Guess I’d better introduce myself over here...

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

Guess I’d better introduce myself over here...

Postby MatBirch » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:23 pm

Hi there,
I had originally started my build planning on a foamie. As time and material and money have begun to work together, plans have changed. It will now be wood framed, sprayed with 2# expanding urethane foam, sheeted with plywood, and skinned with PMF.
Here’s the beginnings of build thread over in Foamies for those interested. It follows me up through the frame and subfloor.
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=71481

Over the last couple weeks, it’s been a little slow going. Planning, sourcing materials, etc. I had gotten my wall profiles partially completed flat on my deck. Stacked both together to ensure they are uniform. I had to build them in pieces. Here’s a test fit-up to see if the profile was acceptable.

Jump ahead to today- had a kick-butt day, and got a pile of progress made!

Still have a bit of framing to do for windows, hatches, and the door. I ran myself out of material though.

Another day, I suppose...
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Guess I’d better introduce myself over here...

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:40 am

Looks super! :thumbsup:

I will be following your build for sure. If I ever decide to build a 2nd camper, I want to do a canned ham standee. First I have to complete my teardrop.
Then I'll see if I'm up to do another.

Saw the start of your thread in foamie section. I got a real kick out of the lumber wheel wells on the old flatbed donor trailer. Git Er Done technology at it's finest!!

As I look at these photos do I see a crown to your roof spars? Or is it just the photo direction?
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby MatBirch » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:02 am

Mr. Lahey wrote:Looks super! :thumbsup:

As I look at these photos do I see a crown to your roof spars? Or is it just the photo direction?

Yes you do. At 8’ across, I wanted to fight sagging over time. It will never be a walk on roof or need to carry a load, it’s just all about that old, frumpy sagginess over the long haul.
I already have 4” of drop front to back, so runoff is not a problem.
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mr. Lahey » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Have you thought about the compound bend you will need to make with the roof skin? At some point the roof ply will come off the curved spars and need to attach to a flat spar. Will the curved roof panels hit a flat spar before the panel needs to make one of the tight bends for your profile? Plywood bent in 2 different directions can get real nasty to deal with. Just curious as to what you have in mind.
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby MatBirch » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Mr. Lahey wrote:Have you thought about the compound bend you will need to make with the roof skin? At some point the roof ply will come off the curved spars and need to attach to a flat spar. Will the curved roof panels hit a flat spar before the panel needs to make one of the tight bends for your profile? Plywood bent in 2 different directions can get real nasty to deal with. Just curious as to what you have in mind.

Yes. I have a transition section with one spar that isn't crowned. It will (should) allow it settle flat before the rollover. I'm banking on the radius of the profiles to put the wood in enough tension to retain that transition section and keep it from sagging. I will need to have a seam at that spar to make the transition with two separate sheets We use this system at my work with aluminum sheets.
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Why not model it to prove the concept.. :thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:29 am

MatBirch wrote:
Mr. Lahey wrote:Have you thought about the compound bend you will need to make with the roof skin? At some point the roof ply will come off the curved spars and need to attach to a flat spar. Will the curved roof panels hit a flat spar before the panel needs to make one of the tight bends for your profile? Plywood bent in 2 different directions can get real nasty to deal with. Just curious as to what you have in mind.

Yes. I have a transition section with one spar that isn't crowned. It will (should) allow it settle flat before the rollover. I'm banking on the radius of the profiles to put the wood in enough tension to retain that transition section and keep it from sagging. I will need to have a seam at that spar to make the transition with two separate sheets We use this system at my work with aluminum sheets.

:thumbsup: "Git R Done!"

Keep the photo's coming. I've wanted to build a canned ham and am enjoying watching yours go together.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby MatBirch » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:54 pm

Had a great weekend getting a ton of work done. I wrapped up all the framing details, including some rework to account for a window change over the dinette on the rear wall. I got started late Saturday with some plywood, and got almost completed today. That roof and the curves were troublesome to say the least. Mostly just because I don’t have a 40x80 shop with 16’ ceilings, scaffolds, hoists, and A/C. My transition sections on the roof, did however work fantastic. I had no trouble at all going from the flat to the crowned sections. I left the easy pieces off, mostly to give me access for tools, cords, hoses, etc.
still need to router out my openings, do a little bodywork, and I can start the canvas. 8)

MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MatBirch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:09 pm

OK, plywood is finished. On to adding a few nailers in the interior, a little bodywork, and canvas!
8) 8)
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:34 am

:applause: :thumbsup: 8)

looks super! Looking forward to see it develop.
If you put that roof on working under your canopy that must have been quite the challenge.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby MatBirch » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Thanks Mr Lahey!

Yes indeed, it was really challenging to say the least, getting myself up under that tarp. Lol.

We spent of the long weekend playing with friends, camping, riding and teaching the kids to ride dirtbikes, good food, good friends... I opted out a little early today to try to get some work done. I really need this thing dried-in and painted before the weather turns!

I was able to finish up all of the bodywork and fairing, as well as getting the fenderwells cut out.
I got both sides canvassed, and an additional coat of 50/50 TB2 on one.

MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mr. Lahey » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:17 am

:shock: Your killin me with your progress guy. Just amazing. You're working on git r done time. I'm working on retired old guy time. I too am working on canvas covering my camper right now. Blows me away how much you've got done already.

Course my problem is I get a chunk on. Sit in a lawn chair and look at it till lunch time. Then make lunch. Take a nap. Come back at it after a nap. I take it you don't work that way...lol :lol:
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby MatBirch » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:17 pm

Ok, big update tonight. All the canvas is hung and trimmed out!

Some things I learned-
1. It really isn’t that big of a deal. Even with mistakes, it’s pretty easy to recover, regroup, and start again. I was able to get nearly everything done working alone. My 16year old son came over for the weekend, so I had him help me a bit, which did make it faster. Just kept me from walking back and forth from one side to the other.

2. Buy good canvas. I ordered the TuffBoy brand from amazon. They have several 8oz sizes that are seamless. I needed a little extra, so I spliced in a section from a harbor freight 8oz tarp I had picked for my test samples. The weave is a little looser, but since it was only on the roof no one would ever see it, so I went ahead with it. When it cam time to trim out the edges, was where the real difference shows. It does not cut even close to as nicely. Every few cm, there is a little tuft that wouldn’t cut clean, and left a little fray. :thumbdown:

3. Cut off your trimmings every few feet. As the strip gets long, it gets heavy enough to start to tear at the end of your “working cut”. This causes small frays to appear in your finished edge.

4. Don’t work in the rain. :?

5. Don’t attempt to cut any part that matters if there is no glue “sizing” on it.

MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MatBirch » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:48 pm

Finally received my rolls of twill tape to trim out the rest of the body, and got it installed over the weekend. It’s been raining a TON though, and really screwing up progress. I didn’t get a hell of a lot done. Most of today was spent trying to dry things out and reattempt to weather proof the work area so it doesn’t happen again.

MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Question... Is there much fussing making the tape conform when going around the
curve and onto the perpendicular side. I notice no folds nor slitting.....

Thanks
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves