Heirloom cast iron

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Heirloom cast iron

Postby Mr. Lahey » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:22 am

I just got my first 2 pieces of cast iron cookware out of the blue. My girlfriend's dad was an avid camper from the 1940's and on. Found these 2 items when cleaning out the basement at her parents house.

Got a #8 skillet and cover and what I now know is a Scotch bowl with a cover. Her family called the bowl a dutch oven. However it has a round bottom not flat. Underside says ERIE 781 #3. Looking forward to learn cast iron cooking with them when camping.

What I'm really looking forward to is cleaning them with electrolysis method I found while researching these items. Oh Man!! How cool is this. A chance to mix together water, metal, and a good few amps of electricity too!! Plus generate some hydrogen gas while I'm at it. Can't get much more exciting than that. :twisted:

casta.jpg
casta.jpg (75.63 KiB) Viewed 7260 times

cast2a.jpg
cast2a.jpg (78.74 KiB) Viewed 7260 times
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Re: Heirloom cast iron

Postby tmclemore » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:54 am

Wow great find. I love old cast iron.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:17 am

Good for you! Once you start, it's hard to stop collecting it. I can't tell for sure, but the skillet with the lid looks deeper then usual. If it is then it's a chicken fryer. Getting both lids is fantastic.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to trying some cooking in them.

Wood Butcher- I think you are right about the pan being a chicken fryer.
It's about 3" deep. A google search confirmed your thoughts.
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:10 am

And the castironitis has set in...... Got my 1st dutch oven just in time for the 09 shivaree and made a great beef stew as my first dinner. Now 10 years and 49 pieces later I have made damn near everything ( including home made ice cream ) in a dutch oven.

Image breakfast cassarole

Imagehot yeast bread

Image big honkin meatloaf

Oh if you forget your skillet you always have the lid for the breakfast sausage patties

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:12 pm

Here is the video we made on cast iron cooking for the 2013 tearjerkers gathering if you are interested. Part 1 - 2 and 4 there is no part 3... My videographer can't count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trowX9DxwVI
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:56 pm

Thanks Bob for the link.

I stumbled on one of your vids earlier, and look forward to watching the rest of them.

For now I'm going to set the cookware to the side. Going to focus on completing the camper.
I'm about 85% camp able with my teardrop project. I hope to be very close to campable with the tear before I have to shut down for the winter.
In a couple weeks I have a long run of vacation time. Really hope to make big progress with the time.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby rjgimp » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:46 pm

Mr. Lahey wrote:I just got my first 2 pieces of cast iron cookware out of the blue. My girlfriend's dad was an avid camper from the 1940's and on. Found these 2 items when cleaning out the basement at her parents house.

Got a #8 skillet and cover and what I now know is a Scotch bowl with a cover. Her family called the bowl a dutch oven. However it has a round bottom not flat. Underside says ERIE 781 #3. Looking forward to learn cast iron cooking with them when camping.

What I'm really looking forward to is cleaning them with electrolysis method I found while researching these items. Oh Man!! How cool is this. A chance to mix together water, metal, and a good few amps of electricity too!! Plus generate some hydrogen gas while I'm at it. Can't get much more exciting than that. :twisted:

casta.jpg

cast2a.jpg

WOW!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Those are some fantastic pieces! Electrolysis is fun and all and you end up with a clean slate but from what I can decipher of your photos the finish of those items looks great. I would be inclined to leave that beautiful seasoning intact. Before trying to remove it, run a little test. Wash them both up real good with some hot water and a plastic scrubby pad and then try frying something in them like an egg and see if it releases well. If you have a relatively non-stick surface, I certainly wouldn't ruin it.

Happy cooking!
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:02 am

I have had good luck with chain mail scrubbers. Not expensive on Amazon.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:13 pm

Thanks for the clean em up and try em as is tip guys! Makes sense to me. :thumbsup:

Going to give that a whirl first before I break out the battery charger and tub full of solution.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Return to Cast Iron