Hatch Latch?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Hatch Latch?

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:56 am

I figured I should ask here as my last latches didn't work out. I'm having difficulty finding a latch that will work for my hatch. It is a full size 4x4 square back that opens up. The latches on there now are flimsy over center latches for a case lid and too small. I'd like the latch to hold the hatch firmly against the trailer to keep movement down on rough highways. Any ideas are considered helpful.

Thanks,

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Re: Hatch Latch?

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:29 pm

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Zoom in on the picture to see mine. One on each side of the hatch. They are sturdy and you can adjust the tension. I got them at a hardware warehouse chain we have here in Australia called Bunnings. Image

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks for the Perco link SC. Some nice latches there.
Edgeau, I've seen over center latches like yours on Amazon. I have a difficult time visualizing the size. Some seem very small but I am thinking of going that route.
Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:24 pm

Tony has a nice latch he was using from McMaster, I can't find it right now. Maybe he will chime in.
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby working on it » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:15 am

Tomterrific wrote:I figured I should ask here as my last latches didn't work out. I'm having difficulty finding a latch that will work for my hatch. It is a full size 4x4 square back that opens up. The latches on there now are flimsy over center latches for a case lid and too small. I'd like the latch to hold the hatch firmly against the trailer to keep movement down on rough highways....
  • My 4x8 squareback TTT has a completely vertical, flat, 3/4" plywood hatch door (49.25" high x 48" wide) hanging from 3 gate hinges. As originally installed, there was a ever-so-slight gap between it and the edges of the sidewalls, roof, and the end of the trailer frame, and I used a small bulb seal (1/4") to seal that perimeter interface. The hatch was held closed by two Masterlock stainless flexible hasps, with padlocks attached. That worked fine for a couple of years, with the sturdy hinges preventing any lateral movement, and the hasps required some effort to compress the seal, and further insured a close-fit.
  • But later on, the hatch showed signs of slight warpage (<1/8") near the bottom, since there was no closure device near that area (the hinges at the top, and hasps located about 18" from the bottom, didn't exert enough pressure to hold the unsecured bottom snug against the seal). I fixed that problem with small right-angle stainless draw-latches added near the bottom of the hatch door.
  • right-angle LOCKING latch.JPG
    THE AD DESCRIPTION IS WRONG; THE LATCH LOCKS, AND HOLDS TIGHT UNTIL THE RELEASE PIN IS USED
    right-angle LOCKING latch.JPG (92.12 KiB) Viewed 924 times
  • A few years later on, I installed another set of the right-angle latches, as described in another thread...
    working on it wrote:Mod # 2) After 6.5 years, my solid 3/4" plywood hatch is starting to show ever-so-slight signs of warpage, not really noticeable, but leaving gaps sealing it up. I started out with only a set of manual flexible hasps holding it shut, then added two right-angle draw-latches at the bottom sides a couple of years later. Now, four years further on, I added two more draw-latches (the same as the other ones) 16" from the top of the hatch. Now, there are no gaps when closed.
  • third latch added to hold hatch tight.jpg
    third latch added to hold hatch tight.jpg (142.11 KiB) Viewed 924 times
  • In retrospect, I should've never left a gap between hatch and the body of the trailer, and perhaps used used more equally-spaced draw latches (3 on each side) from the beginning, but I knew that the huge flat door would eventually need some attention eventually, so it was no big deal to retrofit it, later. As we all know, teardrops (and squareback TTT's) are never finished, but a work in progress....
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:31 am

KTM_Guy wrote:Tony has a nice latch he was using from McMaster, I can't find it right now. Maybe he will chime in.

These work great for this style of hatch: https://www.mcmaster.com/latches

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion