proposed DIY stabilizers for the Nutmeg, a 750lb lightweight

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: proposed DIY stabilizers for the Nutmeg, a 750lb lightwe

Postby Bob Hammond » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:14 pm

tony.latham wrote:I'm wondering if this isn't a springs vs. torsion axle issue? :thinking:

T

I think you might have put your finger on it. The suspension on my trailer is a swingarm design, with spring-shocks from a big Harley-Davidson that are designed to give a softer right to a guy and his gal. If you think about it, 1/2 of 750lbs is 375lbs, which is about the combined weight of the guy and his gal on the bike (or maybe a bit less).
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Re: proposed DIY stabilizers for the Nutmeg, a 750lb lightwe

Postby Bob Hammond » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:06 am

Here are the stabilizers in place. They are a great improvement, believe me. Aside stopping the wiggle & shake, they make leveling the trailer much easier. They have about 5-6 inches of useful extension.

The posts were made from a downrod pipe scavenged from a defunct ceiling fan, and the jackscrews are aluminum, from Camco jackstands. They weigh just a few lbs each, and swing down from the trailer frame. During travel they are swung up against the frame and held in place with a bungee cord. You can see my handwheel wrench that is placed on the left post. The posts and handwheel are painted safety yellow just to make sure that they're noticed by the driver before pulling away.

By the way, I figured out a way to retain the jackscrews within the posts with a bit of bungee cord passed through the screws (they're hollow) and pipe, with a loop around the pivot bolt that attaches the post to the frame.
Attachments
jacks.jpg
jacks.jpg (230.63 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets