keep you up dated. Hope like HELL the ramp does not drop too low! :thinking: :thinking: :? :?

Hope this is not a bad move but I have to try, Scraped bottom on the drive way edge this am pulling out. No choice. :worship:
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:42 am

They called and said its done. Said it looks like a 4x4 now! 10+ inches easy. Pick up after work. Hope it all works out.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Tommy... nooo

The lift is 4 inches which is the stackup of the axle diameter and a new perch they weld on top. Do not want to turn a drop axle 180 deg..

Is there someone different there? 10 inches makes no sense. The drop axle does not flip... just mounted underneath the leaf spring with new perches welded on top side of axle.. should not rotate axle with drop turned upside down to be a lift... as said... potentially issues with that if there is a camber bend. Folks do do it however. You will know if it eats the tires off. It does also create a geometry change due to significant lift, so beware of hitch height, new tow dynamics, and etc..

"Flipping the axle" is a term associated because on a straight axle, you do just flip it upside down and use the existing perch and the underside of the leaf spring. That is a problem also if there is a slight camber bend so new perches welded on opposite side is ussually a good idea even on a a straight axle. On a drop axle, same term, but actually do not flip because of the drop offset, but put perches on the other side of axle and move under the leaf. Not sure why they are confused given that is thier business.

Placing leafs on top of axles gives you the lift of 1/2 the axle diameter and the height of new perches. Should be 3 to 4 inches. If you wanted more for whatever reason, then they get longer U bolts and add blocks or replace the entire axle with a straight axle which takes out the drop altogether, but the 4 inches is all you should need. If you got 10 inches which probably looks odd, I am assumming they flipped the drop axle and moved it under the leaf spring on the existing perches... so you got 2X the drop, plus 1/2 axle diameter as a lift.

They did mine by putting axle underneath leaf springs and adding new perches with my drop axle which should not affect the camber bend. This cannot be the same folks that did mine at Fergusons.

I unwittingly ordered my trailer with the more expensive drop axles at salesman's advice (they are preferred supposedly to keep entry height down).. but I did not realize how much offroad clearance was given up for tanks and etc. underneth. If I had it to do over again, I would get straight axles. I "flipped" mine as I did for needed clearance of the tanks and etc. , but the axle height below the camper is still lower than a straight axle would be for same trailer height. I just do not want to spend the $$ on new axles right now. If I do later, it will be to upgrade to 5,000 lb axles.

Last edited by flboy on Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:39 pm

OMG, Just saw your post. Too late as it is done. I don't know what to think. Holy Jesus this is high. :shock:

Am I ok Should I reverse this? :frightened: Seriously??
Attachments
20180912_164955 (Custom).jpg
20180912_164955 (Custom).jpg (170.13 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
20180912_165446 (Custom).jpg
20180912_165446 (Custom).jpg (134.63 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
20180912_165428 (Custom).jpg
20180912_165428 (Custom).jpg (150.41 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Holy cow... it is high but I kinda like it. Definity better for offroad. He did leave it on top of springs so not as high as I thought it was going to be, so that is better. May have issues with camber bend and wear tires under load, but if no camber bend in your axle, probably fine? I am not an expert so maybe someone else can chime in. I only know what I read and researched before I had mine flipped as I did. I was worried about camber bend being reversed and it being too high and changing tow dynamics too much. My trailer is taller anyhow, so I told them how I wanted it done.

I did get a 4 inches lift for the trailer body out of my "flip"and not change the axle rotation which could affect camber position aand tire wear. That was what I was aiming for.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:37 pm

TommyB, Howdy;

So, you be steppin' inna tall cotton now :) .
You might be looking for a 3 step to get your butt in and outta there now.
How's the ramp workin' for ya? Perhaps some rollers and allow the trailer
to "float" ie. front up an down w/o being hitched but with tire chocks in place :thinking:
to keep from getting a high bottom.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions