Off Road 8.5X20

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Off Road 8.5X20

Postby albertaborealis » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:01 am

Hi Everyone:
I have ordered a Cross Trailer. It is finished and will soon be shipped up to Alberta where I live. My wife and I travel up and down the Rockies from central Alberta to Northern BC. We also go into the Yukon and Alaska. We like to go off grid and down some rough trails. Therefore we had to think carefully about how to build our trailer. We have this:
1. Trailer raised two inches
2. Skid rollers welded on back
3. No beavertail
4. 6000lb Torsion tandem axles
5. 16" Tires
6. Ramp door

The box:
1. 8.5X20' V Nose, with Slant Wedge Front
2. 7' interior
3. Three windows installed; 36" RV door with window; screen door
4. Custom paint: rear black, front silver
5. Two vents; two lights with switch; 6 D-rings.

This will be a toy hauler. We have quads, side by sides, and walking beam axle trailers. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 with Cummins diesel. So hauling some weight is no problem.

Once the trailer arrives I will send some photos. I think I have figured out my solar and electrical system. If you like I can submit a diagram for your inspection and possible advice.
Thanks,
Richard
albertaborealis
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Off Road 8.5X20

Postby albertaborealis » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:05 pm

This is a scheme for my solar/electrical system.
I am indebted to Don (Flboy) whose ideas and diagram shaped mine. Thanks Don.
I appreciate any feedback if I am doing something wrong, or could do it better.
Richard

albertaborealis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BCsteve » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:52 pm

Sounds like a solid trailer you have on order!
BCsteve
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kirkupnorth » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:13 pm

Exciting time -- can't wait to see your build!

We also bought a Cross trailer, and we have been VERY happy with the quality.

Have fun with it, and post lots of pictures.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pm

Hey Richard,
Welcome, I'm glad you joined us. That sounds like a nice trailer you got coming. Sounds like you are a man who enjoys his toys and the outdoors. I'll be honest, I had to look up "walking beam axle trailers" and I'm glad I did. They look like a very handy addition to the side x sides and ATVs. So I looked at your plan for power and wiring and it seems pretty solid. The only thing I would have concern about is the size of your A/C main breaker. You show it as 15 amp, and then all of the branch circuit breakers as 15 amp also. Probably gonna need a 30 amp main if you ever need to use more than one circuit with mid sized or better load. Lets say a small ceramic heater 1500w or 13.6amps and a drill or pump etc. at 500w or 4.5amps, even if they are on separate branch circuits the total amperage would need to pass through the main. In this case it would be 18.1amps, likely tripping the 15 amp main. 30 amp service is standard for smaller RVs and should be plenty. If you had an electric stove and Air conditioner(s) and elect. H2O heater you might need a 50 amp service. I hope that makes sense.. Other than that the big picture looks good to me.
Good luck and have fun with your build. Take lots of pics and keep us in the loop if you can.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby albertaborealis » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:58 am

McDave
Thanks for those insights. I will have a good look at those figures and try to incorporate them.
Presently I am overseas doing some volunteer work. Hope to be home in two weeks. The trailer should be delivered at the same time. Then I can post pictures and show my plans.
It is a real blessing to have advice and insights on this forum. I think part of the fun is the journey in making something you love and will be proud of.
All the best.
Richard
albertaborealis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby stupido » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:08 pm

On the electrical, I would put a fuse or breaker near the batteries. Also on 1/0 cable it is not rated at 300 amps. The ampacity depends cable type and whether it is in air or not but NEC puts it at no more than 170 for 1/0. So I would downsize the 300 amp fuse. Since I have the schematic and not the layout, maybe the fuse and breaker are close enough to the batteries.
stupido
Teardrop Builder

Postby albertaborealis » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:12 pm

Hi Stupido
I hated to write that name but it's the only name you gave me. I hope it is said tongue in cheek!

Thanks for the advice. Indeed the fuse needs to go nearer the battery. I will do that. I will also upgrade the wire to 4/0. I should have done that right away on my schematic. What do you think, should I put a 200amp fuse block with that?

On my trailer I am not planning for a heavy 110v draw. Even my refrigerator will be a 9 cubic foot Unique Solar Fridge. Only 12v.

I really appreciate the advice and the positive remarks. Very encouraging!

Richard
albertaborealis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby albertaborealis » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Hey Kirkupnorth
You wrote, "We also bought a Cross trailer, and we have been VERY happy with the quality."
I checked out your build. That's a nice job you did. I hope that I can do a build that will also work well and be nice to show to others.
Richard
albertaborealis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby albertaborealis » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:34 pm

Hey McDave
Here is photo of the walking beam axle trailer that I made. We are at least 20 miles from the nearest road; winter camping; ice fishing. The grandkids are in the trailer and are very comfortable. Needless to say, we take it very easy.
Richard
albertaborealis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby stupido » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:57 pm

albertaborealis wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Indeed the fuse needs to go nearer the battery. I will do that. I will also upgrade the wire to 4/0. I should have done that right away on my schematic. What do you think, should I put a 200amp fuse block with that?

I would put the main fuse just after the cut off switch. I would hook the solar charge controller just past the fuse for the DC fuse block. Hence the DC fuse block would be fused by the main fuse and its fuse. The charge controller would be protected by the smaller fuse and thus you could downgrade the wire size to it.

I don't think you need to upgrade the wire size to 4/0. What does the manual for the inverter spec for continuous current draw? 3000 watts at 24 volt input and 88% efficiency is 142 amps. So the 1/0 wire is fine. Fuse it at 175 amps. The surge rating for the inverter is higher but if the wire run is short, we size it for the continuous draw.

On the DC fuse block, have you looked at your DC loads? 125 amps is fairly big current draw. You might be able to downsize the fuse and wire to save money and hassle.

BTW, I picked Stupido along time ago for furms so if I ask or say something stupid...
stupido
Teardrop Builder

Postby albertaborealis » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:21 am

Stupido
Thanks for the advice. Some food for thought. Definitely the fuse is going close to the batteries.

Just some specs:
AIMS 3000 Pure Sine Wave recommends that for DC 12V Input use AWG 4/0.
Blue Sea System Fuse Block ST Blade recommends circuit protect of not more than 125A ahead of Fuse Block.

So I will probably stick to 4/0. The runs will not be long and I will make my own cables using a hydraulic crimper. I have been reading the amperage/cable size charts from Blues Sea and Solar Systems that suggest 300A ANL Fuse to go with that. What I am calculating for is both safety and a system that runs as cool as possible.

As for the 12V fuse block you are right that I have a high rated fuse. My calculations show that I will only ever be drawing only a fraction of 125A. I picked a system that is overkill, but it is economical, quality, and has potential for other things down the line. But I will consider reducing the amperage of the fuse going into the block. Maybe even a more modest fuse block.

I really appreciate the advice. It's helping me to think everything through carefully, and to make some changes.
Richard
albertaborealis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby stupido » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:28 am

Yeah, for some reason I was thinking of a 24 V inverter instead of a 12 V inverter. A hydraulic crimper makes it much easier. Last summer for work I crimped a bunch of terminals on 1/0 with a hand crimper. It had lots of leverage but still gave one a workout.
stupido
Teardrop Builder

Postby albertaborealis » Mon May 13, 2019 11:48 am

I received my trailer and have started installing tanks underneath

albertaborealis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PiddleFart » Mon May 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Where did you get your water tank from?

Thanks, Darin
PiddleFart