stove with slip-on propane connection

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

stove with slip-on propane connection

Postby Richrad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:43 pm

burner2.jpg
burner2.jpg (104.74 KiB) Viewed 8365 times
burner1.jpg
burner1.jpg (70.5 KiB) Viewed 8365 times
I recently bought a cute sink/single burner stove combo on Ebay. Looks great in my tiny trailer, and saves a ton of space. The problem I need advice on is connecting it. It has a corrugated (barbed?) pipe for the gas connection. I'm sure these work fine in China (whence it came) but apparently here a flared fitting is required. Any ideas on how to adapt it to a 3/8" flare, or failing that the safest way to connect it as a slip-on? Many counter people at RV stores have threatened me with an immediate and fiery death, so I want to get this right, if only out of spite!
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Re: stove with slip-on propane connection

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Do you have the matching regulator? If not, do you know what gas pressure is required?

Most build-in propane RV appliances require gas pressure of 11" W.C. and therefore require an RV propane regulator. If you have such, then a simple slip the hose on and put a hose clamp around it will be fine. Be sure to check for leaks with soapy water.

I know that flare fittings are required by code for RVs, but there's probably no way you can get there from here.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:15 pm

Some propane stores will do it for you or at least inspect and advise.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:10 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Some propane stores will do it for you or at least inspect and advise.

The advice she's getting is "don't do it, it will catch fire" etc. Which is fine, but not very practical in solving her problem. Hose barbs and clamps can be successfully used if care is taken and you test for leaks from time to time. At 11" w.c. pressure, any leak will be small, and most people turn off the propane at the tank while traveling.

FYI, 11" w.c. is less than 0.5 PSI. It's not going to force the hose off the barb.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby GTS225 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:27 pm

I wonder if a compression-to-flare fitting would be able to seal up on that inlet tube.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 pm

GTS225 wrote:I wonder if a compression-to-flare fitting would be able to seal up on that inlet tube.

Roger

Without seeing it in person, I doubt it. But we don't know any dimensions.
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:40 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:Some propane stores will do it for you or at least inspect and advise.

The advice she's getting is "don't do it, it will catch fire" etc. Which is fine, but not very practical in solving her problem. Hose barbs and clamps can be successfully used if care is taken and you test for leaks from time to time. At 11" w.c. pressure, any leak will be small, and most people turn off the propane at the tank while traveling.

FYI, 11" w.c. is less than 0.5 PSI. It's not going to force the hose off the barb.

<Chas>

Not necessarily. However, it would be better if someone knowledgeable could inspect/measure it in person and advise him. If he goes to someone who deals in propane, they may be able to sell him the parts he needs or at least tell him what to get and how to attach them. That could even be at an RV store.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:44 pm

Sorry, I made a mistake in gender. My fault.

"Many counter people at RV stores have threatened me with an immediate and fiery death," doesn't sound very helpful to me, does it sound helpful to you?

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:11 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:Sorry, I made a mistake in gender. My fault.

"Many counter people at RV stores have threatened me with an immediate and fiery death," doesn't sound very helpful to me, does it sound helpful to you?

<Chas>

You're right, Charles; however, one can usually tell whether the person knows what they are talking about or not. If they put the fear of God in ya, go someplace else. You want to find someone who is level headed and logical.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Nodrog » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:53 am

ohhh...I want to wade in on this one!! So, the hose fitting is held on with 2 screws and a "strap"I guess you might call it, right? So, what is the configuration of that L shaped hose fitting where the gas goes into the rest of the control unit, the brass part? What the heck makes that weird cornbinder fabrication gas tight? Gasket? O ring? Gorilla Glue? no, I got it, chewing gum!!

What I am kind of getting at, is there a way to replace that aluminum? L part with a capped piece of maybe 1/2 copper tube with a flared end? Or any size of iron pipe? 1/4? 3/8? Take it apart and post a pic for us??? I tell ya, I'm dying to see what the design of this connection doodad is! And there are a lot better engineers than I on this forum who might weigh in...

Tear that sucka apart and put some pics on here for us Curious Georges, pullleease!!???? :worship: Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby ACK » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:39 pm

Looks like the same thing is on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/GR-600L-Caravan- ... merReviews

This from the customer questions. Answered by "seller"

Here are product descriptions and listings for hose, regulator and hose barb to pipe adapter.
PRO 1 Fuel Line Hose 7/16 Inch Inside Diameter X 5 Feet Length NRB/PVCC SAE30R6
https://www.amazon.com/Fuel-Inside-Diam ... 17&sr=8-2&
keywords=7%2F16+fuel+hose
Mr. Heater Propane Low Pressure Regulator
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propan ... +regulator
Then you will need a 3/8 NPT Close nipple, a 3/8 to 7/16 reducing bushing and then a 7/16 male npt to 7/16 hose barb. These are usually available at most hardware stores, Lowes, Home Depot or auto parts supply, they can help you select the correct or alternate parts. Secure hose to barbs on stove and regulator with clamps. Use plumbers Teflon thread sealant on all threaded connections then check for leaks with soap bubbles.
Hope this helps, let me know if you need more help.
It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
B. Springsteen 1977
ACK
Donating Member

Postby Richrad » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:59 am

Thanks to all, especially Ack for the shopping list! And to nodrog (just so you can sleep at night): that tube sits in a sort of saddle clamp, which seals with a small O-ring against a hole in the burner casting. No chewing gum :lol:
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets