square back rough draft drawing

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

square back rough draft drawing

Postby bobed » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:28 pm

I have been playing around with a design that will work on my old pop-up trailer and would allow 3-4 people to sleep. I am a little concerned about this being rear heavy. I plan to put my water holding tank, propane and batteries in the front but not sure if that will be enough. Any thoughts?
Attachments
TRAILER SIDE VIEW.pdf
(20.46 KiB) Downloaded 1281 times
bobed
Teardrop Inspector

Re: square back rough draft drawing

Postby Aguyfromohio » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:27 pm

At a glance the proportions look to have the wheels a bit further forward than most teardrops, so I see why you ask.
If you put all those heavy items at the very front of the cabin it will likely be OK.

You might be wise to have a plan B in mind if you end up too light on the hitch ball, like moving the battery out into a hitch box, so you don't need to move the axle back on a finished trailer.
It's seriously important for safety have 10 to 15 % of total trailer weight on the ball.
Last edited by Aguyfromohio on Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobed » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:34 pm

I was hoping to have the door where I could climb in next to the mattress to help keep dirt off the bed but the more I think about it I am thinking about moving everything up and cutting the back of the trailer off to get my proportions more tongue heavy. I feel like that would be easier for me to do then move the axle. I have experienced towing a trailer that was loaded back heavy and man was that a scary experience.
bobed
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:23 pm

Great site for helping locating your axle position. No need to guess.

https://mechanicalelements.com/trailer-axle-position/
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DWATTS76 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:29 pm

I drew up a similar version to yours, but I have been experimenting on different galley doors. Finding one that is both weight and cost effective has been the burden.
Swing open, can be heavy but stays open, until its windy.
Lift up, can be heavy, but acts as an awning for when your'e cooking.

and the latest one...I have been mulling over....Have you ever seen the aluminum rollup security shutter at the pharmacies.....(kinda like the roll top desks....) Yeah....I'm toying with this idea too....its trying to figure out the weight...every time I call the dealer, I get the "you're gonna do WHAT with this?"

Plan, Plan, Plan, Plan, Plan.....and plan some more.
DWATTS76
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Donatello1 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:14 pm

I think I read somewhere that you should shoot for a 60%/40% weight to give you 10 to 15 % on the trailer hitch. I feel that your 60 should be measured from the start of the front wall of your trailer, not the trailer ball. The propane tank and box will give only a little % of the weight. It really depends on the amenities that you add inside and where you place them. For instance, air conditioners weigh anywhere from 60 to 100 pounds. Adding a tailgate mounted refrigerator will subtract from tongue weight, etc.
Donatello1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rjgimp » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:09 pm

DWATTS76 wrote:...every time I call the dealer, I get the "you're gonna do WHAT with this?"

:lol:

You should tell him sometime what some of us do with foam, canvas, and glue!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby JMailbox8 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:19 am

I am doing this exact thing with my pop up frame. However, the wife is insistent that we put a bathroom in it for a small Theford potty; it would be 24"x32" opposite of the entrance door. I'm also using an Ikea futon frame to make the full size bed into a bench seat that can slide to the back wall and give space for a fold up table along the bathroom wall. For the galley, I'm going to have a lower portion with swing out doors and a swing up hatch above, similar to the Colorado Teardrop's Mount Massive edition. https://youtu.be/TrrsCPVvvQY I love the hinged tables on the swing out doors. :thumbsup:
JMailbox8
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:50 am

JMailbox8 wrote: For the galley, I'm going to have a lower portion with swing out doors and a swing up hatch above, similar to the Colorado Teardrop's Mount Massive edition. https://youtu.be/TrrsCPVvvQY I love the hinged tables on the swing out doors. :thumbsup:

Haven't seen that before :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Sketch up designs