mattress question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

mattress question

Postby cr500taco » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:29 pm

I am going to be building my first trailer. It will be on a 5X8 utility trailer. It will be used to haul my gear, as well as sleeping in I was thinking about a full size air mattress, since it can be be stowed away, but was wondering if there's any other ideas for beds that can be stowed away.
cr500taco
Teardrop Inspector

Re: mattress question

Postby lfhoward » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:37 pm

An IKEA mattress is more supportive than an air mattress and it can be rolled up out of the way. Mine is secured with ratchet straps to keep it rolled up. The trailer is 6x8 for comparison, and the mattress is a full size.

My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:56 pm

I put air mattresses in the horrible box.

They conduct cold like no other mattress. Sooner or later they leak. The firmness changes with the air temperature.

That's my all-negative-six-bits. Not the answer you were looking for. Grab a good roll-up foam mattress.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:11 pm

IKEA full mattress for me.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:21 pm

tony.latham wrote:I put air mattresses in the horrible box.

They conduct cold like no other mattress. Sooner or later they leak. The firmness changes with the air temperature.

That's my all-negative-six-bits. Not the answer you were looking for. Grab a good roll-up foam mattress.

Tony
Everything that Tony said.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cosmo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:55 pm

Ikea futon Queen sized mattress is doing a good job for me.
Sorry no experience with anything else.

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby les45 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 am

I've used a 4" queen size memory foam topper on my last two builds (Overstock.com). I left the first one flat in my weekender but rolled up the one for my pop-up. They are made with 1.5" of memory foam and 2.5" of regular firm foam. We did not like the memory foam side because of the dents that it created when you lay on it. It felt like you were crawling out of a hole when you try to roll over. Also, the memory foam gets hard when it's cold. We simply flipped the mattresses over and sleep on the regular foam side. It will bottom out when you are on all fours but fully supports the body when you stretch out lying down.
les45
500 Club

Postby redbicycle » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:06 am

You can by a foam mattress that folds in thirds. Search Amazon or eBay for tri-fold mattress. That may be stowed enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby fishboat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:00 am

Tried the futon & foam topper thing..didn't work for me. I've been using queen-sized air mattresses for years and they work fine..very comfortable and packs away if needed. The one I have now is a $17 intex-brand. This summer will be its 4th or 5th season. Eventually it'll pop a leak..and I'll get another, but they can last if you take care of them. The mattress may need a a few pumps of air over a 3-4 day period. Not a perfect solution, but there are few perfect solutions to any problem...they can work.

The cold-air issue is solved via a "Heavy Duty Reflective Survival Space Blanket" laid on top....mylar facing up.

A dedicated for-real mattress is the nicest, but then you need a dedicated space for it or a lowered-from-the-ceiling setup to get it out of the way..in a CTC at least.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion