Slipper Spring Slipped Out

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Slipper Spring Slipped Out

Postby Stealth TDI » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Hello,

I hope I've chosen an appropriate place to post this. Is this why they're called "slipper springs?"

I have no idea how long it's been like this. I heard some squeaking over bumps today and found it when I got home. I don't think the retainer is broken. I'll know for sure when I get the wheel off. It looks like it just slipped out. Has anyone ever seen this?

A few details: This is a 500# slipper spring, downgraded from the original 1000# spring for a softer ride. Of course, that limits the trailer capacity to 1000#. I must admit that I've overloaded by 200# recently. Might this have caused the spring to bind under load and then pop-out violently the first time the trailer hit a bump while empty? I appreciate your assessment.

Thanks!

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Slipper Spring Slipped Out

Postby KennethW » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:57 pm

Maybe the combination of light spring, un-sprung weight(bigger tires) and a bigger sized pothole.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tigris99 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:39 pm

this is why I hate slipper springs. Very likely what was said above, bounced it hard and it popped out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Stealth TDI » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:38 am

Thanks for the input! I hadn't considered my larger wheels/tires as part of the problem. Since I need to practically remove the spring to get it reseated anyway, I may put my factory springs back into service. I've been loading the trailer a bit for a construction project, plus the thicker leafs may be more inclined to stay put. Here's the difference between the 1000# and 500# slippers:

I think the 1000-pounder's thicker "tongue" on the slipper side won't be as eager to slip out.
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby swoody126 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:46 am

the increase in UNSPRUNG WEIGHT(larger wheels n tires) can add to the issue created w/ the lighter springs

leaf springs work BOTH WAYS... up n down

when bounced hard the rebound of the softer spring launches the axle assembly downward

the arch of the softer spring increases thus shortening the effective length of the leaf allowing the spring to escape it's keeper

it aint rocket surgery just simple physics

this has happened to me when i had removed a couple leaves to soften a ride and i had to put those leaves back in

going from thicker to thinner springs for softening the ride is the same as removing leaves and WILL allow similar results

those slipper springs have tongues that define the location of the keeper given a specific load range

when changing from thicker to thinner leaves you need to consider relocating the keepers which may not be an option for some folk's abilities/equipment access

this is one reason i avoid slipper springs when buying/building trailers

the shackle system using 3 bolts to hold springs is for me a more reliable system

if your keepers are the welded in place units

th.jpeg
th.jpeg (3.22 KiB) Viewed 3036 times

AND you have welding abilities you could consider moving them fwd a bit

if the keepers are bolt in place units

th-1.jpeg
th-1.jpeg (6.85 KiB) Viewed 3036 times

all you have to do to move them is drill new holes fwd of the existing ones

while at it you should check the nylon eye bushings in the fwd end of the spring to make sure there isn't any slop there which could affect the relative length of the leaves as the arch increases/decreases

in this pic you can see the white eye bushings i'm referring to as well as what industrial/agricultural trailer manufacturers are doing to help with this issue

th-4.jpeg
th-4.jpeg (3.37 KiB) Viewed 3036 times

they use a lip on the 2nd leaf of slippers to help prevent escape

¿ have i muddied the waters enough yet ?

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Ottsville » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:17 am

You could also put straps from trailer to axle to limit extension in that direction the way off road race suspension does.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:16 pm

My Tear also has slippers. I didn't like the noise so I cut a piece of Teflon blocking to cushion and limit wear. Thus pic was taken 2 years ago. Probably 4k miles since I did the mod. Last week I noticed one side is broken as half the block is missing! I'm still figuring out how to post pics!!Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby Stealth TDI » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:16 am

Thanks for the input, everyone. My keeper is broken:

A slightly different angle than previously shared...

With the trailer's weight removed from the wheel...

Bent and broken...

I considered just having the piece welded back into place. However, the center of the retainer is bent pretty bad from being pulverized by the top of the leaf. I have a replacement on order, arriving Thursday, and will have it welded that evening or Friday. I'm also going to return to a stiffer spring. I discovered some 1000# springs with four leafs instead of two. Apparently, using more leafs that are thinner provides a more linear progression of tension. My understanding is that the ride when unloaded will be softer than with two thicker leafs, but stiffer as the load increases and the other leafs come into play.

I'll share a photo or two when the job is done.

Thanks Again,

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rkanz » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:10 am

Adding Teflon spring liners will improve the ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ottsville » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:53 am

If you are swapping out springs and re-welding things, why not convert to regular dual-eye type springs?
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Stealth TDI » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:30 am

Hello,

Ottsville wrote:If you are swapping out springs and re-welding things, why not convert to regular dual-eye type springs?

Time savings and level of effort mostly. My initial goal was to get the job done as swiftly as possible. That meant simply welding a new hanger in exactly the same position as the original. I ordered the part. Then I decided to upgrade the springs. Again, using the same configuration is the fastest way to do the swap. On initial look, I didn't see any double-eye leafs that are the same length as my slippers. So that compelled me to believe that I'd have to either weld all four mounting points or move my fenders since the axle would relocate fore or aft. I don't have a welder or know how to weld. That may change if I really want to make some changes, but it's not happening now. I just want the trailer back on the road. I'll tackle other improvements when I think I have the time and motivation to start welding for myself, especially if I slip my slipper again. ;)

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ottsville » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:46 am

Thank you for the explanation and that makes sense.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Stealth TDI » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:01 pm

All fixed! I rented to a 6x12 utility trailer to transport my broken trailer to a local welder. The new suspension hanger is installed and just needs paint. This is the second time my baby trailer has taken a ride in this trailer. The first was when I had the original fenders removed three years ago.

I didn't notice until now, but I'm glad to see that I had enough threads on the U-bolts to accept the thicker 4-leaf springs. It's raining here now. I'll swap the left side springs and paint the new hanger this weekend.

Thanks for your input,

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:15 am

Love your UNDERSIZE LOAD sign.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets