Another one-off storage extension project for my truck

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Another one-off storage extension project for my truck

Postby working on it » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:01 pm

working on it wrote:* Storage is my Achilles' heel... I'm never happy with what I've got, or where it's stored. This time, my project is AGAIN on my tow vehicle, not the 4x8 trailer.

* This will be an easy modification, I hope, and I've already started on it, with one part ordered today, and looking for/finding most of the other pieces I'll need to complete it. The part ordered is another wire shelf(I love those things), like the other four I've attached to my trailer as exterior storage racks (1 x 48" wide, and 3 x 30" wide); but those were zinc-chrome (not intended for permanent exposure to rain...OK for racks which spend 90% of their time in the garage), and I needed one that was meant for wet conditions (like outdoors 100% of the time, in my truck bed), so I bought a black epoxy-coated wire shelf, 14" high x 54" long x 1" thick (when stood on its' side) to make my own version of a fold-down bed extender (that sits on the open tailgate for added loads.

* There are plenty of model-specific and universal bed extenders out there, and I'm sure some of you have one, but I just had to go my way, and make a specialty piece only a mother could love. My first thoughts went directly to wire shelves, again, because they've been very useful and easy to adapt (function over form!), and I figure that I can do this project for $50, so why not? Since I've already finished my bed-cover project, and still couldn't fit-in my fourth (and best) cooler into the truck (it was going to ride in the passenger seat of my regular cab), I wasn't going to settle for that storage failure. Thus, a tailgate storage section, for use only when going on 4-7 day campouts, when I need all my coolers My newest cooler can now ride under the cover panels in the bed, while the largest/oldest cooler can ride on the tailgate (in the confinement of the bed-extender.

* I have the hardware to mount the shelf on the tailgate (Rubbermaid wire-shelf mounting clips, which will work on another brand), assorted sizes of TEK screws to self-drill into the sheetmetal, and a locking hasp to secure the shelf when the tailgate is raised (if it needs it, which I doubt). All I have to make is the side-braces that keep it upright when the tailgate is down, and also add bounce resistance to the tailgate and load; triangulated aluminum flat stock comes to mind....
2004 Silverado regular cab needs more storage possibilties, the truck & the plan.jpg
2004 Silverado regular cab needs more storage possibilties, the truck & the plan.jpg (256.81 KiB) Viewed 650 times
photo overlay, and main part for tailgate mod project.jpg
photo overlay, and main part for tailgate mod project.jpg (177.49 KiB) Viewed 650 times

* I would rather make my own equipment than buy off-the-shelf (pun intended) parts that anyone could get. That's where my don't give a sh.t attitude and old-age don't care what u-think go hand-in-hand. If it works, great, if not, then I'll re-purpose it elsewhere. I have fun doing this sort of thing!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Another one-off storage extension project for my truck

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Are you headed to the Congo for two years? Maybe three?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:00 pm

tony.latham wrote:Are you headed to the Congo for two years? Maybe three?

T

* Practically anywhere but there....It seems I've become a packrat, overpacker, and semi-prepper over the years, without realizing it until too late. I hate relying on the mercy of others, and I'd rather give stuff away than borrow something...a fact that others often took advantage of, as I would supply my friends, family, co-workers, and dragracing team-mates with supplies and tools that I'd always have (extra) on hand. It just became a part of my makeup. Too late to change now.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:31 pm

It seems I've become a packrat, overpacker, and semi-prepper

Man, how I relate to what you say! :ok:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion