Side table & french cleat

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Side table & french cleat

Postby edgeau » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:22 am

I am looking at options for side tables. I like the idea of of french cleats but I also like the clever counter leaver approach used by Oregon Trail'r. I don't think it would work without the aluminum clip rail. I foresee a drink jug over balancing it and it coming off the cleat.

Can I do it with out adding a leg?
I may need a leg on the other side anyway as I will be putting the Webber Q on one coming straight off the side and the BBQ is pretty heavy.
40c7c1400773a4a8edfb02ffe06f5f0c.jpg
40c7c1400773a4a8edfb02ffe06f5f0c.jpg (47.39 KiB) Viewed 3866 times

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Re: Side table & french cleat

Postby TimC » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:37 am

I just finished a small (11x11) side shelf that is hung using stainless steel frame hanging brackets. I'm happy with how this turned out and have designed it to hold a 2 gallon water jug; no more than 25 pounds. A Weber Grill would require a shelf more than twice this size and definitely a leg with some way to adjust its length.

I think these brackets are perfect for a small shelf that won't carry a lot of weight. I paid less than eight bucks shipped for eight brackets (enough for two selves).

Tim

Last edited by TimC on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:33 am

Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby azgreg » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:06 pm

I like how caseydog did his.

caseydog wrote:I have camped in CK2 four times, and every time I come back with ideas for improvement.

My main goal is to make CK2 easier to hook up, head out, and set up at camp, and then take down and go home after camping.

I also did one cosmetic change.

First, I repainted the frame to be all black, instead of the multi-tone paint job I had. I think it gives the TD a more solid foundation, and it looks more like the "tent on wheels" that I saw in my head.

I also revised the side table. Gone is the monopod leg, replaced by an arm that makes it independent of the ground. The TD can move without messing up the table, and the table hooks up in seconds, and comes off in seconds.

CD
azgreg
Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:07 am

I have done the side that will take the Webber Q BBQ. I figured out how to make an adjustable leg that still folds in nicely. So I think I will do the same again. And it just so happens to be perfect for supporting long pieces of timber hanging off my work bench ImageImageImage

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:42 am

FinishedImageImageImageImage

edgeau
500 Club

Postby GTS225 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:27 am

edgeau wrote:FinishedImageSent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

*********************************************************************************

UH-OH! Gravity problem! :o ;)

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:33 am

I think you would be better served by using the aluminum cleat hardware (inner & outer cleats) & an outrigger leg, which can telescope a bit. It's a compromise I know, but it would be light, strong & easy to set up on uneven terrain. We have small shelves at our galley, but your BBQ needs to be far enough away from the sides & supported well for weight. A cantilevered shelf would need to be strong & well attached to work, but it's starting to look like a fair amount of engineering to make it work properly. I still like the KISS method for everyday use.

This is what we did for extra space, but there's not much of a load & the shelves are relatively small. Aluminum extrusions & folding supports work well enough for light stuff.

In the bottom shot, the rearmost support was 'blocked out" with a small cleat, which was attached to the 1/8" interior side prior to skinning the outside. The folding supports have padded edges (bar top non-skid glued in place), so the painted aluminum won't scratch when the shelves are set in place & carrying weight.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby edgeau » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:28 pm

GTS225 wrote:
edgeau wrote:FinishedImageSent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

*********************************************************************************

UH-OH! Gravity problem! :o ;)

Roger
Oops. Now how do I make that an advantage

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:29 pm

noseoil wrote:I think you would be better served by using the aluminum cleat hardware (inner & outer cleats) & an outrigger leg, which can telescope a bit.

I guess I didn't make it clear that the leg does telescope. It has a wood inner that slides and holes every 2cm to put a D shackle through.

I went with a wood cleat as I could make it and not try to get something shipped from the other side of the world

edgeau
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:37 pm

noseoil wrote:I think you would be better served by using the aluminum cleat hardware (inner & outer cleats)

I am stuck between this; and The way Todd has done his, with receiver tubing! but still watching them all.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gudmund » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:51 am

my choice for a fully adjustable side leg for holding up my side-tables is the "tried and true" low$$ 'used second hand' set of medical "crutch's".... have been using the same ones since I built my side tables in 2012. Cost about $2.00 for a set of them at the local 'second' hand store. After I did a bit of 'adjustment' cutting for finding the happy 'medium' for a level starting point when parked on a level surface, I ended up with enough future 'up/down' un-level adjustment points in one-inch increments for when the ground surface levels change depending on the camp site chosen. And as one of the limerick's I have read here on this forum states: "People in the 'teardrop' group consider stealing ideas a compliment!!" I admit - I stole this one from 'someone' here years ago (along with the limerick)....and it works pretty good......... 160441 take care
gudmund
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:31 am

gudmund wrote:my choice for a fully adjustable side leg for holding up my side-tables is the "tried and true" low$$ 'used second hand' set of medical "crutch's".... have been using the same ones since I built my side tables in 2012. Cost about $2.00 for a set of them at the local 'second' hand store.

Nice upcycling!

edgeau
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques