Tear Drop Kit $300

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Tear Drop Kit $300

Postby dsherburn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:15 pm

We typically make small stitch and glue boats but a family member wanted a small, light weight shell they could put on a 4x8 trailer. Essentially, a hard shell tent camper off the ground. All plywood CNC machined components ready for epoxy and fiberglass construction. So, we made a prototype and are ready to make some kits. Take a look at the web site for more pictures, but this is obviously a less expensive, basic but very functional unit. www.slsmallcraft.com or email at [email protected]
dsherburn
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Tear Drop Kit $300

Postby friz » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:40 pm

Somebody needs to build one of these.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:40 am

friz wrote:Somebody needs to build one of these.

Chesapeake boats has a similar option. It is too late this year but for a price you can go there and attend a class where they put them together in a week. Got to the website and check out the video.
It is awesome to see them build 4-5 of them at once. I love that idea.
https://www.clcboats.com/teardrop
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:06 am

It would nice to see a dimensioned drawing.

The interior shelf looks a little low to me. Once you get a mattress in there it could be too tight. The trunk/galley looks like it could be made more functional by changing the size and position of the hatch.

What are the materials used? Looks like 1/2 ply which would be ok if glassed. How is the curved part of the roof done? Pre-kerfed 1/2" ply?

I think the idea is a good one, especially with a little refinement of the design.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Squigie » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:01 pm

If I remember correctly, the prototype was all 1/4" ply (with possibly 1/8" for the roof?); but, at one time, there was a note mentioning that that was not intended to be the final material thickness.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:43 pm

A 1/8" roof would be Ok with a few rafters so it won't sag during assembly. A single layer of 1/4" seems a little thin on the flat sides. Maybe a few small studs just to keep it flat during assembly. Or give the sides a bit of bow. With CNC cutting you could cut the roof and floor to fit perfectly. Doesn't take much to really stiffen things up. Doors and windows get more complicated though.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dsherburn » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:30 am

I was using 9mm ply on the top but did pre-kerf it on the CNC to allow the curve to flow...the top does have a CNC routed puzzle joint for the length. Again it's epoxy coated fiberglass; I've torn the prototype apart as I was just checking fits and have started an actual build. I'll post some photos on the website as we progress (have some other boat orders to get out). The Chesapeake Light Craft Tear Drop is a beautiful kit and design! I attend Oshkosh and an event at Road America and was getting tired of tent camping. I just was looking for a basic, inexpensive weatherproof shell to get me off the ground. Thank you for the suggestions on shelf, etc. I'll look at moving things around. Right now the drawing is in the software I use for the CNC and it doesn't produce a nice dimensional drawing but I'll see if I can get something together for comments.
Dan
http://www.slsmallcraft.com
dsherburn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby friz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:19 pm

dmb90260 wrote:
friz wrote:Somebody needs to build one of these.

Chesapeake boats has a similar option. It is too late this year but for a price you can go there and attend a class where they put them together in a week. Got to the website and check out the video.
It is awesome to see them build 4-5 of them at once. I love that idea.
https://www.clcboats.com/teardrop
I already have one, but I would like to see a build journal on this one.

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Return to General Discussion