Angle Iron livestock vs C channel enclosed, holding tanks.

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby rebar » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:51 pm

Ive been shopping for a trailer and talking to K&O in Hull Iowa. They'll build me the narrow track axle option I want, but I just noticed the majority of the trailer is built from angle iron. I imagine this is common and helps keep a livestock floor low. But the cargo trailers and campers Ive considered have space in the frame for tanks and utilities because they use C channel.

This K&O pace setter is built like a tank with 20 gauge skin, 7k straight axles etc, but I'm not envisioning allot of clearance/protection for holding tanks. Or maybe my problem is the tanks will be more visible and exposed. And I don't need 2x10's, but 3/4 plywood floor, which is just to exposed and low again.

I'm thinking converting it will be more challenging, because I will have to build a raised floor 6" over the existing, but the ramp door would have to be raised the same amount..

Considering I want allot of water under my trailer, is a livestock trailer a bad idea because its so low?

Thanks!
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_20160809_135753711.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20160809_135753711.jpg (224.09 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Re: Angle Iron livestock vs C channel enclosed, holding tank

Postby Az Pete » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:06 pm

do you need a ramp door?

It would be easier to understand if you posted a sketch of the finished trailer, or described what the end product is to accomplish.

I like the idea of a raised floor, it could give you a lot of storage, in addition to space for your tanks and make it easy to wire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Az Pete
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebar » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:41 pm

A ramp door is a must have and end product is a toyhauler designed to handle forest service roads and the yukon highway. The raised floor does sound useful but time consuming and additional expense.

K&O said they could use straight axles which is a 3" lift.

I have another builder who will build me a traditional cargo trailer. But its more expensive with thinner skin.
Attachments
pacesetter.jpg
pacesetter.jpg (24.7 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (384.09 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby Az Pete » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:07 pm

That is a nice looking trailer.

Hope you don't give up on the sturdier trailer. Having over 30 years work experience driving FS roads, I can vouch for "sturdier is better". We had horse trailers that were over 20 years old, and I am not sure a cargo trailer would have lasted that long. A travel trailer surely would not have.

Can you raise the floor, but have the rear most part taper down to the door hinge? Would probably have to be at a steeper angle than the ramp, but manageable, I think.

Or conventional doors with ramps? Just hang the ramps on the doors for travel.

Az Pete
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebar » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:25 am

Az Pete wrote:That is a nice looking trailer.

Hope you don't give up on the sturdier trailer. Having over 30 years work experience driving FS roads, I can vouch for "sturdier is better". We had horse trailers that were over 20 years old, and I am not sure a cargo trailer would have lasted that long. A travel trailer surely would not have.

Can you raise the floor, but have the rear most part taper down to the door hinge? Would probably have to be at a steeper angle than the ramp, but manageable, I think.

Or conventional doors with ramps? Just hang the ramps on the doors for travel.

I thought about tapering the floor to nothing in the rear to match door height.. But If I'm paying to have a custom trailer built, it will be how I need it, or nothing at all.

Here is a "narrow track" enclosed trailer.. I offered $4k with no response.. In fact I offered that last year when they had it on craigslist..

https://madison.craigslist.org/tro/d/madison-enclosed-trailer-7-18-carson/6837495212.html
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets