Windproof Canopy

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Windproof Canopy

Postby Cosmo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:24 am

I was searching for a windproof canopy and I came across this.
Weighs in at about 100 pounds. Packages length is 5 feet.
2 inch square steel tubing on the frame. Heavy duty 10X10 model costs bout $1500
Not practical for my use but the demo is pretty impressive.
https://youtu.be/RuSfJseSoaA?t=4
=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Re: Windproof Canopy

Postby tiiiiii85 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:50 pm

It is impressive indeed, but also a total overkill!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
tiiiiii85
Teardrop Builder

Postby Cathy P. » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 am

The issue I see is how to properly anchor them. Few places we have been where you could drive anything into the ground, although now with tons of rain, I would probably be able to drive a stake to China at an angle. I did go to their website, and they have some cool stuff like yurts and cabins. I did wonder what would be left under the canopy after the wind subsided though.
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:30 am

I bought my first up used in 2008. It has a million miles on it and has NEVER retreated from a wind storm. I tie it down on two sides to the trailer and the other two sides to a park picnic table if available or the coolers and tote boxes if not. It has never taken flight and is still serving me today. Here it was attached at the rear of the trailer and we pulled the picnic table inside to have a draft free place to cook , dine and chat. The rear legs were tied off to the table. Image
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:50 am

Here you can really see the red straps protecting the pop up. You can tell it was windy as hell look at that hairdo :frightened:

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby working on it » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:04 am

bobhenry wrote:I bought my first up used in 2008. It has a million miles on it and has NEVER retreated from a wind storm. I tie it down on two sides to the trailer and the other two sides to a park picnic table if available or the coolers and tote boxes if not. It has never taken flight and is still serving me today. Here it was attached at the rear of the trailer and we pulled the picnic table inside to have a draft free place to cook , dine and chat. The rear legs were tied off to the table. Image

Bought and used my first Ezy-Up in 2013, and it's still working fine. I use the same methodology to strap mine down, including to my pickup, and barbell weights. I carry at least a dozen motorcycle straps, and 2-3 dozen bungee cords to every campsite. But, just-in-case, I bought a second pop-up canopy a couple of years back to replace it, but I've never had to, yet.
bungeed canopy, typical.jpg
bungeed canopy, typical.jpg (182.49 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:09 pm

It's a shame Kelty discontinued the Tailgater.

:oops: :oops:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby exminnesotaboy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:42 pm

We picked up a Clam canopy and had it in mild to slightly strong winds and it is a rock. I have no doubt it would hold up well in strong winds as long as you have it staked on the corners and the sides are guyed out. The guy-out mounts are located mid side of the canopy, so you are less prone to trip over them. Image
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 pm

We are of one mind. I just purchased a Clam Sky model.

I was out in 47 MPH winds in Montauk NY in October. The Clams were still standing after all the other 4 legged shelters blew down, But as the other comments in this thread show there is no substitute for a proper erection!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05DdGe2Iq-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TpVSHZgP70
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... am+shelter

The Clam Sky variation I purchased comes with a removable rain fly removable side walls and removable floor (video coming soon). Its 6 feet long packed Weighs about 40 pounds (not sure). Self erects in less than 1 min. I purchased from Home depot. It cost me $527 at Home Depot (pickup with 90 day return).
Clam type yurt design with the center wall anchor points are a great innovation (in my opinion).

I called Clam Outdoors and they said 47 MPH exceeds the recommended wind speed. But there are many videos showing this type shelter with the mid point tie out withstanding heavy wind. The origins of these self erecting shelters is ice fishing (where once sober men go to stare into auger holes at god forsaken temperatures to match wits with half frozen fish) There are lots of heavy winds on the barren ice.

Only durability concern with the Clams is the metal, poles and fabric coexisting need to be handled with care when transporting and erecting or take down.

When I take a date out camping in 90 mile per hour winds with our chairs bolted to the ground, weights around our ankles, seat belts on, helmets on (visors down) sipping our martinis while counting soda straws penetrating trees and watching the roofs be ripped off homes. With wind tears in my eyes and face distorted by wind. I like to pat myself on the back for having the common sense to purchase an extra large sippy martini glass with a lid and straw.

=Cosmo
Last edited by Cosmo on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Esteban » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:37 am

Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:23 pm

How about some of the east coast guys with the glass pole entry door, rain covers :QM
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:26 am

tony.latham wrote:It's a shame Kelty discontinued the Tailgater.
:oops: :oops:
Tony

And their Carport

Mine could work on the side or galley, I used it most of the time as a privacy tent when getting up.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby DWT77 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:03 am

DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Esteban » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:31 pm

A square kelty-discovery-shade-shelter may work well. I covers 10" x 10' with a 78" peak height. It's on clearance at REI for $77.93.

A triangular kelty-sunshade also may work well. It has a covered area of 78 sq. ft. with a peak height of 87". REI sells it for $149.95.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:57 pm

One of several shelters I am using is the REI Alcove (the predecessor) of the Kelty Discovery shelter. I use it quite a bit and like it. Goes up over the Galley for cooking in the rain. I use the other for sun and rain sitting. For my use (camp in any weather) the weak spot is winds above 22mph. I take down the canopy (leaving the frame up) in high winds. I use all the steak out points and additional stability cord. But the aerodynamics of the thing really stress the canopy in wind (in my opinion).

Cosmo
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion